Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, interesting. I'd heard of this game before, but only in the vaguest terms. Probably because I didn't really care and wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, it seems like an important piece of video game history, so I don't mind learning more about it. I hope Mr. Fudo here will live up to his name and cut away my ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

I use Fudou because I was a big fan of Devilman when I started having to think of Internet handles. It's stuck ever since. The trollname was just a bonus.

And here I was thinking this LP was crypto-Buddhist propaganda.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
When you mentioned "bombs" earlier, I assumed it was a metaphor, like a "culture bomb" or a "Reckoning bomb". Nope, the interface presents them as an actual, honest-to-God cartoon bomb.

For a game with such a dodgy-looking UI, that's actually a pretty smart choice. There's no better visual shorthand for something that will gently caress your poo poo up if you don't deal with it right quick.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'm also really enjoying the translation quality so far.

It's pretty good! I've made it this far without having to wince at even one awkward turn of phrase, which must be some kind of record for a fan translation.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Thanks! Although the fan translation part is something of a technicality - I've worked on the English end of localization before. It was even for Konami!

I can call it a "guerrilla translation" instead, if you prefer.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: (She's a super high school level swimmer. I thought she'd be... less refined, I guess?)

Yes, the phrasing used to describe Nozomi is the exact same that Dangan Ronpa uses years later to describe its characters. Take that as you will.
I don't know exactly what it is in Japanese, and I don't know anything about Dangan Ronpa, but to me "super-high-school-level x" just reads as an (intentionally?) silly way of saying, "a way better x than you'd expect to find in high school". At first blush, I'd assume that it's a fairly normal-sounding phrase in Japanese and whatever translation of Dangan Ronpa exists just went in a weird direction with it. Is that not the case?

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 9, 2013

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That doesn't really answer the question. In addition to having the same informal meaning as "super-" (etc.) it also has the same literal meaning as those things: "beyond", like in "superluminal" or "hyperspace".

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 9, 2013

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

nielsm posted:

Yeah I know, the term "yandere" hadn't been invented in 1995.

Ah, the halcyon days of 1995, when we had no need for words like "tsundere" and "moe" and "zettai ryouiki". A time when the world could scarcely imagine what horrors the future would bring. A more innocent time. A time before TV Tropes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

So the characters I call Mad Bombers are more sensitive to their feelings being hurt since they have the most emotional investment. Does that make sense? The Psycho strings are just for jokes.
You're not going soft on us, are you? Absolute perfection demands absolute ruthlessness. :colbert:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Since the thread seems to be in love with Yuina, that seems like the kind of thing someone might want to use as an avatar.

Not my best work, but it's past midnight here. :effort: If someone else wants to do a better job of cropping it, be my guest.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This game's habit of providing teenage girls' measurements worries me. It's creepy. And weird. And creepy. I don't even know what to infer from them. I'm not a physician. I'm not a tailor. I don't have any business knowing about that poo poo.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Japanese culture in general really likes having those numbers handy. It's very common for idols and models to be asked about their measurements, partially because of the prevalence of padding and other "enhancement" techniques in a gene pool predisposed to smaller busts. Not that this keeps said celebrities from lying about their measurements either, but hey, this stuff goes both ways. So while it may be a bit creepy from an outsider's perspective, it's information that Japanese people are kinda curious about, or are used to having at hand.

I do see what you're saying. I can maybe kind of believe that it might possibly come across as slightly less problematic in Japan, if only because it seems wildly out of character for this game otherwise. I'd expect that kind of poo poo from a game made in 2013, but this one seems so much more earnest than that.

Really, I was hoping that the circumference of one's bust was somehow significant in Japanese numerology or something. Then it would at least be as relevant as blood type and star sign.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Did a bit more digging into the measurements thing, and the nicopedia entry about measurements mentions that measurements are pretty much reserved for idols, models, and 2D characters. Real people don't give that stuff out, and normal people shouldn't ask for it.

This doesn't seem like the kind of game that would want to dehumanize its characters like that, but then one of them is a mad scientist who built a robot to fight a space alien, so I dunno.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is it mathematically impossible to get the ending you want without all this savescumming, or are you just doing it because it's easier this way, and losing your campaign wouldn't make for a very interesting LP?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

It's more than possible. But this exact sequence was the ideal situation, since it provides something like 7 Sundays worth of affection/bomb clearing. So it gives us way more leeway.

