Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

I do agree that most people think they have to kill tasks for iOS and Android. It's a placebo thing and it probably doesn't help that sales people like me tend to just tell people that's what you do to make it run better.

Can we just start calling them an "app history lists" or agree on a better metaphor so our parents and grandparents don't have to waste so much of their fleeting, finite lives force-closing apps? It's embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Find a store with the retina iPad Mini on demo right next to the old non-retina. It's hard to go back to a lower resolution.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It really depends what you need to do with it. The MBA will be better at multitasking and more viable as an only-computer in a lot of situations, but the iPad has merits too. Keep in mind that a MacBook Air older than mid-13 will only get 3ish hours of battery while the newer models last almost tablet-long.

I have both beeps. The iPad is an accessory device, but I can go on 2-3 day trips and be happy, despite it's content-creation limits

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 15, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A high res screen is completely awesome for that reading and referencing you listed as your primary use.

The non-retina Mini is basically a smaller ipad2, and general consensus is that it's a little dated.

If you decide iOS isn't super scary, go retina.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

n4lrah posted:

Worth getting the Ipad air over the ipad 4 with retina? I heard apple had to recalls some of the ipad airs due to first generation problems..

I don't see any mention of an iPad Air recall after several searches. Are you sure you didn't see a MacBook Air recall?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The retina mini has Bluetooth 4/Low Energy same as the Air. Are you sure that stylus you liked just doesn't have an old unupdated product page?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I know the ipad 2 is being discontinued soon so I'm not sure if it's got some crippling problem I don't know about.

It will be discontinued some day, but any rumors are just rumors.

It's crippling problem is being 3 generations old, slow and sporting an unimpressive screen resolution.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Aight I'm gonna reveal what a dumbass I am just one more time:

On MacMall, it's requiring me to provide a company name with my billing information and not letting me order without one. Is this something I need to order through my job or some poo poo? I'm just ordering it for myself.

Just order over the phone. It's painless.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Comfortador posted:

My friend is looking at the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" which seems like it has drat good specs but it drives me up the wall that it doesn't have removable storage. Are there any other reasons I should tell him to hold his money? (He doesn't seem to mind that he can't add storage to it)

If it doesn't bother him, why does it bother you?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If he's already paying for cable and his provider doesn't provide a solution, there's always a Slingbox. I'd still throw in another vote for rabbit ears. Over-the-air HD looks great.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh that looks better. They still have dumbphones, I'm debating whether it will be worth it to try to switch them over before they get too old to learn new things. I assume this isn't the 80s any more and I don't have to worry about there being two separate Chromecasts running at once and differentiating them easily on their device(s)?

Yes, you can name Chromecasts, like "Bedroom TV," or whatever, but I'd suggest just keeping the "tablet" idea and the "watching Netflix on TV" idea completely separate. You can get a Roku stick for $10 more than a Chromecast. That gets them a simple remote and a great Netflix interface.

Relying on the tablet as your only controller sucks, and it's way worse if the tablet is a shared device.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Firetrick posted:

Playing TV/movies mostly. That's pretty much the only thing I'm using my laptop for these days. That and remote desktop to my home PC actually would be nice.

Could a Chromecast or any of the other cheap streaming boxes fill the need to connect to a TV?

Being tethered to a projector as a primary use sounds pretty untablet-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

^dont get a cheap $100 tablet.

Nexus 7 32GB is $279 (you can probably find it on sale somewhere by this point), refurbished iPad mini for the 16Gb start at $339, but really you want at least 32GB, so add a bit more. Add an extra $100 for the Air.

You can look at the Galaxy Tab line from Samsung, the upside there is they should be able to take a SD card so you can load your movies up through there. There should be a link in the OP for them.

Link to Apple's refurb site: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Target had the original 16gb iPad Mini for $200 straight up last week. Best Buy had the 16gb Retina Mini+case at $300 with an edu email. There have been some pretty compelling deals lately without having to go refurb.