Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I found this thread while on vacation and was absolutely riveted. It's been an insanely fun read. And I caught up just in time for Girl's Side to start! Hooray! :swoon:

I didn't know I enjoyed romance sim elements in games until I played and fell in love with Rune Factory 4, so I'm interested to see how a strictly romance sim/otome game goes.

Just out of curiosity, any reason why not all the voice actors are listed? I looked up the cast list and a lot of them had notable roles and are pretty awesome.

E: I think I just answered my own question. I guess those will fill in as we meet the characters in the playthrough, and that actually makes it more fun!

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

Holy poo poo. I tried playing this, and you guys weren't kidding about the Chocolate minigame. It's stupidly finicky

I am exceedingly terrible at it. I hope it improves with practice. :sigh:

I also have a question: I activated a rival by accident and I'm not sure what to do to make sure she doesn't win. The only guide I've found suggests either ignoring her outright or being ultra friendly to her until she concedes, but what's the best way?

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Bookworm posted:

Ignore her and focus on increasing the guy's affection to get him to Tokimeki state as soon as possible. I don't think she can steal him if he's got maximum affection for you. Hanging out with her during rival mode tends to increase your stress a lot and even if you befriend her again, she can still steal the guy.

Thank you, that's very helpful! It's only been one year in game and he's already at :) stage so I'm sure I can get him to Tokimeki state if I keep trying.

I'm surprised to find that this game is actually really, really addictive. I didn't think I'd enjoy the style of gameplay!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I'm really looking forward to seeing Goonko try for total conquest in both basketball and love!

I am in agreement that she needs to choose him just for Hiyama Noboyuki. He was also Hiei in YuYu Hakusho.

...Now I can't get the Gao Gai Gar theme song out of my head. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Dude, you can't just post that and not link that ode to baddassery for the rest of the world.

You're right! I've made a grievous error. Thank you for righting that for me! :unsmith:

I remember once the admin of a forum I frequented when I was younger made it so that this song looped endlessly on the main page. It was hilarious, but it annoyed so many people. :laugh:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Now if only we had a giant screaming robot wearing a USA miniskirt! We'd be all set.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder if there is a best buddy path where you can just forget about dating and hang out with Mizuki forever. :3:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

E: ^ beaten!

I'm pretty sure there are some nicknames that are never acceptable and make the characters upset.

On that note, IceHouse01 is hilarious and I'd love to see what happens if you call him 01. I'm assuming he wouldn't be impressed, but since we're not into dating teachers it probably wouldn't hurt if he hated us! :haw:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

nielsm posted:

Serious question: Can the teacher bomb you?

I have no idea. Although, in my current playthrough, I'm totally ignoring him and turning down his study dates constantly so I can dedicate all Sundays to the guy I'm pursuing. I guess I'll find out soon enough, since I'm starting to get mega bombed by everyone else and their dog.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Terper posted:

Sorry Tamami but Goonko is basically Basketball Jesus already. You stand no chance in this hot-blooded competition for love.

Seconded. Leave that so and so in the dust!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

That's super useful to know, thanks!

What about birthday presents? Do those do anything to keep guys happy? I've noticed I only started getting bombs in year three after ignoring everyone for two years, so I'm not really concerned at this point anyway, although I'll try to keep them from exploding since I've got Tokimeki state on someone.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

As I recall, galpal Rival Mode tends to get activated on double dates to the amusement park, right? Like if you always pick her guy she'll get mad at you. Can you avoid triggering Rival Mode by not making her mad during the double date, or will it happen regardless at certain affection levels?

Rival mode triggers when the guy's affection for you becomes higher than your friend's. For me, my friend asked me to walk home with her after school, then told me she had feelings for the guy I was pursuing. Immediately afterwards, Tsukushi asked if I was fighting with my friends. As far as I know, the only way to avoid rival mode is to ignore the daylights out of the other girl - don't walk home with her, don't talk to her, don't do her activity. It made me feel like a jerk, but I did get the ending I wanted!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Kazuma seems like he'd be down with a demon swordswoman girlfriend.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

WHO THE gently caress WOULDN'T BE?

You make a very valid point. I can't argue!

