Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

So, I'm looking into getting a tablet, which I've been kind of on/off about getting one for quite some time now. It will be used for reading materials not suited for my kindle (i.e. Magazines) as well as reviewing PDF's or word documents for work related things, light entertainment such as movie-watching on plane trips, and probably tasks I'm not even thinking about right now. What would be a good option in the 8" or above range? I checked out someone's Nexus 7 but decided it would be too small for the kind of documents I'm reviewing.

I'ld prefer to stick to Android because I'm already invested in that ecosystem with my phone purchasing and usually don't care for Apple's interface, but I'm happy to be instructed otherwise. Price isn't a major concern.

If price isn't a concern the go to tab is either the Nexus 7 on the small end, or one of the Galaxy Tabs (8, 10 or even 12") on the larger end. I would recommend them over the Nexus 10 at this point, and probably over most other android tablets.

As always, on the tablet front there is def a difference in apps optimized for a tablet on the iPad vs an Android tablet, so I would say the android tablet app availability is a bit of a mess. I can't even download the AmEx app because it says it isn't compatible with my N7. And some companies like PBS will only make tablet apps for the iPad.

Overall, it'll be fine, but you will be surprised on what apps are optimized or even available for android tabs.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I would not get the regular non-retina iPad Mini at this point.

This. I have one through work and it actually runs surprisingly well, but it would be a really poor purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

So I was looking at windows tablets initially but reading back in the thread people make some good points about the fact that there are such a small number of apps and how under powered the tablets tend to be for running windows programs I might as well get a netbook or ultrabook for those uses.

So if I want a tablet means I should go for an android instead. I think I deal with google docs well enough.

Is the Nexus 10 still the best 10 inch android tablet currently?

If the N7 isn't your style I would probably also recommend one of the new Samsung tabs over the N10.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

I recently outfitted my house/guest room with Chromecasts, so I'm looking for a cheap tablet to use as a 'remote' for guests (and myself when I'm charging my phone etc). It doesn't need to be big, so 7 inches is fine. It doesn't need to have LTE, or cameras, or a nice screen. What I do need is a really long battery life.

I'd prefer something cheap. While my budget is flexible, something under $200 is preferred, and really something under $100 is what I want (lol).

Def one of the N7s, I currently have the newer edition and it works great with Chromecast, especially now that they added the ability to just mirror the screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slimchandi posted:

What tablet would you recommend to replace carrying around music books / charts? I imagine 10" would be the minimum, but the screen ratio needs to be close to A4 as possible, so I am looking at an iPad?

Probably iPad, which I would bet has more app support as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GregNorc posted:

So I left my Nexus 7 on a train. Welp.

Should I just order another, or is there something better out now?

I mostly just use it for watching videos and using the wifi in airports, so the N7 seemed to do well in that regard. I know there's the N10 but I don't feel like paying extra money for a tiny bit more screen real estate.

Yeah, there were links about a page back to low cost refurbished N7s. They really have come down in price (not that they were much to begin with), so just getting another one is smart.

No new N7 on the horizon that anyone knows of.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

an skeleton posted:

So nobody is gonna fight for the Note?

Nah.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Short of using VoiP apps, you can't really use tablets as phones.

Coding on a tablet sounds like a nightmare, though. Get a laptop.

For $300 assuming no subsidies, you can get a Moto G and a refurbished Nexus 7 which are both really good options.

If you have your number on google voice hangouts on the iPad will actually make and receive calls pretty well as long as you have a decent data connection. I still wouldn't recommend it convenience and operation wise, but there ya go. I do find it sad ther hangouts on my iPad gets features up dated quicker than hangouts on my N7.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

District Selectman posted:

What would you guys recommend as a good tablet to use for promotional purposes? I have a small business that I run on the side, and when I attend promotional events and festivals, I'd like to just be able to show my website and maybe my Amazon store/reviews. Nothing fancy, just something with a decent enough screen and is also cheap.

