Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I only tried Shadowplay with Android Assault Cactus, so far. It didn't impact my frame-rate at all (Phenom X6 1055T, 16GB, GTX-660), but the resultant video had big hideous black macroblocking quite often, and it captured the Steam Overlay, too. Then again, it's currently beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The top one seems a little darker in places (the gradient on the wall behind the woman, for instance), but quality-wise they look the same to me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Edit: Before I forget, with the new Miiverse update allowing 3DS users to take screenshots of games that allow it, would that be a decent way of doing an SSLP?

I don't think so. For every screenshot you'd have to hit Home, load Miiverse (which takes a while) and post the screenshot (which I think everyone could see). Then you'd have to get on your PC and get the shots. It's possible! But I don't think it'd be any fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Except for some rare games like Animal Crossing, this is the only way to take screenshots. You can't actually save the framebuffer to SD or anything, just post it to Miiverse. It's kinda dumb, yes.

Style Savvy has screenshot saving too, but only the top screen and not all the time like AC. From memory I think those are the only two with screenshot saving built-in? It's still dumb. Maybe they'll add in browser uploading like the Wii U, but that'd still take an eon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Hell, can't OBS do that? Or does it not give the option to record locally as well as stream?

It does, yeah.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

toddy. posted:

Using the component cable through a HD-PVR2 recorded in Hauppauge Capture, 720x480 59.94fps TS (that's including all that black space around)

:psyduck:
All that black space is produced by the PSP output so it fits 720x480, no scaling. The image inside all that darkness is not the right ratio, the colours are weird and let's just all agree RJL capture has this down.

If you can get RJL working, use RJL, otherwise you will have to do unholy things with video editing to make it look good. You could also get PSVita capture (be it that 3rd party device or the Vita TV when that becomes a thing) and play PSP games off that upscaled.

There's a plugin that fixes the blackspace, called FuSA, but it works sporadically with games, doesn't work on any firmware above 6.3x and really if you have the ability to run it you should likely be using RJL anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mico posted:

Are you saying TV's down under have their own passthrough because that's loving crazy to me.

Yeah, a fair few of the ones I've owned do. Usually just CVBS-to-CVBS, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Are you setting the actual D3D Internal Resolution in the GS Plugin settings, or just the window size?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cheez posted:

When it stops deciding all my game capture windows should be widescreen, regardless of what's actually inside the box, then I'll think about it.

If only there were some sort of built in function to arrange and resize sources in a scene.

quote:

In an unrelated topic, does anyone have a good idea on how to do some audio wizardry? The VAC guide doesn't seem to be much help and I can barely follow it anyway. What I'm trying to do is stream a game so that Skype audio doesn't end up on the stream, just the game. We'll be recording our microphone audio through audacity and mixing the end result later so all that remains is to get some unmolested game audio in the unlikely event that something actually worth hearing comes up during the LP and prevent echoes.

Basically, for each VAC line, it adds a Audio Out device and an Audio In device. These are linked. So, setup a cable, set your game to output to the VAC device. Set OBS or Xsplit or whatever to capture from this device. Then, to get it mixed into your normal audio device, run Audio Repeated (MME), set Wave In to the VAC line and Wave Out to your speakers/headphones.

This.. might actually not be the ideal way, but it's what works for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cheez posted:

Oddly enough, this is not, or at least doesn't seem to be an option for the game in question. I'd have to change the default audio device to the cable and that may lead to needing more cables, and I think that's where my problem is starting. There has to be something I'm missing here because I regularly see streams where people are actually having trouble getting Skype into their stream to begin with.

In that case set the default audio out device in Windows to the VAC cable and have Skype set to output to your normal device.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

loving Lord.

Look, let's work this out. My profile is set to put out a 1280x720 recording. Let's use Doom. I've got Doom set to run at 800x600, which is a 4:3 aspect.

Set it up for Window Capture..

Oh, look at that. It looks fine! But it doesn't take up much space. Hit CTRL+F in Edit Scene mode.

