Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ProfessorProf posted:

Updated to the latest version of ShareX, and now I can't drag-and-drop upload anymore. Anyone else run into this / know a fix?

It did that for me the day I updated it and then randomly worked again a few days later.

Otherwise there's a button that gives you options on what to upload, so you can use that until drag & drop decides to work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think GifCam is the standard, but I never really messed around with it so don't know how it works. VirtualDub has an option, I think there's an ImageMagick or whatever plugin that works with AvsPmod, I hear GIMP works.

I do mine in GIF Movie Gear and it's a fantastic program, but it also costs $30 and no way I'm recommending spending that money just to make good GIFs unless you're going to make a lot.

Maybe one weekend I'll mess around with stuff and see what works.

e: Also I don't think WebM's work with everything, namely iOS, plus I've heard complaints about having numerous ones on the same page will cause slowdown and other weird issues, so I'm hesitant recommending them as an option.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 17, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

e: lol it's impossible to look up because people are so furious about Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV and the MLB loading screens that Google is flooded with them, even if you search for a specific game

To be fair MLB loses a lot of its appeal without those loading screens.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Have you clicked Update when you change stuff? I don't think it saves stuff automatically.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TheMcD posted:

IrfanView has a powerful batch resize / conversion option that gives you a lot of options to play with. It can handle a simple integer resize pretty easily.

Click "Use advance options (for bulk resize)" and make sure "Use Resample function (Better Quality)" is unchecked in your case and resize by 200% or 300% (e: GBC might even want 400%, experiment and see which looks best to you).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A note that iOS and possibly some other browsers don't support webm. Then again there's issues with MP4s with some browsers apparently. It's a pain in general.

Helpful hint for others I had to learn myself. The way the forums embed MP4s are pretty hackish. GIFVs from Imgur and Gyfcat will autoplay, so if you'll have multiple embeds I highly suggest not using either of those sites so those MP4s won't autoplay, plus you get to include sound.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I think he sometimes is just really busy and might also get lots of emails? You might just shoot him a quick inquiry if it's been like a week or two without a response.

Also check your spam folder, I've had an e-mail from him fall in there once and almost missed it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Want to give a shoutout to BizHawk, a multi-platform emulator designed primarily for tool-assisted speedruns. That said, it offers in-emulator movie recording for some platforms that are otherwise kind of a pain to deal with (SNES, PS1, GBA) and supports lossless recording to .mkv, which from my experience usually has lower size and at least within BizHawk gives better performance when playing while recording than using AVI recording with a lossless codec.

If you're curious, the set-up I've been using is File -> AVI/WAV -> Configure AVI/WAV Recording -> Ffmpeg writer -> Matroska Lossless.

Of course, if there are any improvements or better alternatives feel free to recommend them. But it's pretty nice not to rely on screen recording software to record PS1 games for once, or to be able to record SNES gameplay with sound since SNES9x's AVI recording is so weird.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If someone wants to back it up on the Wiki or whatever, it's up on the Wayback Machine.

Though honestly it's much simpler to go with the rule of thumb of "sprite-based = PNG, 3D = JPG" or "If the PNGs are over 150-200KB, convert to JPGs" instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The second one looks fine to me.

If recording N64 stuff ends up being a pain in the rear end (and having tried it before, it usually is), apparently BizHawk supports the N64 and has in-emulator recording. I recommend FFmpeg writer -> Matroska Lossless if you go that route, as it's been giving me much better performance and smaller file sizes than the lossless AVI codecs, and all you have to do for AviSynth is install the FFmpegSource plugin, load the video with FFmpegSource2("C:\filename.mkv",atrack=-1) in AvsPMod, and wait a minute or two for it to index.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

So, I went and grabbed Bizhawk; I like in-emulator recorders, since they generally make things easier. However, this is not turning out to be true in this case.

When I was trying to get some test footage, make sure it would play nice with avisynth and all that, whenever I tried to record with the FFmpeg writer, using Mastroska lossless, I get insane slowdown to the point where it's unplayable. I've tried the different profiles and none of them fix the issue. I hosed with a number of settings and I'm still not getting any further ahead in actually recording anything, and I don't know what the hell to do.

Honestly no clue there. I had slowdown for SNES/PS1 stuff doing regular AVI recording with Lagarith, but MKV worked fine for both. Maybe it's N64-specific or something.

Maybe I'll futz around after work today and see how N64 recording works in my end.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

The image format guide in the OP is down, so I wanted to double-check, if I need to resize GBA screenshots, .png is still the way to go over .jpg, right?

Speaking of, for anyone who's done a GBA screenshot LP, any suggested resolutions for the images?

I'd definitely go .png with GBA, just make sure the taken images are small file-size wise (I believe the GBA's native resolution is 240x160).

For my GBA runs I went x2 size, should be big enough, though x3 could work too. Just make sure to go Nearest Neighbor resizing (or disable the "Better Resampling resize" function or whatever if using Irfanview) since that keeps the pixels and also keeps the filesize down significantly for PNGs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Alternate solution is to set posts-per-page in the URL to 1 and page number to whatever post it is.

For example, here is this post under that URL.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Looking into starting screenshot LPs of bad RPGs like Pier Solar. I'm a complete baby but I'm working on doing my homework.

I've been digging in this thread but haven't been able to find an answer to this question: what's the best way to extract a talking head from a screenshot?

1. Hope someone has already ripped the sprites and work from those. The Spriters Resource is generally going to be your best bet. Probably unlikely if you opt for more obscure/newer RPGs.
2. Extract directly from the game files. This will be easier with some games than with others, and it's going to depend largely on the individual game how feasible this will be.
3. Throw some screenshots in a photo editor and crop out (and possibly resize) the talking head. If the background is simple, you may want to use a magic selection tool to delete the background and keep things transparent. Again, the feasibility of this depends on each game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

It worked after a few minutes. I was afraid the thing had crashed...

It's going to keep doing that since it has to index the entire video, so don't be alarmed if AvsPmod freezes for a few minutes every time you load a new video.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Geemer posted:

Shotcut might be nice? https://shotcut.org/

I mentioned it in here before, but didn't get much in the way of feedback regarding possible cons or pros. The encoding settings are a bit different from what I'm used to with MeGUI et al. but it seems to put out good enough quality video.

Not that I ever use video editing software, but once I do I'll probably go with Shotcut if only because it'll actually read my small lossless MKV recordings from Bizhawk. The future AviSynth implementation you mentioned in your last post on it is also very promising for my purposes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I lost Drag-and-Drop functionality from some update like a year or two ago. Instead I do Upload -> Upload folder, which only takes a tad longer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Other free options include Shotcut, DaVinci Resolve, and HitFilm Express, though I have no idea how useful they are, both in general and as far as editing Let's Plays goes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Since you're doing GBA, I recommend avoiding base VisualBoyAdvance since there's audio desync with its AVI recording. Instead use one of its forks like VBA-m or VBA-rr, or use an alternate emulator like mGBA or BizHawk.

If this is a pure SSLP with no video, then it doesn't really matter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

From my experience asking for feedback about JPGs, I wouldn't recommend going below 90 quality on anything, unless you'd get like over 200KB an image (and at that point, you might want to try other options instead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Why is it 28MB anyway? If it's a GIF, run it through Imgur to make it a GIFV or convert it yourself to a MP4, it'll compress a lot better that way. If it's a still image, then you're either working with a massive resolution or did something horribly wrong (or both).