Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Knyteguy posted:

Hey awesome thank you that's really cheap. We'll just replace all four if we sell, so people can't say "But KBB says good means all wheels are flawless!".

Why buy four when you only need 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Anybody else surprised there's suddenly an immediate and serious reason to move? Nobody? Ok that's what I thought.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Gonna laugh really hard if KG goes to the effort of uploading his Papa Roach videos and still hasn't posted the August #s more than halfway through September.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

I can't make it a rule that if we spend too much, then we pull it from vacation. Those savings goals need to be off limit permanently. Emergency fund, the Christmas fund, all of them. They're all very specific, and have a very specific purpose. I guess if that happens then we'll need to pull it from the following month's categories, and nothing else. However the true focus here needs to be sticking to those categories no matter what. There's never really a good excuse to spend too much in discretionary.

quote:

There's never really a good excuse to spend too much in discretionary.

That's the whole point. If those goals are so important to you then don't overspend your discretionary. If they're so important then make it a rule that you can repay them from your discretionary too the next month. So you blow discretionary by $50 in a month you take it out of your vacation fund. If you want it back you spend $50 less in discretionary the next month and add it back. Make the consequences real to you rather than constantly saying you'll make it up the next month and failing to do so over and over. Just stick to a budget no matter what it takes you to do it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

All that said we had a stellar month last month, and we're on track for a good month this month. Can't do much else but that, and my goals that I listed before for now.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm constantly confused by YNAB but it looks like you went over your discretionary by $125, over in entertainment by $139 and over in restaurants by $234 in October. Do you consider that stellar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Perfect is the enemy of good. As a whole we did really well in October. We went over in some categories, and under in others. It's wasn't a February, but it was good.

I agree October was ok overall but be realistic here, you spent $500 over your alloted budget in completely discretionary categories. It's not like those categories were low either except for the unrealistic entertainment budget. Set reasonable goals and stick to them. Seriously just do that for 3 months in a row just once at least.

• Locked thread