Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Just chop 'em in half. 640x360 keeps the text legible.

And play around, see what looks best. Not recommending Nearest Neighbor with those 1-pixel lines, though.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I found resizing down to 853x480 works wonders personally. Not too big, not too small.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zeratanis posted:

I found resizing down to 853x480 works wonders personally. Not too big, not too small.

Unfortunately, it's not exactly 16:9, but it's close enough that you wouldn't notice any distortion. I just tried resizing it in Paint.NET to 853x480 and 1024x576, using both the bilinear and bicubic methods, and I think bicubic makes the lines stand out just a tiny bit more. For the most part, the difference was unnoticeable. 576p was a good middle ground between 480p and 720p, while maintaining a perfect 16:9 aspect ratio.

It's a shame to scale down such crisp artwork, but you don't want to end up with hundreds of similar images with only the text box being different. I'd recommend sticking with 720p, since it doesn't break tables on 1080p displays, and just transcribing all the dialogue after the screenshot, until the game switches to a new piece of artwork.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I just tried resizing it in Paint.NET to 853x480 and 1024x576, using both the bilinear and bicubic methods, and I think bicubic makes the lines stand out just a tiny bit more.
If it's bicubic sharper, then yeah, I completely agree. However, between regular bicubic and bilinear, I think that bilinear actually looks a little bit better. The text is a tad crisper and the colors are slightly better preserved.

That loving Sned posted:

It's a shame to scale down such crisp artwork, but you don't want to end up with hundreds of similar images with only the text box being different. I'd recommend sticking with 720p, since it doesn't break tables on 1080p displays, and just transcribing all the dialogue after the screenshot, until the game switches to a new piece of artwork.
I could absolutely do this, since I've already ripped the game's script. My only concern then would be if there's a long wall of text between the pieces of artwork, as it's a visual novel and those have a lot of text.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Schir posted:

I could absolutely do this, since I've already ripped the game's script. My only concern then would be if there's a long wall of text between the pieces of artwork, as it's a visual novel and those have a lot of text.

You could always do screenshots whenever the topic of conversation changes or when something important is said. That's how I generally balance between screenshots and dialogue for talky scenes.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Mega64 posted:

You could always do screenshots whenever the topic of conversation changes or when something important is said. That's how I generally balance between screenshots and dialogue for talky scenes.

That's a good idea. I think I'll try doing that. Thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also, do read some of the previous LPs of various JRPG etc. which have VN-ish sections, to get an idea of how others have been doing it. There is definitely a balance to strike between too many or too few full screenshots, how to handle characters speaking (mugshots, sizes and cropping), what to do about special effects/animations/sounds happening, how to add your own commentary if any, and such.

LinktheMaster
Apr 29, 2014
I don't have a question for LPing specifically, so I hope asking this question is okay.

Basically, I was wondering if there was some universal decision on how to stream with a guest. I've watched some of slowbeef's recorded streams, and I swear some of the people on it seem to react instantly. They don't seem to be a victim of the 10-15 second delay Twitch seems to have. They even seem to respond faster than Hitbox's 5 second delay.

I'm guessing it may be something like TeamViewer or Skype's screen sharing option. Just wondered if this sort of thing has been discussed. I tried looking around in this thread, but I might have missed it.

Edit: Apparently he uses Skype, so I'll try that. My tried it a long time ago and it was super choppy. Worth another shot though.

LinktheMaster fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 23, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have a question. I downloaded AmaRec TV because someone recommended it a few pages ago. I got it because I've been having some problems with my Avermedia capture device. I installed the drivers and the editing program that comes with it, which worked FINE when I did an LP of a very long Wii game a couple years ago. Now I have my PS2 hooked into it, and the stock software doesn't even register that the thing is plugged in. Doesn't work when the Wii is plugged in either, so I don't know.