Nexus 7 assuming the screen is big enough for what you are looking for.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bigfabdaddy posted:

I am considering a few different tablets. My main concern is multibooting. I want a windows tablet that has the needed hardware to boot the many flavors of Linux that i enjoy while having the power to load a VM of android while in either OS.

I will track down a few options later today and post them up for everyone to hate all over.

MacBook Air?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T-man posted:

I'm new to tablets in general, but I could use some advice.

I'm a poor college student
I'd like to use it as a laptop replacement for in-class note taking
It'd need about ~6 hours of activity per day
I'd need it to be pretty cheap, or sometimes cheap due to deals or what have you
Fun is for the weak

So what kind of tablet would be good? I'm thinking either a Nexus 7 or one of the many Notes. Advice?

Nexus 7 is probably the only good one in your price range. For basic note taking its OK, but don't expect it to handle everything as well as a laptop.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XenJ posted:

Does anyone have experience with aNvidia Shild Tablet?

I would avoid it. I can't see its software or hardware being better than the Nexus 7, especially with price factored in, and a 8" screen isn't even that much bigger.

If you want games, that is one category the iPad still kills any Android tablet in. Instead of $300 there, look for an iPad Air on some kind of good sale (or if you want to invest more, wait for the new one to launch and get that).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Colgrim posted:

Hello. I am looking for a basic tablet that can run the Kindle and Nook apps plus whatever hosed up thing GW uses. I have about 150-175 to spend. I am not looking for anything super fancy. I am going to primarily use this for reading on the bus ride to and from work. Thank you.

Search for a Nexus 2013 edition (latest one), you could find a refurbished one for that price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

So I'm going to be away from home working for a couple months soon, and I don't want to have to bring my laptop with me. So I've been looking at a couple tablets for web browsing and messaging mostly, since I doubt I'll have a tremendous amount of time for gaming or anything really processor intensive. I've been looking at the MSI Primo 81 Android Tablet and the Kindle Fire HD 6, both of which are in my 'if it's horrible, gently caress it' price range, and both seem to be just fine for what I want a tablet for.

While the Kindle looks like the better choice over some no name ipad Mini knockoff, I would probably prefer Android over the Kindle OS. Plus there's my friend, who has owned a Kindle Fire for about a year now, who has mostly just complained about it. As for the Primo, I've read some complaints about build quality in random units. Otherwise, I'm not hugely concerned about rockin' apps or anything. It's going to be used mostly for reading, web browsing, and Skype. Though I wouldn't mind a few creature comfort extras.

I'm the kind of guy who decided to give the smartphone era a miss six years ago after accidentally buying an HTC, so my knowledge base on similar markets is pretty poor. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You should just get the Nexus 7 2013 edition.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

retpocileh posted:

We're looking to buy a few tablets for our business. All they need to have is cellular and battery life that can last through a full 8 hour shift for our employees. It seems like everyone in our industry defaults to iPads but it seems an Android tablet may be cheaper. I'm finding it hard to compare all the android tablets. Any suggestions?

Nexus 7 with cellular will be the cheapest that's any good, Otherwise go with iPad Minis.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jeff Goldblum posted:

They do have a subscription, thank you for confirming, and I will be doing my damnedest to set each one up for them where the apps they would use will be in plain sight. I want them to use as few menus as possible.

If price isn't an issue iPads are def the simplest, and if not that then yeah, Kindle since they can use Mayday if they don't know how to do something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I'm looking for a 7" current generation Android tablet that has full cell phone capabilities. Any recommendations? I've been googling for hours and haven't had a lot of luck other than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, which is out-of-date. I'd prefer something with 4G at least.