Wow, that was hard! Now if you don't want black bars, fill them in with image sources/chats/whatever or set the stream size to a 4:3 resolution.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cheez posted:

Also window captures aren't generally a good idea if you have a big window that might frequently get covered.

Window capture isn't affected by stuff sitting over the top of it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cheez posted:

Really? First good thing I've heard in a while.

Yeah. Though overlays like Afterburner and Steam will show on it, but that's no big deal to fix.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Plus I expect window capture working with covered windows is dependent on Aero, since it's only when using a modern compositor that the covered portion of the window will remain. (

Oh yeah, that is the case actually. I'd completely forgotten about that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SourceElement posted:

You can also poke around Microsoft's site for their own virtual machine software and give that a try.

If you have Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise, you can use XP Mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode . It's basically a legal free copy of XP running in Virtual PC, but it does some nice integration stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

To be honest, I think Teamviwer is going to give you worse video than Android 4.4's built-in screen recording. Teamviewer isn't good enough for that sort of thing on two PCs, nevermind a phone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

EntranceJew posted:

TeamViewer on the phone doesn't work to connect from computer to phone, only phone to computer.

Not anymore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamviewer.quicksupport.market

You have to get the right addon for your device, and I'm gathering not all of them are supported (until recently it was just for Samsung devices), but.. yeah, it's a thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BoastfulVirus posted:

Only reason is because I can hear a tiny bit of static and I just want to make sure if anyone else could hear it so I can fix it.

Yeah, I hear a little bit of it. It stops at about 12s for some reason.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I might be missing something, but how come you're rendering the final video at a higher resolution like that? From what I remember, 864 should trigger the 720/HD processing on YouTube's end alone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

For what it's worth, the "private" aspect of it hasn't (yet?) gone away. I have a lot of crap sitting on my Minus account and none of it is viewable by anyone unless I explicitly give them a direct link to an image, or a gallery link that I've set up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Monitor capture will almost always run like butt. You can try disabling Aero/desktop composition to see if that helps.

Some games/programs won't capture unless you set them to Game Capture and then hit the hotkey once you start recording/streaming, so if you haven't tried that I'd give it a whirl.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Even if you use the hotkey? Just checking, because that's fixed it for me on some stuff (PPSSPP).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, might just be the oldness.. you could try forcing it into a window with something like D3Dwindower, at least then you could see OBS when you muck with it.. Xsplit is certainly worth trying, though.

Also your footage didn't look too bad, in the end, certainly watchable if it came down to it. At least by my eyes, obviously you need something you're happy with :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tendales posted:

I've got kind of a weirdly specific question: Does anyone know how to force XCOM to use a different audio device? I want to force it to use one of my Virtual Audio Cables.

With most programs, I can just switch the default audio to a VAC line, start the game so that its using that line, then alt-tab out to reset the default audio back to normal. Most games will stay on the VAC line when I do that, but XCOM just happily switches back to my speakers.

There's no in-game option to change audio devices, but I'm hoping there's some .ini setting or something I can change.

There's a program on this page that can force DirectSound onto a specific device, but if the game uses OpenAL I don't think that'll work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You're port forwarding, right? Fusion doesn't do UPNP so you need to manually forward UDP 5394. Make sure you're using each others external IPs, obviously, too.

Also Fusion's netplay isn't very good and the emulator hasn't been updated in forever. You may have better luck with RetroArch, which does things like GGPO where it constantly saves states and rolls them back when desync happens.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

Well okay this IS a Genesis game so long as we can play this Genesis game then fine. Firstly, what is port forwarding and how do we manually forward it?

Also, RetroArch eh? We might look into that.

Port forwarding is a setting in your router. Basically you set up a rule that says "when traffic comes in from the internet on port ####, send it straight to this IP". So you'll probably want to set your PC to a static IP, otherwise you'll have to go change the rull whenever DHCP rolls around and gives you a new one. portforward.com has some good guides.

