Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

I told both the recruiter and the guy I interviewed with I wanted $105,000 base plus incentives. I was really excited when I did the initial phone interview with this guy, since he told me I could make "much, much more" than $120,000 if I wanted to. $120,000 included incentives though, so initially when I was talking with the interviewer about salary, that's what I was shooting for.

You could also be the King of France, but you'll most likely end up earning way less than what the person with a vested interest tells you you could make.

They COULD promote you. But they probably won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

I don't have you blocked. I don't have anyone blocked (except for one TFF poster whose gimmick drives me insane).

I don't have the energy or the will to debate right now. Moving forward I'm going to try to relax a bit in the thread. That will really help me I think. I hope some of you guys do as well. I mean look at the thread title how can any of us be mad? :frogc00l:

Does he hate Alex Smith?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Probably a budget breaker - someone kicked our garage in in the middle of the night last night. Unsure if it's a random act of violence yet, or not. I'm guessing it was a young teenage neighbor as they disrepect the neighborhood as a whole, leaving bags of fast food in the middle of the street in our 3 block neighborhood, and there's trash in front of our home. They're also directly across from us so maybe someone was pissed off at the world and we were convenient. Hard to say.

Will update as I have more info; cops are on their way for a police report, which I imagine our rental insurance and rental property management will want.

Did they take anything? I'm not sure why this would impact you as a renter.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, under no circumstances are you to pay for that. It was an act of vandalism and not your responsibility. If someone set fire to the home, do you think you'd be required to pay for the damages? That's one reason they're insured.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, if you opt out, they aren't going to give you any extra money.

That's not how America works.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dental insurance is like 4 dollars a month, how about we focus on slightly larger problem areas.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You can develop one if you try! Fatty liver disease will, of course, kill you if you don't eat properly afterward though.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

More accurately, why don't you want to reconcile your envelopes? Did you overspend somewhere? Is there something you're attempting to avoid sharing?

You've been doing great, it's alright if you had a slip up, but you want to stay on track. Make sure you do your reconciliation!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have 4 kids, two of which are 4 months old, so let me help with the paying for food/diapers/family pictures stuff.

1) Family pictures don't have to happen all that often, and you can get halfway decent ones done at Target for 50 bucks.
2) Get a costco membership. Seriously. The diapers/wipes/formula savings (especially formula) will probably pay for it within a month or two. We also buy a months worth of meat and dry storage items at the beginning of the month, which allows us to just go to Aldi for fruit/vegetables/bread weekly and spend very little.

Planning meals, especially with little ones, is a giant pain in the dick. Grab a couple Costco freezer meals. I think Bertolli pasta is on sale this month. It was pretty good. It also inspired me to then just make my own freezer meals with a bunch of the cheap chicken we've got, so I made a big pot of pasta, some sauce, sauteed chicken, then tossed it all together and put it in a couple freezer bags. 10 minutes in a covered skillet later and we're set. You can do this with a lot of meals.

I also get a pork butt or two a month and smoke them every other weekend, which gives you an excellent protein base for a lot of meals for super cheap. Seriously, a pork butt is a weeks worth of protein and costs like 12 bucks.

Basically, when baby is sleeping or whatever, you do some prep for later. Think of that as part of your winning. It's how I've had to do it.

Anyway, good luck. You'll get there, just get better at discipline. When I used to get paid every other week and got that extra paycheck twice a month it just went to savings. Now I get paid twice a month and don't have that quandry any more.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

What the hell is wrong with America that having 17.5 credit cards and two car loans is a normal thing. Maybe I'm financially naive but we have one credit card. It has a $5000 limit. That is all. It is very simple to manage because there is only one. Why do you need a billion different cards? This just enables you to spend more.

The way our credit is measured means that you don't want to ever have more than 30% of your credit card credit being used.

but yeah, that much is weird.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The difference between a 40 minute and hour commute is a lot more than you'd think.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

And ditch the 80k number in your head. For all you know they'd offer 100k. Have you done the research? You'll get more than what they'd offer anyway if you negotiate correctly. Hell, maybe they give you a moving stipend. Don't make excuses for why it wouldn't work until you know it won't work.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You need to at least try still. Maybe the website is poo poo, but it might also let you uncover flaws in your interviewing OR understand the market a little better. You have nothing to lose by continuing correspondence.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Because they could be talking about updating the entire system and paying you a ton of money. Or they could just be preparing you to not look like an incompetent at an interview for a good job?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cicero posted:

Taking a job working with old, bad tech on the off chance you'll get to upgrade everything a while down the line sounds like a bad idea to me.