Anyway, got AmaRec to see if that would work. Well, it at least reads off the capture card, but the display only runs at like... 1 FPS. It's really bad, and I'm not even trying to run any recording software; I just wanted to play a game off it! My computer is quite beastly, so I don't know why it's having so much trouble. Is there something I can tweak or some program I can run to help? I just wanted to play my PS2 on my computer. :(

Or should I just give up and emulate the drat thing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd see how emulating goes, because trying to fix analgoue capture cards is a loving bitch and a half. A recentish (November?) Windows Update made my DTV-1000T nigh useless. MCE doesn't find channels, neither does the stock software see the card at all and the only way I can get a AV signal on it is through OBS, except it stutters like mad unless I add a 1s buffer, which fucks with audio and controls and..uh..yeah. No harm in checking PCSX2 :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

I have a question. I downloaded AmaRec TV because someone recommended it a few pages ago. I got it because I've been having some problems with my Avermedia capture device. I installed the drivers and the editing program that comes with it, which worked FINE when I did an LP of a very long Wii game a couple years ago. Now I have my PS2 hooked into it, and the stock software doesn't even register that the thing is plugged in. Doesn't work when the Wii is plugged in either, so I don't know.

Anyway, got AmaRec to see if that would work. Well, it at least reads off the capture card, but the display only runs at like... 1 FPS. It's really bad, and I'm not even trying to run any recording software; I just wanted to play a game off it! My computer is quite beastly, so I don't know why it's having so much trouble. Is there something I can tweak or some program I can run to help? I just wanted to play my PS2 on my computer. :(

Or should I just give up and emulate the drat thing?

Try a different game. The PS2 lets the game control the video mode to the TV, and some games use really weird modes which capture cards completely gently caress up on. It sounds like that's what's happening.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The PS2's default mode is probably one of them, since gently caress all else uses 640x448.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Edward_Tohr posted:

So no, that shouldn't be it.

Double-check the flags you're running it with, and try running it from the command prompt if you're just double-clicking on it.

Running it from the command prompt worked, thanks so much :swoon:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

ZombieIsland posted:

Hey guys, I am having trouble recording with fraps. When I go and record I get immense amounts of lag in both the video after and during while I am playing. I'm not sure if its because of my computer, or maybe some settings in fraps may not be right. I built my computer a little over a year ago so I wouldn't think that would be it. I am recording the videos on a 1tb external hard drive as well. Here are my computer specs :

Mother Board : MSI H77MA-G43 LGA 1155 Intel H77
Graphics Card : EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Cpu : Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz
Hard Drive : Western Digital WD Blue
Ram : G.SKILL Value Series 8GB
Power Supply : SeaSonic G Series 550W

I was having issues with testing a potential future LP with FRAPS, after digging around I found the biggest help was adjusting the "Video Capture Settings" to a much higher number. There's something about FRAPS which makes the program freak out more if the frame rates exceeds the limit you're aiming for with the more heavier processed frame-dropping gameplay. Use a manual number which exceeds the limits your rig is handling, I've got mine set at 120 and it's reduced the lag a lot even though I'm achieving a maximum of 60.

A few sources I've looked into claim that ticking the "FPS" box in the benchmark settings is helpful too but I've not seen any explanations why.

tl;dr Double the achievable frame rate in the "Video capture settings" as FRAPS throws a fit if the game reaches beyond the limit you've set.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I'd just like to ask what everyone uses for their straight audio compression/conversion? I use freac, and a few searches hasn't really uncovered anything. I like freac and audacity, but I was just wondering if someone out there has found some potentially better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

I'd just like to ask what everyone uses for their straight audio compression/conversion? I use freac, and a few searches hasn't really uncovered anything. I like freac and audacity, but I was just wondering if someone out there has found some potentially better.

Opus is apparently a very good audio codec, but since most video sites re-encode the audio into AAC, I just record the audio uncompressed, and then use MeGUI to encode it to AAC using Nero AAC.

Nero AAC is apparently better than the FAAC encoder which comes with MeGUI by default, so all you have to do is install it from here, and in MeGUI go from Options, Settings, External Program Configuration, and enter the path to the file neroAacEnc.exe.

On the main page, select "Nero AAC: scratchpad" under Encoder settings, and press Config.

Constant bitrate means that the compressed audio will use the same data rate throughout the file, regardless of how easy or difficult it is to compress (i.e., silence would use as much data as the actual audio). Adaptive bitrate means that the overall file size will be the same as constant bitrate, but the more complex parts of the audio will be allocated more data, and vice versa. Variable bitrate is the most efficient, and uses a quality variable (default 0.5) which describes how close it will attempt to get to the original audio. Quality 1.0 would mean it would try and be exactly the same, although may result in a far larger size than the original, but 0.5 is usually good enough to be close to the original audio in both size and quality.

