Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, this sort of frame blending can't really be due to interlacing. What kind of capture card do you have?

What's probably going on is that your capture card is set to record 30 frames per second or 29.97 frames per second, which are NTSC rates. PAL uses a frame rate of 25 frames per second, and so the encoder is doing this frame blending to get it into 30fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mico posted:

I know you own an Avermeida card dish and Avermedia center TOTALLY handles interlaced sources this way.

Huh, you're right. The fun thing about that footage: if I use yadif on it, AviSynth segfaults. So I was tempting to blame the game, but now I'm not so sure...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The AverMedia card I have has no delay, even when recording. It's poo poo in all other aspects, but maybe the newer AverMedia devices are good as well?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
What system is it? The Spriters Resource has a few tutorials for ripping sprites from games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't think Audacity does any analysis on the audio file, it just has a set of defaults that are pretty standard (linear PCM, 8-bit, 44.1KhZ).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm not really sure what you'd expect a DirectX emulation tool to do. If the app uses another system like OpenGL or GDI, you can't really emulate DirectX.

Well, you theoretically could have an OpenGL-to-DirectX translator for apps that are written using OpenGL, like Wine but backwards, but really there's no good reason to do that. Traditionally, GPU drivers have had stronger DirectX support than OpenGL support, so you would encounter tons of performance and compatibility issues. It would be a monumental effort and nobody really would ever buy such a tool.

Basically, find another recording tool is your best option.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Add threads=1 to the FFVideoSource / FFAudioSource: v= FFVideosource("ALP.mp4", fpsnum=30, seekmode=0, threads=1)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Make sure your co-commentator can actually say the word "sync" on time. I've had a few that were like "3 2 1 Sync....... ..... .... sync!"

Is it seriously that hard? Come on man...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That said, hold Shift in Edit Mode to override aspect ratio while dragging the size.

Don't do this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Audacity is an excellent, powerful audio processing program with an intuitive user interface that allows for expert-level finesse and control.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Don't use x264vfw. VfW only supports AVI, and it's bad. How did you get the video in the first place?

Also, "Kompatibilitätseigenschaften Videoaufnahme" is hilarious.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I've never heard of MSI, other than the company that makes motherboards. What is it?

You can remux with the ffmpeg command line. I don't know if there's a simple GUI for it.

Grab the latest ffmpeg builds, drag them to a new folder in Windows Explorer, drag your .avi file in there as well. Shift-right-click on some empty space in the Explorer window and choose "Open command window here", and then type:

ffmpeg -i my_dumb_msi_vid.avi -acodec copy -vcodec copy my_smart_new_video.mp4

If you get any errors or it doesn't produce a new .mp4 file, take a screenshot of the command line window for us to see.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
MJPG is bad and you should not use it.

yes i always wanted my screen recorder to be Winamp.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
it's the eye of the tiger, the thrill of recording LP videos

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
H264 in an AVI container makes no sense, and is a gigantic hack. Don't do it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah okay, I just followed a suggestion itt. As said, the crux of the problem is that Fraps does not like this particular game, but Afterburner does. So I'm just testing what codec options can work.

Also, still waiting for a good reason why my MJPG video sucks. Not kidding, I seriously wanna know what I'm missing.

The downside to MJPEG is that we're not going to help you at all in the TSF and continue to laugh at you for still using MJPEG in TYOOL2014.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
For reference, it's known as "motion tracking". It's built into After Effects.

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/tracking-stabilizing-motion-cs5.html

Even if you can only nab the 30 day trial, I recommend you use that instead of Premiere.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

neetengie posted:

Let's say that you have both Premiere and After Effects, and if you use both, would it be Premiere first and then After Effects, or vice versa?

You'd build an AE comp and then insert it into Premiere.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Pretty much any editing suite will let you do this. The one that the TSF recommends is AviSynth, but there's other options: plenty of people in here like Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere. If you've never used any of these before, try following along with Vicas's AviSynth tutorial in the OP.

Also, you can certainly upscale or downscale your videos, but the quality may not be great. It might be acceptable, though. Can't tell until you try it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Use a real Wii. Or use FRAPS. One or the other should work.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xenoveritas posted:

designed AviSynth's syntax

lol, you think this happened

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

your evil twin posted:

The snowball iCE doesn't have the option to change settings, and it still has microphone grills on the back. They would be useless if it only recorded from the front. So I think the bloody useless thing is only omnidirectional.

It might be to save on construction costs, so they don't have to remold. In fact, for a low-budget model, that's probably what it is: microphones that didn't have good omnidirectional quality in QA, so they rebrand them and remove the switch. Or, if they want to be devious, both: if the omnidirectional mode fails QA, you get the cardoid mode, and if the cardoid mode fails QA, you get the omnidirectional mode.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
CS6 was the last retail release Adobe will make. CC is their replacement. Instead of releasing a new version every two years, they moved to a rolling update scheme.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can you file a bug here, and attach a FIFO log? See the wiki for details on how to record one. I'll look at it when I get back from work today, and see if I can fix that for you.

