Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

If you absolutely have to hoard media on your tablet, you can get a cheap USB OTG cable to attach to a Nexus tablet. I guess Samsung's offerings aren't completely horrible.
Samsung's Tab line is complete garbage and on par with something from Big Lots. Their Note line at least has decent specs and the current one has a nice screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Foil posted:

A friend of mine has one of those and a really sleek looking red cover. We benched it versus a bunch of other tablets and it was steadily beaten by the N7 2013 pretty frequently (by small margins) but at half the cost. If you need a "water resistant" tablet its a good buy, and the screen looks great.
The Xperia Tablet Z has the same SoC and resolution as the 2013 Nexus 7 so they should perform about the same. The Z gets you Micro SD, waterproofing and 3 extra inches for double the price.

The 2013 Nexus 10 is running out of time to show up.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

NFX posted:

Sorta related, are there any 10" Android tablets with 4:3 screen ratio, or am I stuck with Apple? I played around with a (very terrible) cheap Chinese android tablet, and the widescreen format just felt really weird.

I imagine widescreen is nicer for watching video, but I don't that that's going to be my primary usage.
There are some crappy ones that use the same 9.7" panel (possibly ones rejected by Apple) as the iPad, but why not get an iPad if you want a 4:3 tablet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

Any reason you're in need of all that space? I'd go with the retina iPad mini in any case, it's a nicer device than the new Nexus 7 and the screen is better suited to reading books and documents.
The Nexus 7's aspect ratio is closer to that of a paperback book than the Mini. The 7's screen is also brighter, has a higher contrast ratio and more accurate colors. I got to use a retina Mini over Thanksgiving and I vastly prefer the 7 for reading because of the size. The iPad still wins out in most things, but the 7 has a better screen and is easier to hold.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The other things are important, but is this? I don't have any devices I keep at max brightness (or even close to it), since it tends to be eye-searing in anything but the brightest light, and reading long-form material on an LCD outdoors is not going to be the best experience in the best of circumstances.
It might not matter in a basement, but it makes a noticeable difference in a well-lit room.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

A small App Store is a real serious limitation. Very few people need to work on documents in a tablet sized device.
Most people might not need to, but probably 80% of people in real life that have asked me about tablets because they are interested in them say that they want to use Office. I tell them that they don't really want to do that and they should just get a computer if they want to do computer stuff.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

I was given a Samsung Tab 3 as a gift a couple of days ago. I understand its a very basic model. All I do is browse the net and play pointless games. It seems to crash on bog standard apps a lot more regularly than the iPad or iPhone I have used and twice now its crashed so hard that it has switched off and refused to power back on for a significant amount of time.
I totally called this!

Fortunately, the solution is simple:

1st AD posted:

Get the 2013 Nexus 7

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

You just described the LG G Pad. It takes Micro SD, though, so I don't think you'll be able to stick the same card in there as most cameras use the original form factor cards. I guess you could use a Micro SD card and an adapter for the camera.

Bung Harmer posted:

The iPad has an accessory for connecting camera cards, so I would definitely go with the Mini Retina.
Ooh, that's better.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

That just says Samsung will stop making S-Mail and S-Voice and S-Dialer and use Google's apps, nothing about it not being horrible neon green and purple Touchwiz garbage.
They could be fakes, but screenshots show a new card-based (and iOS 7 "inspired") interface.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

There was a 2014 10.1 Note that looked better but it had a leather backside, that just doesn't compare to metal.
It's not even leather, it's the same slimy Samsung plastic molded to look like leather.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

The last few posts got me thinking that maybe my parents could use a tablet to carry around the house and stream Netflix on (using an HDMI cable or whatever hooked up to either the giga TV upstairs or the giga TV downstairs). What's a good tablet for that and why is this a bad idea.
Don't use a cable, get two Chromecasts. If that's really all they want to do, you could get them a Nexus 7, or if they already have smartphones they can just use those. If the tablet is going to be for other things too, get an iPad or iPad Mini.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Also, what's the difference between the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 7 Tegra 3
Here's the specs for the Tegra model (2012)
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb

And here's the Snapdragon model (2013)
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb_2013

The 2013 model is thinner, lighter, has better battery life, a much better screen, wireless charging, better performance and should be supported for another year.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm a literal child, and I somehow lost my work tablet, a Nexus 10.
Did you lose it somewhere with WiFi?
https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Would you still be able to change it with mass storage attached?
Yes with pogo pins for the 2012 model or a Qi charger for the 2013 model. Or you could wait until later this year when Car Play and Android Auto are out and get a head unit instead of a tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Slimchandi posted:

I'm mostly planning to used scanned PDFs so it's really about screen size and ratio to maximise page size.
A4 is ~1.41:1, iPads are 1.33:1, Android tablets are 1.6:1 and the Surface Pro 3 is 1.5:1.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

wooger posted:

Look also at the Chromebook Pixel: 4:3 retina display... They clearly like this aspect ratio at Google.
It's 3:2.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

orinth posted:

It looks like cyanogen mod is available for it.
Do not buy a tablet with the expectation that you can fix the broken software it ships with yourself. Go ahead and try it but you will almost certainly be better off with the iPad.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

My co-worker got the Venue yesterday. It seemed slower than my 2013 Nexus 7, but that might have been because it was doing updates and stuff. The screen was crisp but oversaturated and the colors were noticeably off. Whites looked green when viewing straight ahead and the colors got worse as your viewing angle got less ideal. It was incredibly thin and very well built but the single bezel made it awkward to hold. The speaker was fairly loud. The cameras are awful but that's about what you'd expect from any tablet. It also had some garbage that was always in the notification bar like on LG phones and looked like it was designed by the people who make motherboard utilities. It's nice enough but I sure as hell wouldn't pay what they're asking.