Best bet is the '13 N7 with cellular. Honestly, they aren't geared for phone calls. With google hangouts you could now legit use it fully as a phone with VOIP 4G data, but I can't see it working well without a bluetooth connected. For better or worse tabs just are not engineered with phone calls in mind, just video chat.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Tablets that work as phones are actually becoming a huge thing in Asia, and Samsung's Tab Plus tablets could make normal phone calls, but I don't think any of the current generation can. I just don't want to deal with two devices. I'd just use VOIP if there was a way to keep
my phone number.

You can keep your phone number with google voice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Budgie posted:

I was hoping the Nexus 9 would be reasonable, both its price and non-widescreen screen proved this wrong. Is the new Nvidia Shield a decent buy and will it get Lollipop?

Unknown if it will get Lollipop, but I would bet it won't get great support on future updates in a year. If you want good access to software updates, always buy Apple and Google products.

I would agree with the N9 being disappointing price wise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tomstuart posted:

I currently have an original Nexus 7 tablet, 32 gb, wi-fi only.

I like the form factor and the Android environment a lot, but I don't like:
-color quality on the screen
-wi-fi speed (it always seems really slow)
-processing speed in general, it is a little lethargic
-speakers (not loud at all, my HTC One is way better)

Recommend to me a tablet that is in the same form factor, has similar or better battery life, is faster, and has some decent speakers on it. Doesn't need to be LTE/4G.

iPad Mini Retina? Most other android tabs at 7" suck. Hell, just get a bluetooth speaker for it, I would recommend them for any tab out right now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm looking at asking for a tablet for Christmas, and I'd like to have an idea which is the one for me. I'd prefer a tablet with 64gb (expandable memory a plus), but I am flexible. The primary use would be streaming video and listening to my music and podcasts when I'm away from home and my laptop, so cellular data is needed (AT&T). My iPhone 5 is running out of room for new material, and I don't plan on buying an iPhone 6 any time soon.

Depends on your budget. iPad Air 2 64GB (or 128) on the high end, last years Air is not a bad deal if you find it refurbished on Apple.com either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

What tablet has the best RAM and storage speeds? I had a TF700 and the RAM and storage speeds on it a slow to what I would like. Play Store updates would make the tablet completely unusable until the updates were done.

iPad Air 2.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stoven posted:

I am looking for something to do so lite homework with(engineering) and lite browsing. I'm not looking to use it too heavily but want something i can take to a coffee shop for a couple of hours to get some work done. I'm kinda dirt poor and have the option to get a 16gb Galaxy Note 8.0" through points on my credit card. I was wondering if this will suit my purposes or if I'm just wasting my points.

The first post on tabs not being great for that is probably on par. Tabs for me honestly aren't bad for typing, but anything beyond literally just typing and paragraphing sucks in terms of word documentation. But it can be done, I timed my typing on an iPad (I type on one all day at work) and I'm 55-60 WPM on it.

There are like, 5 versions of the Note 8.0, but I'm betting the points one is the older one unless you really have a lot of points. Look for a N7, or honestly a Chromebook could possibly be better (people here either love/hate google docs. Personally I think it's fine).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

Well if that's the case then the 16GB model sounds like a good deal for $250 unless an argument can made to spend $50 more for a refurbished 32GB model. How much storage space would I have to work with on a 16GB model?

I'm debating selling my N7 '13 and going with this (work pulled my iPad), and I would definitely do the 32GB. Even if you assume you can always stream via a decent phone data plan and wifi tethering, apps can take up a lot of space on a 16GB.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

On the Apple store it says the refurbished Ipads have a new battery and outer shell does that include a new screen as well?

Yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 that is getting pretty unusable, and was thinking about getting a Nexus 9, but I've kind of soured on Nexus devices after watching the performance degradation on my 7 and having the Galaxy Nexus be the worst smart phone I've ever owned. The N1 kind of caught my eye, but I'm not sure of the 4:3 ratio since I've never used an iPad. How does it compare to the 9? Are there any other high-end Android tablets out there right now with good build qualities?

