Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tablets are better geared towards media and internet consumption. If you want to take school notes, write a paper, edit PDFs, do basic web development, or edit videos, get a proper laptop. All iOS and Android tablets with keyboards are compromises in some form or another, and comparably sized laptops are more powerful with comparable or better battery life. Windows 8.1 touchscreen laptops/tablet hybrids, like the Surface, are better if you INSIST on a tablet form factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

AzCoug posted:

So it doesn't seem that the Kindle is getting much attention. Is it pretty much 3rd in line after the iPad and Nexus? Is there anything it can't/won't do, besides the limited App Store?

It seems like a good value given the low price point, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $200-$300 for the other tablets.

I'd place even the Samsung Note/Tab line before the Kindle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ahahaha you paid ten dollars to shill to people who don't care, and now you will be banned.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Straker posted:

thanks for the normal response :)

It seems like you either need to be paternalistic as gently caress or expect this kind of outcome. If my roommate comes back to me and asks for a recommendation later then great, but in the meantime, before I even got a response from this thread, of course his comments were along the lines of "whoa $600 for an ipad gently caress that... what you talking about nexus 7 that sound good... wait, man i can get a 7" tablet from best buy, hundred bucks" :sigh:

Just today I tried to explain to my girlfriend's mom that as far as laypeople are concerned "a tablet" = ipad = $500+ and of course she didn't go for that, then I tried my hardest to prevent her from latching on to the idea that "android" is THE monolithic ipad alternative and that the 32GB 2013 nexus 7 is a pretty great deal at ~$200 and that if she spends $100 on some piece of poo poo, she probably won't enjoy using it just because it's "android" and I seem to like my "android" tablet :(

This kind of reads like word salad

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have both the 2012 and 2013 and the 2013 is more usable, but I did put a poo poo-ton of hours on the 2012 model and it wasn't bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A Wacom digitizer (I have a new Note 8 and the first Note 10.1) is still about ten times better in usage. I couldn't live without it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you work for Microsoft? We get it! Windows 8 in tablet form exists!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Papercut posted:

I assumed Geirskogul was sarcastically imitating all of the people who freak out whenever Rent posts in this thread, since Call Me Charlie hasn't done anything close to shilling for Microsoft.

Yeah, but I am terrible at humor :v:

There is honestly nothing wrong with tablets like the Surface Pro/2 except for the price, but that's never a hard line to take. The utility of having a full desktop computer there along with the tablet interface if you want is enticing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Adaway says what?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

power botton posted:

The Nest team was hired for its industrial design experience and will be heavily involved in the new nexus line, hence the delay.

This excites me. I have a Nest and Nest Protect and they're very well thought out products. Expensive, yes, but if you can find them for cheap then they're amazing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Just order over the phone. It's painless.

Or do what I did and spend two or three years creating a fake business (including a facebook and foursquare page) at my home address that does something esoteric like "internet multimedia design and implementation" so you can order things from places that require a business name. I've been up just long enough to be put on those yellow-pages-esque robot-filled websites that a cursory googling makes it seem like I'm legit.

It's painless a huge pain in the rear end.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I like the leather molded plastic. Better than the shiny thin-as-gently caress plastic they used to use.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
N7 with MX player and appropriate codec pack hasn't choked at any video I've thrown at it, including weird MKV packs (avi instead of h.264) with 7.1 audio, etc.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EAB posted:

Does the S Pen work on other android tablets or only the notes?

Is it fairly easy to put stock android on a note tablet and will the s pen still have the same functionality with stock android?

