Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The price increase for the iPad Mini with Retina really killed my desire to simply buy them as gifts. Especially since I can get 2 Nexus 7s for the same price which I did. :v:

And yeah, the Touchpad is a POS even with Cyanogenmod. I still keep mine around because I'm not much of a tablet user outside of web browsing at home and not in a hurry to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Larrymer posted:

I'm thinking about buying a tablet. My main wants:

-Large screen
-MicroSD or 32/64GB (microSD seems to be cheaper for memory)
-Something I can watch movies/tv shows on

I don't really care too much for apps or games, I'd probably just use the browser and watch videos. The main use is something to take to the gym while doing cardio if I'm honest. Will any of them be better for my uses than others? Generally I want the best bang for buck and I don't need something that is super powerful. Will I run into any problems watching common video file types? (.avi, .mkv, etc.)

Is it possible to get something decent for $2-300? I've searched around a little and everything seems quite expensive, and I'm a cheap rear end.

Thanks goons.

The ASUS Transformer T100 can be had for $300-$350 and is probably the best 10' tablet around its price range. It also runs full Windows 8 instead of the gimped version. Downside is that since it's Windows, app support is anemic (though as you mentioned, shouldn't be a big issue for you).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

waffle posted:

Cost but if you're fine with the price they're probably the best non-nexus tablets out there

Is this the best option for a 10 inch android tablet for someone who's getting sick of waiting for a Nexus 10 refresh?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Someone suggest me an android tablet that is cheap and will mainly be used for web browsing. I'm coming from an Ipad Air 2 which is going to be a severe downgrade but I haven't had any real use for it outside browsing sites ever since I bought it at launch.

I see a lot of Kindle Fire 8 recs, will that fit the bill?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What's a tablet that's sub 300 that will be decent enough for web browsing/Netflix/Hulu/YouTube?

I know there are yoga tab 4s now, but the yoga tab 3 10 looks like a decent price, is it a good option for $180?

Looking for this too. I currently have a Fire HD 8 but the sluggishness has gotten to me and need something with a bit more oomph.

Edit: There's a Surface 3 available for $260 on Newegg, but aside from being refurbished, any warning signs?

halokiller fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 24, 2017

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

That sucks regarding the regular Surface. Forgot to mention that I wanted to avoid the Ipad. (had an Ipad Air 2 for a while but just wasn't a fan) I mainly want something that I can browse the internet and stream without the tablet choking from time to time like my HD8 likes to do.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

I also look at aspect ratios with comic books though it's more of a preference for me (and also depends on what you actually read). Example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

well my point wasnt that you can't buy a cheap samsung tablet, my point was that their lower priced poo poo is loving garbage. you can buy a $150 samsung tablet but you absolutely shouldnt

rather they were competitive in a $300 segment or something that maybe wasn't iPad-spectacular, but at least had USB-C charging and 3+ GB ram

That's pretty much their Chromebook price territory (which imo is a better buy than an android tablet), but I also can't recommend Samsung's Chromebook line because of all the hardware issues that still pop up even with the new models.