Although, Morimura the dorkwad would probably not appreciate it, but he sucks and is stupid.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Ugh, Teapot-kun is gross. Definitely worth going on that date so you could compare him to a caveman. :laugh: Thank you for that, it was awesome.

It makes me curious how someone could go with his route and actually like the character.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

D3m3 posted:

I find rampant narcissism funny (so I also really like Mizuki, and regret this being basically an either-or choice) and find that he can occasionally be pretty charming in a purple-prose or oddly enthusiastic sort of way. I like him, he's silly.

TracerK posted:

Finally managed to catch up to this thread! I'm glad I did; this was a blast to read through (Especially with TM3's ending).

This. I gravitate towards the fabulous, over-the-top narcissist types in these sorts of games because they tend to be hilarious.

Funnily enough, on my first playthrough, I actively pursued him and spent much of the time alternating between art club and hanging out with one of the girls (who has yet to show up in this run).

I ended up with the girl.

I'm not sure how that even happened, considering that I managed to hit the ending requirements for Shiki by the end of the second year. :psyduck:

Naw, what I meant was more that I wonder if anyone plays this game and actually goes for Shiki because he's their perfect dreamboat (:swoon:)/ideal type of guy rather than going his route because he's silly and full of himself. I guess it's possible, since there are all kinds of players out there. :shobon:

I definitely get what you're saying - I had a few characters in my playthrough that I thought I`d dislike, but they turned out to be awesome and totally changed my mind. Conversely, I also had a couple characters I thought I'd like and they turned out to be the ones I liked the least. I`ll give Shiki`s route a try just to see what he`s like, since you recommend it!

E: I usually find a way to have Mizuki as a friend regardless of who I want to pursue because she's awesome. :3:

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 24, 2014

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I always ride the Merry-Go-Round with whatever girlfriend invited me. :3: It is also silly to imagine the expressions on the two guys stuck riding together.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also also, jesus loving christ stay away from that creepy loving teacher and his loving pedo-stache. :gonk:

Ugh, I can't agree with this enough. STRANGER DANGER is the creepiest creep ever. He's also impossible to avoid if you raise your stats high enough, and will constantly ask you out after that. :gonk:

As for the minigame, earlier in the thread Haifisch mentioned that it gets way easier when you get the trick down, and that is actually true. What I realized is the game is extremely picky about your spiral and where it starts from.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Haifisch posted:

This is true in the DS version, but as stream-viewers saw, the PS2 minigame works differently from the DS version, making it much harder and also complete bullshit. I weep for Sheep's sanity.

I might put up a video of the DS minigame just for comparison once Sheep reaches that point. Assuming he doesn't mind, of course.

I'm not sure how I forgot Sheep isn't playing the DS version. :cripes: My bad. Maybe because it's the version I'm playing.

I'm curious now to see how bullshit the PS2 minigame version is. It sounds horrifying.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I like how Kazuma is straightforward and pretty easy to please. I don't think Goonko will have much difficulty capturing his heart!

On the other hand, Kazuma will have to compete with Mizuki for Goonko's heart. :swoon:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

D3m3 posted:

Uh, speaking of which, I have a question about how affection rankings work in this game, so that part of the basis of the above rambling isn't partially undermined, so this block of of spoilers is not analysis I've been mulling over, but question: Do all guys jump ranks super-fast once they hit :)? Because that was ridiculous, and if so, I have no idea why :D and :) even exist, since Shiki basically jumped from just barely starting :) to full blushie mode in about a month, after hanging at :| for about a year of lots and lots of dating. I was only clued in when I started getting barraged by events.

I'm not an expert, but I've noticed the same thing on my playthroughs. Once you get over the :) hurdle, it's almost like the affection level just skyrockets to :swoon: after that. I don't know if there's any reasoning behind it, though.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I like to think of Hibiya as a hyper puppy, because he really is. I haven't really had the gumption to try his route because just look at his hair. :haw: (And yeah, the cringeworthy wardrobe style he prefers, ew.) Yamaguchi Kappei also voices Ranma, though, which is my favorite role of his! It still doesn't make Hibiya cool, though, but that is just my opinion. I'm siding with Jenner on this one! Senpai does NOT want to notice you, sir.