Taking a well paying job when you're already in a dead end job with promises of a nebulus bonus sounds like an okay idea.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Well the only thing is, this isn't the only opportunity that will come my way. I may be mistaken, but aren't you a dev? I don't really feel like I need to settle, since if nothing else my job is relatively stable. I got an offer to interview on Monday as well for a software engineer position; it's only a few blocks from my wife's work, too. It's more prestigious for sure, as they service some very big clients like IBM. I'm not trying to sound haughty - I just want to pick the right job.

I'll definitely hear this place out though. It does have the advantage of being close enough where I can maybe manage. And it may pay well. I'll discuss it with you guys after the interview.

Interview for everything. Having competing offers can't hurt.

Not a dev. In procurement analytics. Equally as not understood by the executive team.

And I don't want to come off like a dick, I just want you to know that you've gotta keep grinding to get where you want to be.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Reminder when/if the offer comes, if you want it, negotiate!

Find out ALL the benefits they have and what they don't. And if you want to take it, remember that if your dream position comes open in 6 months then you can always leave this position.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Counter at $85k, 15 days vacation, 15 sick.

What's the 401k/Insurance look like?

I mean, counter if you want. You're playing with house money, so make whatever counter you'd like and if they want you, they'll meet you or give you a better offer, or they'll cut you loose, and hey, you weren't going to take it anyway.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, use this as practice, but I wouldn't take that job. The offer numbers for vacation/sick leave alone tell me it's a place I don't want to be. Plus no retirement matching.

But definitely read the negotiating thread. It helped me go from 42k to 65k to 80k over 4 years. The offered salaries were 55k and 72k.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hahahaha, gently caress that guy. Potential to be off for a month, oh no!

And profit-sharing can be called a bonus or whatever, but plenty of companies offer them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's not a month of time off. What the gently caress guys. Sick leave is leave days you get paid for if you're sick. Does anyone actually use all or even close to all their sick leave at any given time? I sure as gently caress don't. Hell, my last company had unlimited sick leave. It's a normal thing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

Parents do :) Not for themselves, but if the baby is too sick for daycare, someone needs to stay home. And babies get sick *a lot*.

I have 4 children, two of whom are 6 months old. I know they get sick. But you burn PTO or FMLA to take care of them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Depends on the company. At my current one I can take one sick day to care for dependents a year.

But I also have like 3 months of sick leave given to me every year and the rest would be half pay sick leave.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just a quick thought: You do have a problem if you can moonlight to pay for it.

That's 6 thousand dollars. How much would 6k help with getting you out of debt right now? How much breathing room would you have if you could moonlight and put 6k in an emergency fund?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I did some of the stuff you did too, including cutting Netflix. We ended up getting it back as well. It's good to save on that stuff (we recently dropped hulu and plex premium as well), but you've gotta have some mindless outlet or you're gonna end up overspending to compensate later.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Those bandaid things are from donating when Lowtax asked a couple months ago.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Well I found my previous psychologist in about a week and had an appointment before the end of week of the first call. My wife found a therapist and was in there in 3 days. I scheduled an appointment for my mom at one I think it was next day or two days away.

My timeline for this is short, my desire to begin immediately is not. I absolutely understand the only thing holding this back is me at this point; I'm OK with that. I don't feel like I need to rush in necessarily, but I still gave myself an absolute maximum date to get going.

e: meant to quote this above.

did you ever think he's your previous therapist instead of your current therapist because he's not very good and that maybe it's pretty easy to get into a not very good therapist who can't keep his clients?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You would still have to maintain physical residence somewhere for tax/voting/residency purposes.

e: also you'd have to raise your kid like a traveling nomad.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Stop trying to talk him out of it. He's going to do it, and if you suggest maybe there's a deeper meaning, he's going to point you at some stupid blog about someone else who is totally doing it and doing great.. (Because lifestyle rags typically like to get into the poo poo about why what they're promoting isn't fun.)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I was poking around the fridge when my wife wandered up and shoved her phone in my face to show me about one of the new couples she'd met at one of the children functions she goes to. It was an RV couple who were detailing their lives and had stopped at an RV park for like 6 months here. Which is basically like renting a house without actually having the comfort of a house.

Oh, and their aggressively atheist homeschoolers whose children seem to have behavioral problems due to instability. Sure seems like a great life to me.

(She, of course, said "man wouldn't this be fun?" and I told her no, never, stop.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If your job and leisure activity both share a common tool that can make a huge difference in how you physically feel at the end of a day, I am not at all above spending the extra cash on it.

• Locked thread