Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

poptart_fairy posted:

Should I leave OTR until I finish the regular game? I figured I'd get both of them while they're cheap, rather than picking them both up for like sixty quid later. :v:

OTR is better in pretty much every way. If you own both I'd probably skip the original entirely. It's still a good game but unless you really enjoy watching Chuck react to things then there's no point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, PC version. And cool, I'll play DR2 for now and leave OTR until I get the urge to splat zombies again in the future. Thanks guys.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

signalnoise posted:

I am ok not having had fun in DR2 due to GFWL and a bunch of bullshit zombrex scheduling...

Well then wait until next year when GFWL is taken out of Off the Record and get that instead and have a go with it. No more running Zombrex back to Katey (Frank can literally take it anywhere, even when seated at a poker table), no more worrying about going into a situation blind and dying only to remember that you forgot to save (just load a checkpoint and then run to a safe place to whip up some shakes and combo weapons). There's enough improvements in Off the Record to make it a much better game than DR2.

But that's just my opinion. I know the popular opinion seems to be that "Dead Rising sucks", and that's why Dead Rising 3 was changed so much.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Nah Dead Rising loving owns

The original is home to the Official Theme of the Xbox 360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKUCxXanXA

So do they mention what Frank is up to in DR3?

Frank and Chuck are probably right below Dante as far as my favorite Capcom characters go

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It still amazes me that they brought back Lifeseeker to do Frank West's theme song for Off the Record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_1Tv1vVA4

Just shows that Blue Castle really got Dead Rising.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

So do they mention what Frank is up to in DR3?

He's "off the grid" and doesn't talk to any of the others. His display at the museum says he's working as a consultant and public speaker, and it's more or less canon that he had a TV show in the years after the first game. I'd imagine in-universe he's a low-tier celebrity.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, PC version. And cool, I'll play DR2 for now and leave OTR until I get the urge to splat zombies again in the future. Thanks guys.

Yeah, call me weird but I enjoyed the story of OTR much more for having played DR2.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Dead Rising 3 is a deadly serious game

Deadly serious

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

The original is home to the Official Theme of the Xbox 360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKUCxXanXA
This always takes me back to those hours I spent playing DR1 and Saints Row 1 as my first 360 games in late 2006. :allears:

Holy poo poo, that was eight years ago. Haven't really played DR1 since those days either, I occasionally get the urge to replay it but then I remember how bullshit the survivor AI and some of the mechanics are and just watch OatmealRaisin's old LP instead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is there any way to raise the saturation ingame?
I'd like to make it colorful like the first two games instead of this weird aesthetic that doesn't fit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
SweetFX. Use the SweetFX Configurator to toggle on and off the effects that you want to use, as well as change the settings of those effects. Global hue/saturation is one of them.

Just as a general tip: If you keep the application open, you can change the settings while you are ingame and they will immediately take effect when you hit the PAUSE/BREAK button on your keyboard, eliminating the need to enter/exit the game after every tweak. You don't need to have the program open when you run the game after you configure it to your liking.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

cat doter posted:

Subsurface scattering is one of the most important effects there is in terms of making human characters look less plastic-y and wrong, since, you know, human skin isn't completely solid, light does pass through it.

It's definitely a subtle effect, but it's subtle in a good way, you may not notice it, but your brain does. If you're skipping cutscenes though I'd turn it off.

edit: oh and most developers won't be using sub-surface scattering in the future I think, the new hotness is physically based rendering, which is, as I understand it, a way of giving every physical surface a set of properties so your lighting engine can interact with whatever material it is realistically, so it's essentially doing sub-surface scattering as a property of the lighting engine, rather than just an added effect.

I could be wrong about all of this, I'm not a graphics programmer or anything.

They aren't mutually exclusive, actually.

Physically based rendering is (at a very basic level) taking into account the fact that surfaces are not completely flat. There's roughness to every surface - even at a microscopic level. So light doesn't bounce off it evenly. There's also other stuff to take into account, like conservation of energy to control how much actually bounces off a surface, how bright highlights get and stuff like that.
Subsurface scattering is taking this a step further for things that are translucent. Part of the light goes into the surface and bounces around even more before coming out.

Fun fact: the original research that's just now making it into games is from the early 80's. All rendering is dirty hacks on some level - these hacks are just better approximations of what we actually understand about light.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

What happend to the shooting guy on the middle highway? I never got a mission to save him and suddenly he was gone for good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spergminer posted:

What happend to the shooting guy on the middle highway? I never got a mission to save him and suddenly he was gone for good.