D3m3 posted:

Ah, that's a relief...Well, sort of a relief. Since one of the guides I was following only mentioned this in the context of Mihara, I was sort of hoping there were individual affection "curves" of sorts for different guys. It's certainly a nice idea, anyway. Still, one can't complain that all's well.

It would be interesting if the game did it like that. Sheep's explanation makes sense, since I imagine seeing character events must raise their affection some. I'm not sure how it works, even though I have shamelessly been using a FAQ for some stuff. :shobon:

On the same note, I have noticed that on a certain route Hazuki, it sure seems like there was some thought put into that. Spoilered in case you intend to do his route:I did the Kei route out of morbid curiosity after winning Kazuma over, just to see how bland Mr. Mumbles could be. I don't know if it's just because Kei is the main love interest, but it seemed to me like he had a very sharp affection curve. It's fairly difficult to get him to :) state and above because he's so finicky. I found it hilarious how he likes to hang up when asked for dates and refuse to walk home with the main character, but he bombs the crap out of her in the third year if she ignores him in favor of another guy. :shrug: I have heard, though, that this game is really bad with bombs in general, and it has been pretty crazy in the few routes I've done. The absolute WORST character for bombs, though, is...

Freaking Morimura! :catstare: I can't stand that guy!I now go out of my way to never meet him if I can help it. I befriend Shiho so I don't raise my study stat in a way that makes him appear, because forget that clingy weirdo. I swear, he could probably give Yukiko a run for her money! Anyone else agree? We need a Sakuya version of that crazed evil face picture.

Sramaker posted:

Oh and i looked around the web and i won't anything but most the guys aren't as bad as they look.

This. I wasn't really wowed by the character designs before I played this, but the three routes I did were actually pretty fun. Even Kei, to some extent. I hate admitting that.

After seeing how the PS2 valentine minigame is done, the DS version is definitely sickeningly easy. Wow. The video was awesome, though. I wonder what the trick is?

By the way, this was ages and ages ago, but does anyone still have the link to the Castlevania Arcade Tokimeki gag ending on YouTube? I was trying to find it for a friend who loves Castlevania games and I have absolutely no idea where it was in the thread.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0N6cQw0a-M

This is the actual parody of Tokimemo that appears as a gag ending to the Castlevania arcade game.

Thank you! That's precisely what I was looking for.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I love how Kei gets butthurt and bombs you but says no and hangs up when you call him for a date. Is it possible he just enjoys messing with Goonko?

I'd really love to see all the possible pillow fight specials. The ones we've seen so far are awfully cute. :3:

Kazuma is definitely the best choice!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I love Rune Factory 4. :3:

Interestingly enough, in the DS version of the game, the accessory from Kazuma is wearable. I didn't realize that wasn't the same in the PS2 version.

The bomb system in Girl's Side one is pretty crazy sometimes. I've heard 2 improves it. I am curious, though - you've only dated Shiki once and have ignored him since, so why isn't he bombing you yet? Do some of the guys bomb more than others? Is it an affection based deal? Mind you, I think Kei probably hates you by this point and is still bombing, so maybe not.

There is one good thing about the bomb system, though: If you let it go past the first warning, just like the other TM games, you'll get a scene where you run into the bomber and he runs away without speaking. I think the majority of the angry faces they make are absolutely hilarious.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

^ Yeah, I think it's probably random.

vibratingsheep posted:

There's a separate Kazuma present that comes later and is wearable. Amusingly, the game labels it very clearly as "A present from Kazuma" with no other description.

Thanks to Mizuki, Shiki's had a lot of pseudo-events that keep him from building up a bomb. All the double dates and such add up.

Oh, sorry! I mentioned it because the wearable accessory in DS is the wrist band itself.

That Mizuki of ours. She's our best buddy and saves us from a potential psycho artist bomber. :allears: Her theme music is also the cutest.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Catalina posted:

I am currently playing Rune Factory 4! My sister and I are having to have timed switch-offs on the 3DS. It's like when we were kids.

TMGS3 is really good in regards to bombs because only guys you have been on a date with will bomb you.