The extension of the file can be either .mp4 or .m4a, but you can change this later, and it makes no difference when muxing the audio and video together. Just make sure that you don't give your video and audio files the exact same name if they're both .mp4's, but Avisynth will usually change the audio to videoname_new.mp4 if it sees this happening.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 25, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So hey, I just found out that Nvidia Shadowplay exists. Are there any downsides at all to using it? My test recording ended up at a buttery smooth 60 fps and 8 gigs large at 30 minutes of footage, compared to Fraps' 40 gigs of the same length. It seems so amazing, but there has to be a catch, right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It doesn't (currently) work with windowed modes, sometimes it forgets to keyframe (though that seems to have gotten better lately) and.. I don't know if it'll split game/mic audio. But it's pretty spiffy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

When I tried it a few months back, the colors were really off, but that can be fixed by upping the gamma. Also, yeah, it's not kind to windowed modes, which sucks for people like me who insist on playing everything in borderless windowed mode.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

*mondo gnarly audio stuff*

Hahaha, I really appreciate the informative post, but I was talking about actual programs/frontends, though I am glad that I'm good in using AAC.

However, I guess I completely forget that MeGUI can process just straight audio without having to use video. Speaking of such, is MeGUI still doing the weird/buggy update thing, or has that been fixed?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CJacobs posted:

So hey, I just found out that Nvidia Shadowplay exists. Are there any downsides at all to using it? My test recording ended up at a buttery smooth 60 fps and 8 gigs large at 30 minutes of footage, compared to Fraps' 40 gigs of the same length. It seems so amazing, but there has to be a catch, right?

Aside from what else was mentioned (can confirm it doesn't split mic/game, this can be annoying) there's the issue that unless you're on windows 8, it splits files into 4GB chunks and has problems with framerate fluctuations, making joining them back up a huge pain in the rear end. Other than that, it's pretty neat. I like having it available, for sure. Also if games do weird things with how they render, it just gives up. I had some big problems with Shadowplay and Titanfall, which is pretty sad. Lost some great footage :(

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

Hahaha, I really appreciate the informative post, but I was talking about actual programs/frontends, though I am glad that I'm good in using AAC.

However, I guess I completely forget that MeGUI can process just straight audio without having to use video. Speaking of such, is MeGUI still doing the weird/buggy update thing, or has that been fixed?

I use Audacity for most of my audio editing, since it's great for noise removal and autoducking. I can post a guide on that if you'd like. I tend to export it to wav, or FLAC using the minimum compression and then encode it to what I want in MeGUI before muxing it with the final video.

There are some things MeGUI can handle itself if you use an Avisynth script, and the most useful functions can be found here.

For instance, you might have one audio recording at 48 kHz, and another at 44.1 kHz, so you can use the SSRC function to resample the 44.1 kHz track. Audacity can do this itself, because it automatically resamples any tracks you add to match the first file you load. To do this, you'd use the following script:

code:
DirectShowSource("audio.mp4")
SSRC(48000)
Another useful function is TimeStretch, which can be used to speed up or slow down audio without changing the pitch. For instance, you can fix one of your tracks if it's out of sync. In Audacity, find two points in each audio track that you know are meant to happen at the same time, then measure how much time is between them. If one track has 100 seconds between them and the other has 105 seconds, then you can speed up the second track using the following script:

code:
DirectShowSource("audio2.mp4")
TimeStretch(tempo = (105.0/100.0)*100.0)
Always remember to multiply by 100, because the function considers 100 to be normal speed, 50 to be half speed, and 200 to be double speed. I forget every single time, and wonder why my 30 minute audio track will take all day to compress, because it's now 3000 minutes.

Both Avisynth and Audacity are useful tools for audio editing, but you'll also want something that can handle video as well. I'm not sure what the best free program is, but I'm used to Adobe Premiere Pro.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

That loving Sned posted:

Both Avisynth and Audacity are useful tools for audio editing, but you'll also want something that can handle video as well.

I'm sorry, everyone. I've been using Avisynth for video editing all along, and now I'm informed that I'll have to stop because it doesn't actually do what it does.

