Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Girls love the D.

And I also demand the utmost in anime waifu perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

FM posted:

Another fun fact - Tokimeki Memorial 2 had a system by which the characters would be able to call you by your name, in some example of pre-Vocaloid technology gone horribly wrong...

Having all the games in the Girl's Side version of this series on DS and having played one of the later Playstation games I can say that it's pretty drat hilarious to get the guys saying ridiculous poo poo as your nickname.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Trampoline posted:

My only experience with this game is the Game Center CX episode, and I have to say... How did Arino manage to get the Shiori ending with all the two-timing he did? :psyduck:

Y'know that episode was very vague about his progress, didn't elaborate much, and to this day I still don't think Arino pulled it off. I think they set it up. :tinfoil:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Hahaha, is making chocolate some kind of awful mini-game in the GS games? And I'm halfway willing to play the Girl's Side games, but largely unwilling to buy them for the purposes of LPing.

Thanks for reading!

Good news, I have all the Girls Side games and am willing to mail them to you if you are willing to mail them back when you are done with them. I see you do not have PMs, but you can email me at soiendure at gmail to arrange it up if you want.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
The three I have are for the Nintendo 3ds. Some versions have been released on the Playstation, I do not have those. The 3ds games have a few unique anime cutscenes that aren't in the Playstation releases.

As for how to take 3DS screenshots, Maple Leaf might be able to provide an in depth guide since s/he did the Kid Icarus: Uprising LP so well.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 18, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Interesting observation from the stream.

That is a phenomenal call back from Konami. :golfclap:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I'm All about us being there for our future waifu. (Also the story in this game is amazing and it would be a crime to not have it shown off.)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Blue posted:

Hikari is annoying, and we've already seen the childhood friend route with Shiori.

:colbert: No we have not because Shiori doesn't treat you like a friend at all.

vibratingsheep posted:

Biggest difference between Tokimemo 1 and Tokimemo 2: Your childhood friend acknowledges your existence. And actually acts like your friend.

I really really want to see a Hikari run, but I also cannot say no to the frog. B :getin:

Also:

This song has been stuck in my head since I watched your (first) stream. Catchy as gently caress.

vibratingsheep posted:

I wish headmasters in every Tokimemo game could be as awesome (and non-creepy) as this guy.

vibratingsheep posted:

Have I mentioned that Hikari would've been easy mode? Because it would have been. I hate you guys.

Hey man, at least we aren't asking you to pursue Kasumi. (Because you wouldn't let us, most likely.)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Tokimemo series is hard to translate because [stuff].

Additionally one of the reasons people love Tokimemo 1 so drat much is because it's so perfectly Konami. It wasn't enough to chase girls and get your happily ever after with your waifu. Konami added a whole BUNCH of additional awesome stuff to the game that you have to find and ALSO translate. I've heard there's a fan theory that we STILL haven't found everything.

All that awesome extra stuff actually pushed the disk to its limits, pretty much almost filling all of it. Hence why a translation patch is so difficult because of the issues mentioned above.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Since we're making suggestions for your playlist, well...

If Never Gonna Give You Up, as tired and overused as it is now, isn't slipped in there somewhere then I am sorely disappointed in you. :colbert:

But also:
Strange Disease by Prozzak.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I think it's cute that Miho loves frogs and wants a prince. Everyone knows that kissing a frog can give you a prince sometimes. :3:

I've been won over by that cute and am voting Miho

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\

Not if they do not also want to be at gunpoint, which they do not.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Bah, you were too greedy! The game has you default call Miho Shirayuki-san, right? So you should have started calling this Miho Shirayuki-chan since it's something both Miho and B-Ho would let you call them but not the default name. This would have given you a bit of a spoiler for when the main character said Chan or San. Then it would just be a matter of determining which one was Chan.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

:negative:

I am old. I must pass on my knowledge before I am too decrepit to continue. Very well, children, come to the fire and listen to tales of a simpler world, before the moe boom descended on the industry like a plague of locusts...

(Hypocrisy alert: the underlying theory of moe involves invoking a protective or paternal urge, and Kaedeko fits that archetype to a T. Yet I still like her. Dammit, baseball!)

I believe we are the same age, my friend. We are both such old people.

I know the eventual plan was to slowly meander over to Metal Wolf Chaos, which I own, and would love to see.