Personally the N7 2013 is fine, but I would take an iPad Mini over it. For larger screens I think its a no brained, apps and functionality are just better on an iPad vs larger screen android tablet. Add in better build quality, and that makes a good case for either an iPad Air 2 on the high end, or a return Air 1 or Mini 2 on a bit of the cheaper end.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

Are there going to be any black Friday or cyber Monday deals on Ipad mini 2 tablets?

Yeah, it's $100 off the Air 2, $75 off the Mini 2. Going right now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CornBrick posted:

I hope you're joking. Isn't there anything else? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying apple is bad because it's Apple, it's just that I enjoy customizing and from what I've seen, the operating system is way too restrictive on Apple devices

Not really joking. The Android tablet selection lately is not great, the supposed one to buy was set to be the Nexus 9 and it just got universal not great reviews.

So yeah, iPad Air 2 is the best tablet. The Surface pro 3 and Macbook series are also both somewhat in your price range, but I would say they are in a different function and setup that what a tab is supposed to be. So that is up to you as to what you want out of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

I'm looking for a tablet for my mum in the Cyber Monday deals; she mostly just does browsing/youtube/emails but I still want it to be not totally poo poo- the 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 is featured on Amazon but skimming back in the thread a bit someone said the plain (rather than S or Pro I'm assuming) isn't recommended? So there's also the 8.4" (which is pushing it for how small I wanna go, her eyesight isn't stellar) Galaxy Tab S for $70 more at around $300, which..... I could maybe swing if I had to, if it's significantly better? Is it?

Alternatively if I should be looking at a completely different ~10" tablet for approximately $200-$300 and I'm an idiot for only looking at those Samsung ones (the price slash on it enticed me) please let me know.

also I was planning on getting her this bluetooth keyboard to go with it 'cause of the sale price; is a keyboard a keyboard or is there a different one to get?

iPads are almost always a better idea for someone with that description. Apple seems to be low on refurb inventory (probably due to the holiday) but usually a refurb iPad Air 1st gen is about $400.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Comrayn posted:

I'm looking at buying my wife a tablet but I'm at a loss on how much I actually need. The most demanding thing she would use it for would probably be Netflix so I'm trying to keep it cheap but I also don't want to end up with something that's mute hassle than it's worth. My main criteria are screen size/display and obviously price. I'm looking at a refurbished fire hd 8.9 that's $179 on Amazon right now but wondering if I could do better.

I would just say screw it and get her an iPad but since this isn't actually something she had asked for, just something I've noticed she would probably like, I don't want to drop the money.

iPad Mini 2 starts at $250 refurbished, they're just sold out of wifi only because of the holidays is the only bummer.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini_2

I would look around, the Mini 2 is a really good buy and I'm sure there will be a lot of good deals, so you can probably find one for $250-300ish.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zeldadude posted:

Someone tell me which tablet to get for ~$100. It'll mainly be used by my one year old son (probably just for sesame street and poo poo until he's a bit older and can actually play with it rather than chew on it) and myself/girlfriend to watch Netflix and maybe play some games.

Doesn't need to be top of the line, just looking for something cheap that doesn't run super slow. Cheers!

Edit: should probably also say that size isn't the biggest deal but ive been looking between 8-10"

At this price, guess whatever is on sale that is a Coby or sold at like, Kohls.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tomahawk posted:

Am I going to regret a Kindle Fire HD 6? I just want something that I can watch movies on the go with and I had an iPad for a year and a half that felt like a serious waste of money considering that's all I ever did with it, not to mention it was far too large to be comfortably portable.

Yes, at the least get a nexus 7.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

How's the price range on a good one of those? Realistically I have about $1000 to work with ( was expecting the nexus 9 to be about the upper end I was looking at). Anything over 500 though I expect to last me at least 3-4 years before I feel like I'd need to replace it. Also are those fairly lightweight for lying in bed reading with?