Though I do kind of enjoy bomb management in TMGS1 and TMGS2 to some degree; it's a chance to try all of the terrible date responses, since a bad date will still reset the bomb timer.

I played that game for so many months. I can never go back to Harvest Moon, not even the obvious Minecraft clone coming out shortly. I'm forever holding out hope for #5.

I haven't played GS3 yet, however, I heard the bomb system isn't as bad in 2. I think it's about the same as 1, really, but I don't mind. Since just phoning the guy clears the bomb, it's not hard to keep up.

For some reason, I find the bomb system in the Girl's Side games pretty funny. You'd expect some teenage girls to sit there and go, "drat it, he hasn't called me, I hate him so much! ...I just want him to like me! " but I get a kick out of imagining the male characters doing exactly the same thing. Sitting alone in a dark room, fuming, "Goonko makes me so mad! Please love me, Goonko! I hate you! If only you'd call me." :laugh:

My favorite part about GS 2 so far is actually the love rival system. Apparently, you can avoid meeting your rival entirely in some cases. That happened to me and it was awesome.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

CHiRAL posted:

Also I find the boys in GS1 uninteresting so I tried out GS2 and all I can say is I can't wait for the LP to get there :allears:

GS2 is way more fun, I definitely agree. I'm interested to see who Goonko II falls for in that!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Oh man, now I'm wondering what happened!

What about something like Megumi for the next game? It might be a stretch, but her nickname could potentially be Goon/Goonko/Goony. :shobon:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

CHiRAL posted:

Are you going to poison stranger danger? You should poison stranger danger

Poison him, then tie him to a cement block and toss him in the river. It's the only sensible option.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Catalina posted:

Minor character archtype spoilers for GS2 and 3:

There are 2 not so great characters in TMGS2, but the Charm guy you can tell to gently caress off in several places in his storyline, and the Goro-lite is a better version of Goro like Mizuki is a better version of Shiki.. The third game has a Goro-lite-lite character who is questionably annoying depending on your tolerance for girls assertively hitting on you in unavoidable game events.

I kind of love the one in GS2 explaining bombs. It's terribly cute. :3:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

There isn't a :stonk: big enough for Stranger Danger. He's just so gross! :cry:

In a perfect world, there would be an option to tell him off so he never bothers you again. I suppose we'll have to settle for constantly rejecting him and giving him Goonko's atomic Valentine chocolate.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's reactions to the bungee jump!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

In a perfect world, there'd be an option to have him arrested.

Actually, yes, that is the better option. If he was a real person, he'd have been behind bars by now.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

This is perfect.

Echoing the thanks for the bungee gifs! They're so cute.

I'd love to see Shiho's love interest do the bungee jump sometime. I bet it would be awesome and he'd probably hate it, which is even better. :allears: Mind you, it's always fun making characters do things they hate just for reaction gifs.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Poil posted:

Perfect. :allears:

This is a thing of beauty. :allears:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

After seeing this, I can imagine Shiki and Mizuki having the best time ever shopping and sharing clothes. They're so right for each other. :3:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Chiyomi is my favorite best friend. :3:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

I like almost everyone in this game!

I agree with this. The characters in this game are a lot more fun to hang out with.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I'm a little late, but It's really good to see you back, Sheep. :shobon:

I remember enjoying Girl's Side 2 because it was refreshing that Teru is not a cardboard cutout prince like Kei was. I know he's intended to be the main character box artwork guy that everyone is supposed to like, but it's nice that they gave him a better personality. Mind you, Hikami is definitely my favorite character in that game.

It's been a long time since I last went through the thread and I don't remember, so just wondering - are you thinking of doing Girl's Side 3 eventually as well?

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Original plan was to do GS 3 next and 4 last, but I feel like I want a break from the Girl's Side series, so I'll probably work on TM4 next, and GS3 after that for chronological order.

Awesome! It will be fun to see both.

I finally got around to playing GS3 this year and it was so much fun. Out of the main characters, I really didn't dislike any of them, and some of the dialogue is hilarious. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Don't worry, kid couldn't be anywhere near Homura if he tried. :cawg:

I actually tried his route when I last played this game. Secret character routes are the worst kind of tedium that require you to have no life whatsoever for the entire game.

• Locked thread