I think a lot of us want to see everything because these games are just so amazing and since the bulk of us are not fluent enough in Japanese to ever play them and will never see a translation this might be our only way.

Ultimately, this LP didn't go gold for nothing VS. Your LP style is great so I can only chime in that I trust you to go with your gut and do what's right by you. (Believe in your own justice!) After all, you could always come back to these games to show off everything at a future time.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
He calls her Kasumi-Sensei while they are at school and the less informal name outside school. I think this is sufficient. It's probably close to the equivalent to being all polite and professional with your friends at work then calling them losers and shitheads at the bar that weekend.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

"Snake, this is a dating mission!!"

I can just see Snake spraying coolant on a girl to neutralize the bomb.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
This and this were posted in the PYF Slam Jam thread and I felt it would be relevant to everyone's interests here as well.

I don't know if I could handle the guilt of spurning Hikari consecutively.

I hope VS streams more Bistro Cupid because I wanna talk about gross food with ChorpSaway again. :3:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 12, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

It may seem cliched that they used the old twin swap trick, but hey, Shakespeare used it in not one, but two of his plays, and not many people complain about him (unless they're heathens, of course).

Just for you, VS, and fellow readers, with respect. (Might be NWS...)
I wanted to suggest this for the spotify playlist when we were suggesting songs in the thread way back when, but spoilers.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

So what life simulators are out there that are good for those of us who don't speak Japanese?

Dating Sim + Zaniness and clever concept: Hatoful Boyfriend

Girl Protagonist Dating Sim with English Translation: Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom

Fun game with dating elements and the best game in the series: Rune Factory 3
Same elements as Rune Factory 3 and I've heard good things about it but haven't played it myself: Sweet Fuse: At Your Side

:siren::nws::nws::nws::siren: JUST STRAIGHT UP SEXY AS HELL GET STOKED Starfighter Visual Novel :getin:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\

Hey now, Hatoful technically has stats. :colbert:

Pah! Lemme see what I can dig up with actual numbers and stats the style of Tokimemo. (I like those too, but they seem pretty rare to find translated.) Hakuoki has no stats.

I shall begin my search now, I'll try to see what I can cautiously recommend via videos and such as I do not like to put my stamp of approval on crap.

Logfile:
* Suggested Princess Debut, but Princess Debut does not appear to have stat gaining/raising sim aspects and/or takes forever to get to them so my search continues.
* Considered suggesting Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure but it appears to be primarily an RPG.
* Summer Session fits the criteria but its art is bad and the writing I saw in the one video I dredged up wasn't particularly endearing.
* Loads of searching Tokimemo games on Amazon and following around what other people purchased with them leads me only to games that are also solely in Japanese.
* :gonk: OH JESUS CHRIST WHAT HAS ALL THIS SEARCHING DONE TO MY AMAZON RECOMMENDATIONS. :smithicide:
* At this point I give up.

Things I can confidently recommend:
Obviously there is the Persona Series which totally has stats and levels ups and love interests. :mrgw:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Baseball, because I want baseball spergin.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

She also joins the game the latest out of everyone, so it's a pretty boring playthrough of stat grind, stat grind, play the trumpet, stat grind, datethebabysitternonstop. It's low on personality and high on grind.

In short, Kasumi is an even more boring Shiori.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
C, I think Kaori would suit him better.

I read that Jun gets very very dejected and emo if he goes after Madam Baseball, effectively quitting. You may wanna hook him up with Lady Suicide instead.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Is she so unenthused because she hates Goon or because Jun is unimpressive? :ohdear:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Not to hype but my spouse just finished the Hikari route and I got a lil' misty-eyed at it. Also, the Kotoko route is pretty sweet and sour. :mrgw:

This game is amazing, I know you're gonna keep going but thank you so much for sharing all this with us, Sheep.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Nemo Somen posted:

This seem a bit too dark for Tokimeki Memorial. My guess is that she actually plays the quiet type who enjoys being with animals, at least according to the more common tropes I've seen in anime.

Kaori is a hard run, but I think it's her reveal of why she is the way she is that made people emphasize with her. She's so popular she got her own manga story because Fans didn't want the sad ending that happens when you ignore her to be so but also knew Tokimemo 2's OTP was Protag-Kun + Hikari.

Her main theme is trust, and that's all I'm gonna say without spoiling things.

