Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I liked how colorful it was. That's it. It's hard to judge from just 10 minutes but it's the first 10 minutes, and in the time it takes to air that CN/Adult Swim could air an entire episode of Adventure Time.

I can't say I'm a fan of Watanabe since I couldn't get into Bebop and haven't watched any of his other shows. But he made Baby Blue from Genius Party and that's one of the best uses of 15 minutes I've ever seen, so I think he could have opened with something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah, from middle school.

I wonder where they are going with the show. Space Dandy seems like a more creepy and less mature Johnny Bravo who likes to abuse his robot. The cat he's chasing who's presumably going to join his crew is probably on the run for being a sex offender. These aren't exactly the most likable characters and I can only hope that's intentional.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Takoluka posted:

Someone on my Twitter feed said that someone on the JP staff for the show said that the dub script changes supposedly ruin certain aspects of the show. Can anyone confirm any major differences in the two regions' versions?
I mentioned in the thread about the preview of the first 10 minutes that Dandy seemed like a mean-spirited rear end in a top hat. In comparison the dubbed Dandy is harmless and charming, like when he threatens to replace the robot they add a line about how he's joking.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The preview sub was also not official, so it doesn't really have any bearing on what Funimation did.
It also didn't have translator's notes, but let's not hold Funimation against the high standards of fansubbing. :rolleyes:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

In terms of being "deep" or not...whatever. Space Dandy is just a fun show to watch. I mean, yeah, it's partially because it's clear that the people animating this are just having a blast pulling out all the stops and doing little their own little scenes and artistic flairs, but that definitely comes across for me and part of the reason I can't wait for the next episode is to see what they'll do next in the department. But only partially, I also like watching this band of space goofs bungle their way across the galaxy. Not everything's gotta be cerebral drama, or even overblown use of made up terms and vague imagery masquerading as depth [I'm looking at you, 50% of modern anime].
I like silly things and the art and animation is pretty good. But after the newest episode of Space Dandy I decided to watch the newest episode of Kill la Kill and it struck me just much sillier and funnier and cooler it is, and the Tatami Galaxy simulwatch makes the art and animation of Space Dandy just look kinda generic in comparison.

Though if they could focus on things like the giant thumbs up robot sequence and cosmic ramen stand it would be a lot better.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
This show's writing plus zombies should have been really terrible. What happened?

It's not saying much but zombie existentialism inspired by yoghurt is probably the best zombie related thing ever written.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I don't think either of the narrators are anything special. It's just that the writers failed to produce any good or unique ideas until for just the second half of this episode they manage to produce several.

Even the Japanese version's "zombie senpai" was funnier than anything in the previous episodes.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Zorak posted:

That was a fun episode, the thing that still gets me in this show is the minor poo poo they animate that they could easily have shortcut a lot more, like the audiences.
I like this episode and the animation was great, but I have a hard time admiring something just because it has a lot of man hours put into it. It also nags at me a bit that the "all-star" directors and writers probably earn more money than the animators even though the latter are keeping the show afloat mostly by themselves.

Last resort explosion propulsion is great though and just the kind of silly thing I want from a show like this.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

buzmeg posted:

Not even close.

Okay, I will grant that I'm given to some hyperbole. Wolf's Rain was not "utter garbage" (see: Witchblade, Zero no Tsukaima, etc. for utter garbage)

However it's so aggressively mediocre (and I'm being painfully forgiving) that it doesn't even merit an entry on the ADTRWiki. That's pretty indicative.
I'm definitely going to watch this show some time because the consensus at ANNcast seemed to be that it was a masterpiece and one of the best anime series ever made. I don't think your opinion is weird though since Annie Hall and Ratatouille are some people's favorite movies of all time, yet I think they are two of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Did no one else laugh at the dog thing? Everything about it felt like a ridiculous parody of dog melodrama.

Also the latest one was definitely one of the few actually good episodes. The art, animation and music is the reason I'm watching this, and with a few exceptions of attempting to be wacky like fat Meow, that's what the episode focused on.

• Locked thread