EDIT: have you tested using the latest nightly build? Make sure you do that first, and record a FIFO with that build as well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nothing works well on Linux. Don't even try.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
MeGUI's MP4 muxer, MP4Box, can sometimes output corrupt MP4 files that YouTube will process wrong. Using MKV will work around the problem. Somebody should update the TSF wiki to say to never mux to an MP4.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Download qt-faststart from here: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/qt-faststart/win64/

Then download qt-faststart-easy.bat and put it in the same directory. Then drag and drop your .mp4 file on top of qt-faststart-easy.bat

Your original .mp4 file will be renamed to say .mp4.orig and the new, "fixed" version is in its place.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Record? Sure, you can grab any off-the-shelf HD-DVR. To record? You're gonna need a computer to run some sort of streaming software. There aren't many appliances that can stream directly to Twitch.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's the card I have too. The software is absolutely garbage. It looks like this and it's impossible to use:

If you update to the latest firmware version (which is confusingly only on their AverMedia USA site, not their AverMedia Global site which is what you find when you Google AverMedia), then the files actually come out OK if you crank the video bitrate all the way up and check a few of the incomprehensible options like "Enable Stand By / Hibernate Supported" (somehow that prevents the stutter during recording!)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

I have a question. I downloaded AmaRec TV because someone recommended it a few pages ago. I got it because I've been having some problems with my Avermedia capture device. I installed the drivers and the editing program that comes with it, which worked FINE when I did an LP of a very long Wii game a couple years ago. Now I have my PS2 hooked into it, and the stock software doesn't even register that the thing is plugged in. Doesn't work when the Wii is plugged in either, so I don't know.

Anyway, got AmaRec to see if that would work. Well, it at least reads off the capture card, but the display only runs at like... 1 FPS. It's really bad, and I'm not even trying to run any recording software; I just wanted to play a game off it! My computer is quite beastly, so I don't know why it's having so much trouble. Is there something I can tweak or some program I can run to help? I just wanted to play my PS2 on my computer. :(

Or should I just give up and emulate the drat thing?

Try a different game. The PS2 lets the game control the video mode to the TV, and some games use really weird modes which capture cards completely gently caress up on. It sounds like that's what's happening.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I just load the AviSynth file into VirtualDub now. It's actually sort of what's supposed to happen — when ffdshow-tryouts was switched to LAV Filters, the raw YV12 filter got modified in a way that MPC-HC can't handle it. DirectShow is cool.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's a limited test to special partners. Rollout is happening slowly, but my source at YouTube tells me it's planned to happen before the end of the year.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For an admittedly quite drastic illustration of what cropping and then backsizing a small border does to a frame look at these:

http://lpix.org/1775113/example4original.png
http://lpix.org/1775114/example4scaled.png

Darn, my dreams of Let's Playing Infinite Checkers without 1080p hardware are squashed now. Thanks, jerkface.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

judge reinhold posted:

I was going to lazily suggest I'm trusting the fact it's streaming at what it says it is, but I decided to do an experiment to verify, ala what all those fascinating Cosmos nerds have wanted for years. I watched the network throughput and, indeed, it matched what I was setting the bitrate to in the program (even changing the streaming bitrate from 2 mbps to 700 kbps while the local disk recording was still going), yet the final encode on disk is 8 mbs.

As another "video goldilocks" who can't watch streams with too high bitrate, or videos with too low bitrate, it needs to be just right, I'd like someone to recommend me some LPs that were recorded on an Elgato Game Capture HD 60 2014. Dual-audio commentary appreciated, but not required.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
FFMS2 is the standard way to load .mp4 files. It's somewhat bizarre to use, and I have my own set of functions for it, but I believe the way you want to use it is

code:
FFMpegSource2("myvideo.mp4", atrack=-1, threads=1)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I haven't been able to play .avs files in MPC for quite some time. Try loading it in VirtualDub.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
If you want to go to one of the lovely -hams of MA, make it Needham or Waltham. Don't go to Framingham.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I'm not sure if it is. [edit] Just had a quick GS and there's a guide to connecting IRC chat and Twitch, and it mentions HexChat too, so I'll dig into that, thanks! I've never used IRC before, if you can believe that, is it relatively easy to get your head around? I'm running all games on my laptop, yeah, mostly fullscreen.

It sort of feels like an 80s hacker technology (because it is), but it's not really that different from any modern chat system.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I would like to insert some sound effects into my LP, but recent attempts to find MP3s of this nature got me a nasty Malware that I only recently got rid of. Does anybody know a good resource for getting sound effects like alarms or the like that's verified to be safe?

http://freesound.org/ has a lot.

If you want production quality sound effects, then the industry standard is http://www.sound-ideas.com/ and http://www.sounddogs.com/ which both license from the traditional Hollywood archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tired of compressing and optimizing GIFs? I just wrote a replacement. Doesn't work in Internet Explorer.