But as an aside, I think I she'd be very much a Japanese vs American fandom split. I suspect she'd be offputting for Americans as it takes her a really long time to warm up to you and Americans are impatient.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Vil posted:

And why do all of them have eye color that match their hair color? The one with glasses doesn't even have to wear glasses because she's wearing pink-tinted contacts!

This is actually one of my biggest animation pet-peeves. I hate when a character's hair is the same color as their eyes as it displays a laziness in animation/coloring and to me became a signal of a bad product.

Even now when they do it and the characters are decent it still seems lazy to me. I'm not exactly sure how justified I am in this belief as I do not know how much budget/time one saves by insuring their Korean animators do not have to change pencil color/paint color in animation program from hair to eyes.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 30, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Coughman posted:

So I guess I should ask, is the Girl Side better, equal, or worse to this installment?
Or are we saving that for when we get to it?

The first Girl Side is meh but WAY better than this. (It really only loses points to me because one of the dateable characters is especially inappropriate for a high school girl and the "childhood friend"/Canon pursuit character is unlikeable and has no personality.)

The second Girl Side is pretty drat good! It still has some creepiness but the boys are far more interesting.

the third in the series is really something :allears:.

So yeah GS > TokiMemo3

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

GodofDiscord posted:

Oh I've got one.

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3: At least we have Holiday Star.

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3: Why can't they be birds?

This is a joke.

I have no actual opinion on a new thread title.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Kawai Rika is so kawaii. (I'm voting for Pink)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

If nothing else, at least I'm kind of liking Serika so far. We haven't seen anything particularly endearing or interesting from her but I'm a sucker for aloofness.

I have a thing for girls in suits so she's growing on me.

Confused Llama posted:

I'm beginning to wonder whether Tokimemo 3 was a deliberate attempt to troll the section of the audience who actually used dating sims as an attempt to train themselves for real-life interactions, purely for the malicious enjoyment of the thought of them a) taking this game as final proof that they would never understand the cruel vagaries of the female half of the species or b) actually wearing business suits to amusement parks and decorating their rooms with petrified tree stumps in the mistaken belief that doing so would make them suave-rear end motherfuckers.

I missed this last stream but I want to repeat what I said in the first one. I'd love if they were that self-aware.

Ideal meta-commentary would have them bring back this stalker/creeping mechanic you have to do here (learning/cataloging everything about girls) but then have your male classmates and friends begin coming up to you or calling you to ask for your details on the girls. Cue the realization that you're the creepy game mechanic guy this time.
(I would put the M. Night Shyamalan smilie here but I can't find it/can't remember the code for it.)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Catalina posted:

Oh! An English patch for the PSP version of Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3 just came out!

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tokimeki-memorial-girls-side-premium-3rd-story-english-translation.367491/

I didn't even know this was even close to being out. Yay!

(I assume the other group is working on the DS one, too.)

It's just not the same without skinship.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

:stonklol: ...

Why?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

PBJ posted:

I see Serika is trying out her new Imperial officer costume.

Soon she'll have to go to war with Yukiko.

Man, was one of the complaints about Tokimemo that it was too easy and so Konami oversteered and made it impossible?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Sheep, you ever get your hands on the Girls Side games or do you need me to shoot my copies your way?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Mine are the Nintendo DS versions anyway. Bonus: the DS versions (according to the walkthrough I use) has a few extra CGs here and there which, if you go the routes that have them, I'll post up for ya.

If I can figure out how to screen capture on a 3/ds... :argh:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Niel posted:

I vote Girl's Side for the, uh, questionable love interest.

He's going to get Goon Rush voted for so hard.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Not gonna happen. Won't let it.

Thank you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Now I have to know. Is it the principal?

Yes. At least the Teacher is properly disapproving and discouraging of any pursuit.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Everytime I try to watch the Twitch-archived video of the stream it locks up and won't progress and jumps around so now I'm kicking myself for missing it and also really looking forward to this update. It's taking everything in my power to not hover over those spoilers bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

D3m3 posted:

Only one problem and it's a bitch.

Find ANOTHER girl to befriend by raising other stats or joining their clubs to bump into them. I believe you meet Sporty Girl by exercising a lot, etc. Once you unlock another girl just hang out with her instead. My favorite girl is Arisawa and she's also the best.

• Locked thread