The S-pen is just a pen for use with a Wacom-style screen with a digitizer. So...no. Completely different technologies, and the Note series just happens to have both.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We're still using CF-19's, if we're lucky. And somehow they're all broken as hell, though anything lesser would have been completely destroyed (EMS as well)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Adblock isn't an extension in chrome, it's a phone app that requires you to go somewhere like f-droid, and it works better with root.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are only two nexus 7's, the 2012 and the 2013 models.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
MXPlayer on android can play anything you throw at it, and on nearly anything better than a cheap 100 dollar Chinese tablet. Even could play 1080p videos on my GSII

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you mean a rear camera?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Djeser posted:

All I really want is a single device, portable enough to stick in the pocket of my bag, that has Android and physical buttons. Is Shield really the only choice? I mean, I know there's this too, which has Tegra at least, but it's both bigger than I'd prefer and it looks pretty drat bulky from the screenshots.

Basically, a PSP that runs Android would be my dream machine, which is why I liked the JXD device I linked before.

Skip android devices and get one of those portable emulators.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

so I spend not much bugs to make a try If she can and want to handle with it.

Am I having a stroke?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 28, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been using voice for years, I don't even give out my other number anymore. VOIP rocks socks

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which memopad 7? The one recommended in the video that you can only really find at best buy, with the fancy back, or the poo poo one?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For those reading, that's the good one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Turn off keyboard sounds and/or download Swype

There you go.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can one hand faster with Swype than with SwiftKey

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And I hate their prediction and they bog down some of my older devices, that have no problem with Swype. To each their own.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Z4. Waterproof is awesome, and the Nexus 9 sucks, still.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bad screen bleed, poor battery life, slow, buggy update cycle, limited support.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Anker 5 port (not 7 port, and not the one that plugs directly into the wall) may do the trick. I've abused mine with 5->12v converters and it is still trucking.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cisneros posted:

The 3 Pro has really bad cooling, so it's not that usable as a laptop replacement since it throttles to half its speed with any load.

Not true and not true. They fixed both of these things.

Source: my SP3

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, and if it's the only computer, I might even spring for the extended warranty. Normally I would never suggest it, but it's a necessity v cost calculation.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I loved my SP3. It easily kept me through a deployment and was starting to take over non-gaming work at home. I sold it because it was right before the SP4 announcement when prices were going to crash, and I needed the funds for a car project. The only thing it couldn't do for me, really, was SolidWorks, but I believe the SP4 or Surface Book is powerful enough for that, now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No ublock, no sale.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, uh, then that's a sale, I guess.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I put cyanogenmod on mine and it's okay. Chugs on some high-res mkv-containered videos, but I like the purchase.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nope, for once it was a completely painless cyanogenmod install. Which is saying a bunch, because I did it on a day when I was flying with a ton of layovers, and was downloading packages and zips from xda-dev using airport wifi on a laptop, and flashing on the plane. I even have a custom bootup animation that I like, which is something I normally skip. Also bluetooth would randomly disconnect on the amazon software, like after connecting to my car stereo but then opening up Play Music or Podcast Addict I would get a "bluetooth has stopped" message and would have to re-connect. But on CM I don't have this issue.

Version I have installed is (from the "about tablet" screen):

12.1-20160203-UNOFFICIAL-ford

Build number:

cm_ford-userdebug 5.1.1 LMY48Y d69ca2aaaa test-keys

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh, I did think of one thing, but maybe that's my settings: on CM, when the screen is powered off, it goes nearly immediately into a "deep sleep" mode. My tablet went from 100% to 72% battery in six days in this mode, which is impressive. However, while things like alarms still go off (I use Timely), if I change the alarm on my phone, it is a couple of hours until the tablet alarm updates, or the next time I turn the screen on.

I know this because I woke up at 6 AM when my alarm was supposed to go off at 8. I cancelled the alarm because I was up, but the tablet still went off. Then it immediately (like, five seconds in) turned off. But when I set it the night before, they are always synced.

Notifications like hangouts seem to be okay, but the email ding can either be delayed by an hour or so if the tablet is in deep sleep, or sometimes never happens if I look at the email on my phone or computer.

So, excellent battery life, but maybe a compromise?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Windows RT = No go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay that's pretty cool.