Only the host needs to do this, by the way. The client just has to connect to their external IP (i.e., not 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x, check whatismyip.com to get it).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Something about that one enemy's turn is for some reason bugging out and sending a dud instruction to the primary CPU in the Saturn. It might be an emulation issue that you didn't get before, or an obscure bug that happens on real hardware.

I'd give it a shot on Yabuse, but there is an issue with it being a Saturn game in that Saturn emulations are pretty scarce - especially ones that work. That hardware is an absolute cow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

What does the "dropped frames" counter in OBS say when it happens? Also it might just be Twitch being a massive piece of poo poo, give it a try with Hitbox or something and see how it runs there with similar settings.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Aside from skipping through the interlace options with F5 while the game's running to see if there's a difference? Probably not. There's a homebrew program that could attempt to force progressive scan, which might work on the game. You'd have to boot the ELF for the program, then hope that PCSX2 will let it switch to the DVD-ROM. It should. If not you might be able to get an ISO version of the program, or make one yourself, and "swap disc" as it were.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Speaking of Premiere, is there that big of a functional difference between the CC and CS6?

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new.html

I think this is "stuff that's new in CC and wasn't in CS6", but it's hard to tell for sure.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Maybe try something other than VirtualDub for recording - it's never worked well for me even when the program wasn't ancient. OBS should work with SNES9x, either window capture or game capture.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'd see how emulating goes, because trying to fix analgoue capture cards is a loving bitch and a half. A recentish (November?) Windows Update made my DTV-1000T nigh useless. MCE doesn't find channels, neither does the stock software see the card at all and the only way I can get a AV signal on it is through OBS, except it stutters like mad unless I add a 1s buffer, which fucks with audio and controls and..uh..yeah. No harm in checking PCSX2 :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It doesn't (currently) work with windowed modes, sometimes it forgets to keyframe (though that seems to have gotten better lately) and.. I don't know if it'll split game/mic audio. But it's pretty spiffy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

So, I'm having a bit of issue with the OCR ImageMagick script, specifically the Windows batch version that I *think* was posted by Admiral Curtiss. I swear it used to work fine, but now when I run it after about four images it hits Maximum setlocal recursion level reached errors and ends up writing the buildtext variable to the file instead of the OCR results.

Batch: http://pastebin.com/9rgciQBp
Example output: http://pastebin.com/mGjPMfZW

Any ideas why this is happening?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Don't know why I thought it was yours, then, my bad!

That revision makes all the output "~1,-1", but it does indeed prevent the recursion.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

That version seems to be working alright enough for the moment, but I see what you mean. If it starts acting up I might just boot a Linux VM and use the original bash script or something. I wish I could pinpoint why it was working fine a few months ago, but I can't think of what's changed. Oh well. Thanks for your help, it's been much appreciated.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

EntranceJew posted:

Hey there. I wrote that kurmudgeon of a batch script. The problem is that I don't know why it doesn't work because batch scripts are crazy. The most I know was that it was working on a windows 7 machine and that the EnabledDelayExpansion doesn't seem to work in all environments. I'm sorry. :(

Nah, don't be sorry! It's still hella handy as is. I used to write some terrible batches for work, but I never had the joy of experiencing EnabledDelayExpansion. So, regardless, thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

psymonkey posted:

idk what gooncam is, but try using OBS instead. I use it when I record LoL and it's pretty pain free.

Gooncam is for quickly capping and editing GIFs, kind of a different scope to OBS.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sytakan posted:

Is this a common problem, or am I just a huge fuckup who missed something obvious?

CTRL-F11 slows down Dosbox's cycle-rate, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mico posted:

It works, but for streaming? Ha no.

My dad was using these all over the house when I moved back in. It worked for browsing the internet but it actually was USELESS for streaming or doing any co-op videogaming of any sort (my ping to a mumble server was about 400ms. Currently its 23.). I eventually convinced my dad to wire the house with CAT-6

Sounds like your house had pretty poo poo wiring, because they work pretty well for me.