Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Dude, he has a fee-free secured card from a normal bank and knows how to use it. That is way above average already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This whole conversation actually already happened a dozen pages ago where he posted all the details about this card, so tell you what let's drop it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

There's absolutely no way that you have a 12 ounce food processor. That is the size of a can of soda.

I have one! It is only useful for garlic.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Had to get my appendix removed about 3-4 years ago. Didn't have insurance due to the recession hitting us harder than anywhere. Not really funny it sucked/ still does suck. I don't see a reason to worry about something that can't be helped though.

Quite possibly, your credit won't recover enough to be getting a mortgage until this falls off your report, i.e. another 3 or 4 years. Or until you pay it back (ha. Appendicitis debt in the USA would be one of the few things I have no ethical problem with people skipping out on). I'm sticking with my advice from before: first, save up money for babytimez. Second, once you have that more or less on a steady trajectory, pay off the car. Longer term stuff than that is just going to be really hard to predict right now.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The interest rate on your car loan is 11% and the loan term is five more years, right? Not saying you should or shouldn't sell the car at any point, but you should have getting rid of that loan pretty high in your financial priority list. It sucks hard and it's getting in the way of all your other financial goals.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Forget it. You don't need another thing to think about right now! You are working on meeting a specific budget as I recall? Keep at it, it is a skill and habit that you will need whether you decide to declare bankruptcy at some point or not. The medical debt can wait until later - or never.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mower goes in the trunk with the lid flopping open. Or at least that's how the low-budget landscapers do it around where I live. True, most of them drive 80's Buicks

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So much piss and vinegar in the Knyteguy thread. He's just this guy, you know?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Christ almighty yes, if you have a kid you need life insurance. For you and your wife both - just because she might not be working doesn't mean she isn't going to be pulling $$$$ worth of weight in taking care of the kid.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've seen it and my friends have lived it. Get life insurance if you have kids and aren't independently wealthy.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

We've got a social safety net - despite not being a very good one, that if one of you died the other wouldn't starve. I don't think there is any reason to carry life insurance given your other much more pressing concerns.

You know he's in the US, right? Also, have none of your friends ever had kids, then died? It's a serious bitch if you don't have any money. And, the weirdest thing, you can't control whether it happens!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey hey hey. The moratorium on "dump the pets" talk in this thread is still in effect.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Take it to PI! Note:

slap me silly posted:

The moratorium on "dump the pets" talk in this thread is still in effect.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

SMS was only referring to the telling you to get rid of the pets. We're now trying to help you save money with the pets, as we (at least I do, I have 4 pets and they are family, like it or not!) realize they aren't going anywhere.

That's right, I have no issue with people giving Knyteguy poo poo about expensive dog food :) Seconding the advice to do it slowly and judiciously if you change foods. I changed mine more than a month ago to a slightly cheaper but perfectly good food and he's still having foul liquishits like three times a week.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The tax obligation was always there, so learning about it didn't increase your debt. The deposit doesn't count because it's still your money. That leaves $8000 of new debt that was a direct result of your spending behavior, plus a $4000 reduction in assets that was also a direct result of your spending behavior. Put another way, you spent 120% of your income last year (rough numbers). Point being, spending behavior is an inextricable part of the picture, so don't start talking to yourself as though it isn't.

Frankly "don't take on new debt" is setting a pretty low bar, especially after you (rightfully) exempt certain critical things from the rule like baby medical expenses. I'm a little worried you're reframing the conversation for yourself so you don't have to face your spending behavior.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nah. The next baby will come in late 2017. You can start planning for that now though! :v:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Anyway we can make this work financially?

Beg your family to pay for it

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nuts. Visiting family and friends with a new baby is a great idea. Just, beg your family to pay for it

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Those kind of things are really important. Ponder how much easier it would be to swing this kind of stuff if you weren't overspent and in debt and let that help motivate you to stay on top of your finances.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Clearing away some trees, here is what has you trapped right now: a $25000 car loan that you have to pay $500/mo for. That you got your own self into. It's really that simple, dude.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

I know I've asked this a few times, but when can we start putting money towards the car debt again?

Paying more than required for things is on the back burner until you get into a routine with the baby, yo

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Wow, the way they compute "savings" is total bullshit.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

I'm confused why you hate the idea of paying them what you owe.

Whether somebody owes a hospital money they don't have because they got a life-saving appendicitis surgery is more of a social justice question, really

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

The checking balance is the wrong thing to look at, and from that info I have no idea what or how you're doing with your money.