If you pass by there around Chapter 6 Nick will say something like "Hey, that guy is gone, hope he got out alright" or whatever, which leads me to believe there's nothing you can do with him and he just existed to be a bro with an infinite gun dispensary.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
UGH I loved DR2 and I'm sure DR3 would be great fun too if it didn't run like absolute poo poo. Fingers crossed this poo poo actually gets fixed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well I can confirm that the game is pretty fun after I finally set the visual quality to either low, medium or off for every setting. It looks like poo poo but at least it's playable. Maybe I should run the game out to my old CRT TV so that I don't notice how low-res and smeary and pixellated everything looks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CJacobs posted:

If you pass by there around Chapter 6 Nick will say something like "Hey, that guy is gone, hope he got out alright" or whatever, which leads me to believe there's nothing you can do with him and he just existed to be a bro with an infinite gun dispensary.

That is exactly what he is. He dips out when the Military starts showing up in full force. He's one of the few survivors who seems to have about as good of a handle on the situation as you do.

His stuff is still there when he's gone, so that helps.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Good Citizen posted:

OTR is better in pretty much every way. If you own both I'd probably skip the original entirely. It's still a good game but unless you really enjoy watching Chuck react to things then there's no point.

To be fair Chuck and the guitar stings are pretty funny, especially when he gets all action hero like with the coffee near the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Chuck's angry squint is the entire reason you should play Off the Record AND vanilla DR2.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can we just agree that all Dead Rising games are fun and worth playing...outside of the Wii port of the original.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please god don't remind me of Chop Til You Drop.

Zombie parrots that poop grenades on your head.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Chuck looks so angry all the time I find it difficult to put him in anything other than the default clothing. He's way too much of a straight man for anything else.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Chuck looks so angry all the time I find it difficult to put him in anything other than the default clothing. He's way too much of a straight man for anything else.

...what.

That is the exact reason why you should put him in the stupidest outfit possible. And Nick, he's such a wimpy milquetoast that I find it funny for him to run around in sexy lingerie and a gigantic afro. Frank West is the only character where the crazy outfits don't seem out of place, because Frank West don't give a single gently caress.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Spergminer posted:

He goes to hole up with Gary and Rhonda at the communication tower safe zone and Brad gets him out of town on a ZDC chopper. When you go driving around in the ZDC truck at the end of the last Untold Story DLC, Jeremy's one of the guys you rescue.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Should have been Untold Stories: Jeremy DLC where you just shoot the gently caress out of zombies + bikers + spec ops for like a day.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
SPACE ODIN ENJOYS SLIPPY SLIDES.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

SPACE ODIN ENJOYS SLIPPY SLIDES.

This is the Most Serious Man. Look at those stoic, chiseled features. HE'S GOTTA FIND ZOMBREX FOR HIS DAUGHTER KATEY, SHE NEEDS HER ZOMBREX. FIND KATEY ZOMBREX.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I guess the joke isn't really that complex, but I feel like you need to play original DR2 to really appreciate the best psychopath in OTR. Though I only got maybe like 1/4-1/2 into OTR before gfwl drove me away.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Welp, because we all have too much money, Steam has the Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack, including Off the Record and a bunch of DLC, on sale for $19.99. Get it while it's hot!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Bought that, doesn't work for me. Same thing as lots are having in the forums and none of the solutions are working, pretty annoying.

Dr3 did run perfectly though so at least there's that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So are the psychos in dr3 really as tasteless and insensitive as I heard?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes they are insensitive. No, it doesn't matter.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Bought that, doesn't work for me. Same thing as lots are having in the forums and none of the solutions are working, pretty annoying.

Dr3 did run perfectly though so at least there's that.

You probably have to reinstall the GFWL client. I know Windows 8 in particular will have you reinstall it. Either that or you wait until they're patched to Steamworks early next year.

Fulchrum posted:

They kind of have to be if the psychos are all based on the deadly sins.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Gluttony actually went past ha-ha funny into full on nauseating, for me ... Though I never found the Gluttonous Restaurant Diner skit in Minty Python's "Meaning of Life" funny, either.

I think DR2's psychos worked better with the cartoony look and feel they had going. DR3's engine tends to make the psychos too grimdark for the rest of the game.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, I just fought Gluttony last night. There was nothing enjoyable about the experience. It was just a chore.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I had armed three followers with massagers before the fight and they were very happy to beat gluttony with them.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I just hid across the counter and shot at gluttony.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

They're based off the seven deadly sins, of course they're tasteless being extreme examples.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The DR3 Psychos are offensive alongside being uninspired and boring (or tedious, in Greed's case)- it's a really huge shame!

Them being so drat boring conceptually is probably related to the seven deadly sins theme. I wonder why they chose that if the rest of the game has nothing to do with it?

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My two big problems with the Dead Rising 3 psychos is that pretty much all of them involve exploiting some scripted thing that puts them into "vulnerable mode" where you then run up and press Y+A to do damage, and the fact that they're in locked-off arenas and telegraphed ahead of time. The 7 Deadly Sins thing doesn't bother me nearly as much, if at all really.

Also they're just plain easier in-general.

• Locked thread