If my 2013 7 died I'd probably just buy another.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

stevewm posted:

Wanted to add I am very happy with my Venue 8 7000... The screen is just absolutely beautiful. (it has a Sharp OLED screen) Haven't noticed any performance issues. Dell recently pushed 5.0.2 to it. And people on XDA figured out how to root it. Battery life is pretty good, get about a week on standby. 6-9 hours of actual use depending on what I am doing. Can't comment much on SD card as I don't use it, but it does have that ability.
Did you pay full price for it? This is what I thought about it.

butt dickus posted:

My co-worker got the Venue yesterday. It seemed slower than my 2013 Nexus 7, but that might have been because it was doing updates and stuff. The screen was crisp but oversaturated and the colors were noticeably off. Whites looked green when viewing straight ahead and the colors got worse as your viewing angle got less ideal. It was incredibly thin and very well built but the single bezel made it awkward to hold. The speaker was fairly loud. The cameras are awful but that's about what you'd expect from any tablet. It also had some garbage that was always in the notification bar like on LG phones and looked like it was designed by the people who make motherboard utilities. It's nice enough but I sure as hell wouldn't pay what they're asking.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think anything comes in 3:2.

The Pixel C is pretty close.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

He's talking about the superfish certs that Lenovo installed on most of their laptops. They're already proven to be untrustworthy. Recommending something that needs to be fiddled with to work is a terrible idea and that's why you're getting so much pushback, and I'd imagine those of us pushing the hardest are the ones who did this poo poo ourselves with nooks color and the like. It's so much nicer having something that works properly to begin with.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rickets posted:

It saddens me that the general technical ability of posters in this thread (and on the internet, generally) is at the level where they probably call a plumber every time the toilet clogs.

I took thirty seconds to look up the Nook hack procedure and it appears to be:
1. Flash an Android image onto MicroSD card
2. Insert card into Nook
3. Boot Nook into android

What a chore!

I guess the problem I have is what defines "works properly to begin with", because that goalpost moves from person to person. If you are ok with being limited to using a device only in the way the designer intended then Apple has a product for you.

4. Do all sorts of bullshit in ADB
5. Flash nightly builds in hopes that x feature starts working
6. Throw device in trash

My technical ability is used at my job where I'm paid enough to afford devices that work. My time is valuable and I don't want to spend it figuring out why my device is bootlooping or stopped being detected by ADB or just flashing in general, especially if it's something I just purchased.

When I was getting paid $15/hr like a scrub it seemed worth it to buy something cheaper and spend time making it "work." But even then it was a bad experience, I just didn't know it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Play-store friendly Chromebooks can run Word for android too, may be worth a look.
They will, but Microsoft requires an office subscription if your screen size is above a certain threshold.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

that's not to say there aren't decent chromebook tablets. my dad refuses to have any apple stuff in his house so my mother had been using my aging pixel c. It is no longer getting updates, so i bought her this tablet when it was on sale for $230. the interface is familiar enough that she hasn't had any issues using it. i would consider it a good replacement for anyone still holding on to a nexus 7

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Fire/Fire HD are a reliable recommendation because they're supported by Amazon for more than 3 months after release, which is way better than pretty much any other tablet including those from Samsung and Lenovo, and YES you can install stuff from the Google play store on them
that's because android tablets have been replaced by chrome os. the lenovo chromebook duo is a 10" 1920x1200 tablet that comes with a keyboard case and will get updates until 2028, which i really doubt amazon can match. it comes with the play store and can run android apps in addition to the web stuff.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yes it can, it's a 2-in-1

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

we found him, the guy they made the folding phones for

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Another thing to look at, which is what we have in our kitchen, is an $89 nest hub which is basically a limited 5" kitchen tablet
i have the big one of these in my kitchen, and it's not a tablet it all. sure, it has a touchscreen, but the main way to interact with it is voice commands. supposedly you can send recipes to it, but it only works for certain sites, and none that i've wanted anything from. the only thing i use mine for is setting kitchen timers and that's iffy because sometimes one of my other google homes will respond to me from another room, but at least this one has a screen so i can tell if it worked or not

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the expandable storage complaint made sense when ipads had 16gb of storage and you could put a 128gb sd card in your lovely android tablet but apple sells ipads with 256gb now or up to 2tb if you get the pro model

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

internal storage:
you don't have to fiddle with it
faster
more durable
fewer ingress points for water/dirt
only option for the ipad, the best tablet by almost every metric

sd cards:
allows you to carry your entire anime collection with you on tiny plastic cards

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the pixel tablet is going to be announced next month maybe wait for that. i'm gonna buy it because i'm an idiot

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I’m rocking their and Lumi (1) for sheet music
can you tell me more about this? i have just been using my physical books. is there an easy way for me to get my lessons into it? how quickly does it flip between pages?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

to me it sounds like the exact use case for a surface tablet. you can save your scribbles directly to onedrive and do all that other tech stuff too (assuming they use windows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i also have one and like it. the only thing i use the dock for other than charging is video calls and it does a good job of that. performance has been fine for what i use it for. it's a good weight and the texture on the back is nice to touch. i do have some really minor complaints:
  • could be a little less wide, it's a bit of a stretch to reach the center of the screen when holding it in landscape with hands on the sides
  • the dock charger uses a barrel plug, seriously?
  • the usb-c port is on the left of the tablet when in the default landscape orientation, seems weird
  • can't use signal on it so i still need to keep my phone or laptop nearby but i think that would be the case with any android tablet