I said this before and it applies to all that stuff you just posted, too. Make a graph of your debt. Make a graph of the money in all your savings accounts. Those two things completely reveal your progress. Anything else is just pointlessly moving numbers from one column to another.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have never tried this YNAB thing, but my impression based on people's posts around here is that it takes a simple concept like "Save up a month's worth of expenses" and turns it into this confusing, jargon-laden, absurdist financial art piece. That may be partly on Knyteguy though :haw:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

YNAB is stupid but they sent me a free tshirt so o well. Also I am doing the uber-YNAB master method of living on last year's income, all you YNAB suckers should revel in my bufferdom.

Ahaha, teach me your ways! (No don't, I struggle to write five sentences in a row never mind entire works)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

YNAB is the Crossfit of personal finance.
Glorious.

moana posted:

It's easy, you just have to have such swingy income month to month that it terrifies you to spend any of it!
If I had that much cash floating around I'm sure I'd spend on something. A second house maybe. But I have a pretty reliable salary, maybe that would change if I didn't.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yes this is a case of "you should just buy it". Comes out of your discretionary category :)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Good luck with the delivery! And your back. Also, please do not create a fire hazard in your house that will soon contain a baby just to save eight bucks.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

And this is the plan info. 6%? My wife makes about $25,000 a year.

$1500 of Free Money. You know what to do

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Disagree. JC Penney is sucking bad and will probably fold completely sometime in the next 5 years. Meanwhile, milk them for all they are worth. I notice I misread the info - they're matching half, up to 6% contribution (3% match). It's still free money and Knyteguy's wife should still grab it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Eh, it's her job not his and it's pretty standard lovely retail. I'm just mad because JC Penney was so awful the last time I tried to buy clothes there.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I missed the vesting period. I wonder what fraction of their employees make it to three years before giving them the finger and finding something better.

(They should still hit the 6% though)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Aagar posted:

Count me in - $100 to the charity of your choice, if you meet the conditions as set out by Horking. If this is what it takes to push you to stick to a budget for 3 months straight, and raises money for a good cause, it's win-win in my book.

Ditto.

Feel the pressure

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Inverse Icarus posted:

You're going to feel pretty loving terrible if a bunch of cats go unspayed because you couldn't not go to the Olive Garden.

:D

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
gently caress YNAB for being hard to understand, but as best I can figure out that looks like a great start. I'm with Bugamol - take a few minutes to think about what's going to come up next month and make sure you've got the bases covered.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My interpretation was, those two categories vary from month to month. This month he spent ~3 months worth of the average pet budget, and 1/3 month of the average utility budget. Kniteguy if I'm wrong please fill us in

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Yea I agree YNAB is hard to look at if it's not your budget.

Along these lines, please explain me what is going on with Savings and Restaurants.

Also, why does the May outcome say $5315 budgeted, whereas the initial budget says $5155, yet all the amounts in that column are the same.

Also, what's up with being $100 over on fuel.

Yes he has to use the same budget for June :D

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm looking closer and that thing makes zero goddamn sense. Here is how you evaluate how well you kept to a budget: (1) How much did you budget? (2) How much did you spend? You went over your budget in groceries, clothes, discretionary, misc, pets, insurance... that's $300 that all could have been managed within the month.

The totals are close to matched, BUT. Your total in Fixed is only ok because of a temporary underspending on utilities and internet that is going to bite you next month. Your total in Flexible is only ok because of your underspending on Restaurants, and that means you failed to "pay back" your past restaurant costs as you intended.

Your budget for savings says $1151 but you put $0 in.

And you still haven't explained where the mystery extra is coming from in that $5315 number. The whole point of this challenge of keeping to a budget is that you don't change it, especially not upwards, so why did it change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If the savings balance column represents the addition of $1150, why doesn't it change from May to June? Confusing as gently caress. If you tell me your savings account balance really increased by $1150 this month I will take your word for it.

n8r posted:

So you overspent on 6 categories?
Ok, yeah, this is what I'm seeing too. Here's my take. First, your low utility bill is hiding some iffy stuff in the Fixed category that you need to keep an eye on. Sometimes it's legitimately hard to budget for stuff within a single paycheck or a single month, but I expect to see pet expenses drop in June. The fuel expense - should that have come from the vacation savings or the job hunting savings? I forget why you went.

Second, in your Flexible category, you went over budget in most categories. It's made up for by the fact that you spent zero on restaurants. You're babbling about "paying back" your past restaurant expenses, but you didn't. At all. You used that money to cover your suit, groceries, and misc. That's fine with me, I think it's a good strategy, just be clear about it with yourself.

Therefore, as far as I personally am concerned, I will let May slide for the purposes of the challenge, though with a jaundiced eye.

My advice going forward: DO NOT roll over things in the Flexible category. That category is doing a decent job of collecting all the stuff you can and should control within a month. If you go over budget for misc, then don't go out to eat. If you go over on groceries, don't spend the discretionary. Those kind of compromises are immediate, direct, and simple.

• Locked thread