I see. So this isn't what a normal campaign looks like, but a cautionary tale of exactly what it takes to ascend to a level beyond Utter Perfection.

I may play this video game at some point. You said it's on the Japanese PSN store, right?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Higher affection levels make bomb timers shorter, and leads to more events that raise the bomb meter as well - having to say no to the after school walk home events and date invitations adds up fast. Walking home with someone after school also raises the bomb meter of every other girl in the game.

As the Native Americans teach us by way of Civilization 4: "If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both." There's also another relevant saying they quote in that game. I think it goes: "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Sooner or later, these stars too will be mine...

Listen to that confidence. Yuina has no need for Goon. "Girls, take over" indeed.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 29, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Ayako is another of the girls who really stood out from the cast back in the day - she hovered in the top half of the popularity polls, and was able to get her own side game because Miharu's voice actress was busy recording the lead role for True Love Stories, a game that was being made to capitalize on Tokimeki Memorial's success. Again, this game came before the reign of moe - Ayako's popularity was mostly based on her sense of humor and general quirkiness, not on her representation of a particularly well-known archetype. Although I could be wrong - maybe English-speaking artists with a love for H.R. Giger was a thing back in the '90s. I wouldn't judge.

Putting aside any problems with the word "moe" in particular, here's what I don't get about that: the people who liked Ayako when they were in their teens and 20s are the ones instigating the reign of moe now. And even if they don't have a choice because they're all sellouts and the market has decided that's the only thing it wants... that didn't just come out of nowhere. Where did it all go wrong between 1994 and now? There has to have been one comic or game or TV show or whatever around the turn of the millennium that ruined everything, right? What was it?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

This is a pretty loaded topic, but the consensus seems to be that it was the Azumanga Daioh anime.

Oh, interesting. I've vaguely heard of that. I kind of want to see it now. If it's even in the running to be called that, it has to have been pretty influential.

If I'm committing some terrible faux pas by talking about this, I apologize. I don't, to borrow a phrase, know my anime rear end from an anime hole in the ground.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

I'm looking at approximately 7:30 or 8:00PM Pacific time for the stream. A farewell party for a co-worker ends at around 6 PM, so I maaaay be a little drunk still.

It's only appropriate. Didn't we all spend our last few months of high school a little drunk?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Thanks to everyone who showed up on the stream! It was a lot of fun. I'll try and post the Yuina ending over the long weekend, and I think I'll be streaming fairly regularly from here on out.

Thanks for showing Sentimental Graffiti at the end there. I definitely see what you mean when you say it isn't a good game, but it seems like it at least has some interesting ideas. And it didn't make me physically uncomfortable to watch like Senran Kagura did.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Yuina: But I was a woman who sold her soul to a demon named Science.

That's a hell of a turn of phrase. Does she say the same thing in Japanese?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Achernar posted:

One thing I like about this game is how different the girls are personality-wise, being from before the age of Moe or Tsundere.

I don't think there's a direct causation there. Trashy games are always going to be trashy. New developments in bad writing don't magically turn visionaries into hacks and high art into dross. The only difference is, the "exploitation games" from 1994 aren't well-liked or well-known enough to be Let's Translated 20 years later.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Yes. The exact Japanese is 私は科学という悪魔に魂を売り渡した女.

You can hear it at 1:31 of her ending, conveniently posted on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE1MMQNIkQU

I see. Interesting that the idiom of "selling your soul to the Devil" also exists in Japanese, then. It makes it translate almost too well. It reads as such strongly literary English that it's almost out of place in a game that's otherwise so very Japanese.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Soricidus posted:

It translates well because it's literally a reference to Faust.

Basically, you need to remember that this game is set in Japan, a real country that has been strongly influenced by Western ideas over the last 150 years. Its creators did not engage in a purge to preserve the sanctity of ~glorious Nippon culture~.