Get a nice ultrabook or macbook for productivity, get a cheap Nexus 7 or iPad mini. for lying in bed reading and web browsing. I don't think you will do any type of coding in bed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

retpocileh posted:

Hey guys, we are looking to buy 20 iPad Minis by summer for our business, scaling up to about 50 by the end of the year. We need data plans for these iPads, and we're trying to decide between the major carriers. Basically, which one is cheapest? We need maybe 500 megs/month in data for each iPad.

You can barter a good rate for that many lines, basically you get a pooled data plan and scale up the data as you need it.

If you happen to be near East PA send me a message and I could help you. Otherwise, here is an example of AT&T (and verizon is probably similar):

30GB of data (they double the 15GB plan): $130
20 ipads: $10 each, so $200
$130 + $200 = $330. Discount wise could float from $10 to $25 a month off depending on what they get approved.

You can have up to I think 30 lines on the 30GB plan and then you have to scale up to 40GB, then 60 (or do two different pools, whichever is better math wise).

You should very likely do either AT&T or verizon, sprint and Tmobile have lower coverage, and both carriers are pretty aggressive on business pricings.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phiberoptik posted:

Debating between an Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4 or iPad mini 2.

How good is the multi-window in the Samsung? Probably the biggest draw for me as I would love to be able to watch a YT video/twitch while I browse the internet. Does it work on any apps or is it fairly limited? I'd like to use the reddit app and watch YT videos for example, at the same time. Anyway to do that on an iPad?

iPad can't do multiple apps at once. However, way more apps are optimized for the iPad vs the Samsung, so I would always recommend an iPad over android tab for that reason alone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

My mum's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 broke recently and I'm looking to get her a replacement. I'd just give her my old nexus 7, but she seems to prefer a bigger screen. iPads seemed to be the best option for that a while ago. Is that still the case or are there any alternatives I should take a look at?

I think anything would be a step up though. I used the Galaxy Tab a couple of times and oh man it was not fun to use.

iPads. Check apple for refurb pricings.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chakron posted:

My Nexus 10 isn't "snappy" any more and I've been thinking of upgrading. The unique aspect ratio has also become more of an annoyance than a feature. The iPad Air 2 is pretty perfect, but I'd rather stay in the Android ecosystem because it works flawlessly with my phone and browser. Has anyone had a similar experience? I want to maintain the 10+ inch size and android ecosystem while maintaining the pure android experience (probably not possible, but as close as I can get). I also appreciate hardware quality/understatedness.

The Nexus 9 has not screamed 'awesome'.

Sorry, the best tab to get in almost any case would be the Air 2, both power wise and apps wise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

freemason9 posted:

Ladies & gentlemen, I present you with

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Certified-My-G-Pad-M574-7-8GB-Tablet-Black-/381196147592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c10f9b88

Is it worth the $32.99 they're asking? (As I've described earlier, this is intended for garage use only--using for Sirius and Spotify apps, hooked to a sound system.)

Thankee

Eh, couldn't know on the exact device, but it can't exactly be that great. I'd get a 2012 N7 over it personally, although for its price the 2013 N7 is still the best android tab.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

The options there aren't very appealing. The non-iPad tablets aren't really worth it.

The iPad Mini on the site is the first-generation version, which has the non-Retina display. I'll leave it for the others here to decide if it's worth getting for $162 ($262 less the gift card).

The original iPad Mini is not worth buying. Its literally an iPad 2 and will just not be that fast at this point. IPad Mini 2 however, is usually a really good buy because its only 1 year old hardware and it went down in price with the 3 coming out. For those reasons it's just harder to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acer Pilot posted:

So this is the Apple iPad mini 2 you guys are talking about I assume?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...19757dd2b48en02

It's $308.99 so I guess it's still within range.

Yup that's it. Fyi 16Gb is a pretty small amount, for just a few apps you'll get by, if you want to use it for gaming (bigger apps) or things like music and video you may want to consider the 32GB.