That's fair, my bad. I guess I just don't think of classical German folklore, in particular, as a strong influence on modern Japanese vocabulary.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

The most obvious change is that Tokimeki Memorial 2 takes place in Hibikino, a city right next door to Tokimeki Memorial's Kirameki city. Hibikino is apparently the sister city of Eugene, Oregon, because holy crap that green and gold color scheme burns itself into the eyes.
Hey, one of my primary schools had a green and gold uniform. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. :colbert:

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 17, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't know why Goon and Hikari keep sneezing after they say Kasumi's name. Must be one of those Pavlovian things.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

If you would like a primer on Japanese honorifics, who uses what, and what they mean, let me know. Otherwise I'll just consider this a joke.
That was a joke, yeah. Maybe not a very good one.

vibratingsheep posted:

To the right of Ocelot: A note about how Metal Gear (2?)'s "integral" parts have finally been finished and he's watching the DVD of MGS2 and hoping it'll get released soon after taking such a long time. But that dev's favorite games are games like Syphon Filter, Rainbow 6, and Spec Ops....
"Integral" was the subtitle of the rerelease of Metal Gear Solid 1. I assume he's referring to that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Minazuki Kotoko
Born December 2nd
Sagittarius, Blood type AB
Height: 166cm
B86 / W58 / H84
Club: Tea Ceremony
Memo: A traditional woman who loves old-fashioned Japanese ways.
Kinda scary when she's angry.

And her surname is the traditional Japanese name for one of the lunar months, and her given name comes from the name of a traditional Japanese musical instrument?

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 20, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for doing your part to help Tokimeki Puzzle Dama become the top game on Twitch, everyone. Don't stop believing; support esports! I know we'll get there.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Yes, you can walk home with the guys in Tokimemo 2. A few of these events will give you vital information about them and their goals, others will give you tips about talking to girls. And the rest of them serve well for cockblocking purposes.

The logical end point of this system is that in TM3 or 4 you'll have an extra friend who isn't interested in girls and instead teams up with you and runs interference against the other boys under your direction.

Am I close?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 2: Payin' anything to make Sheep roll the dice just one more time.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Giblo \'gib-lō\
1. verb: To load from a previous save point in a video game and retry an action, hoping for a different outcome.
2. noun: The practice of loading a previous saved game and retrying.
Synonyms: Save scumming
Origin: from the Japanese ギブロ, an abbrevation of "GIVE up and LOad".

Hahaha. I encountered that word for the first time in a Japanese guide I was reading just the other day. I figured that was what it meant, but Google Translate had no idea what the gently caress to make of it. :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Girl: Hehehehe, thanks for worrying. Could you tell me your name?
Goon: Yeah, sure. It's Fudou.
Girl: For that name, hm... Goo-pyon!

The Goo is for Goon, and the Pyon, as I mentioned in previous posts, is the sound that small animals make when they hop. It's a very cutesy nickname.
But... he only gave his surname. :psyduck:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I admit, the fedora is a dead giveaway.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Point of clarification - technically, you never have a girlfriend in the Tokimemo series until graduation day. It's how they match the high school life simulation with the romance portion. It's a bit of a weird abstraction, which is part of why the visual novel replaced the romance/dating simulation. Game mechanics and story didn't have to tie closely together in the VN.

So it all comes back to ludonarrative dissonance, huh? :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

I wish there were some way to tell them apart other than by staring at the chest every time. It makes me feel weird.
Good. Hold onto that feeling. It's when you stop feeling weird about it that you'll have a problem.

vibratingsheep posted:

Calling someone by just their last name is kind of brusque. Calling someone by just their first name is really, really familiar (this is why only Hikari lets you do it). -san is relatively polite, while -chan is a diminutive form of address you use on children and close friends.
Is calling someone "Surname-chan" something anyone would ever realistically do in actual Japanese for real? In what situation would you want to use someone's formal name and a familiar suffix?

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 14, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Between the reaction here and the, erm, size difference you may notice between Miho and B-ho, you do have to wonder where in this crazy story a non-goldfish would have noticed that there seem to be two different people going on dates with him.

Goon's a good kid. Unlike some people, he's only looking at their faces.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sketchie posted:

Like that Final Fantasy VII LP. It's been three years. THREE YEARS and they have yet to finish it.

I wonder which LP took the longest to finish in the past, anyway...

Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific LP ran for about three and a half years. That's the longest one I know of off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Hypocrisy alert: the underlying theory of moe involves invoking a protective or paternal urge, and Kaedeko fits that archetype to a T. Yet I still like her. Dammit, baseball!

Invoking a protective or paternal urge is one of the oldest tricks in the book. If that's all it takes to make something moe, I've got some moe cave paintings to show you.

In other words, the underlying theory isn't the problem. "Moe" is the underlying theory twisted into something far worse, which is why it's become a dirty word.

• Locked thread