(Avisynth does video just fine thank you.)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I'm sorry, everyone. I've been using Avisynth for video editing all along, and now I'm informed that I'll have to stop because it doesn't actually do what it does.

(Avisynth does video just fine thank you.)

I've been using Avisynth for most of my video editing as well, especially because it's easy to find specific functions for what you want to do, such as deinterlacing and upscaling. It's just difficult to work with video and audio at the same time, since the preview window in MeGUI doesn't have any audio, and opening the script in Media Player Classic Home Cinema often desyncs them. I just tried AvsPmod, and although it does have a live preview for the video, it also doesn't have any audio, and I'm not sure about VirtualDub, since it never seemed to work on my computer.

I tried making a trailer for my student cinema entirely in Avisynth, and getting the video clips timed to the music was an absolute nightmare. While Avisynth is perfectly fine for trimming out loading screens and deaths in an LP, the timeline editor in Premiere Pro is fantastic for anything more complicated.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It is kind of annoying getting a video player that works properly with avisynth. Virtualdub works well. VLC does not work at all. Zoom Player works, but is pretty lovely. MPC apparently works, but you might have to fiddle with codecs and stuff first.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tendales posted:

It is kind of annoying getting a video player that works properly with avisynth. Virtualdub works well. VLC does not work at all. Zoom Player works, but is pretty lovely. MPC apparently works, but you might have to fiddle with codecs and stuff first.

Make sure you use the x86 version, and not the x64 one, since that won't read .avs scripts. Unless you're using some pretty demanding processes, you'll probably be able to watch it in real-time, although with some audio desync. It can also help to add a line to the script downscaling the video at the start, so the preview ends up being rendered more quickly.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

That loving Sned posted:

Make sure you use the x86 version, and not the x64 one, since that won't read .avs scripts. Unless you're using some pretty demanding processes, you'll probably be able to watch it in real-time, although with some audio desync. It can also help to add a line to the script downscaling the video at the start, so the preview ends up being rendered more quickly.

Um…isn't that not at all how Avisynth works? The whole point is that it's a frameserver and it doesn't render anything until you throw it at MeGUI, I could've sworn.

Tendales posted:

It is kind of annoying getting a video player that works properly with avisynth. Virtualdub works well.

So what's the problem, then? I don't understand.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

frozentreasure posted:

Um…isn't that not at all how Avisynth works? The whole point is that it's a frameserver and it doesn't render anything until you throw it at MeGUI, I could've sworn.

It renders when you throw it at ANYTHING, whether that's MeGUI for the final render or a preview program like VDub. Filters like Reverse and ChangeSpeed run very slowly in preview, but it's entirely possible that some filters would operate more quickly on smaller frames. Then again, the reduction of frame size itself takes some time, so you might not be gaining anything. I'm just in the habit of rendering a test AVI in VDub if I need to preview anything other than simple trims.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Is AvsPMod not an option? Sure, it doesn't play audio natively, but it lets you edit your script and see the results in realtime.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

So, I'm having a bit of issue with the OCR ImageMagick script, specifically the Windows batch version that I *think* was posted by Admiral Curtiss. I swear it used to work fine, but now when I run it after about four images it hits Maximum setlocal recursion level reached errors and ends up writing the buildtext variable to the file instead of the OCR results.

Batch: http://pastebin.com/9rgciQBp
Example output: http://pastebin.com/mGjPMfZW

Any ideas why this is happening?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not my script, but that issue is related to the "setlocal" command operating as a stack that the script never pops. See if this fixes it: http://pastebin.com/ChsQGQnN

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Don't know why I thought it was yours, then, my bad!

That revision makes all the output "~1,-1", but it does indeed prevent the recursion.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I see the problem but I have no idea how to fix it, because apparently there's no way to switch the delayed expansion state without creating a new scope. Batch scripts are horrible.

Try this but be aware that it could fail horribly when the OCR tool parses anything as having a word enclosed in exclamation points: http://pastebin.com/bwk0hWFC

Alternatively, use the original script and figure out how to set the recursion maximum to something higher than 32, that's puny for today's RAM.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

That version seems to be working alright enough for the moment, but I see what you mean. If it starts acting up I might just boot a Linux VM and use the original bash script or something. I wish I could pinpoint why it was working fine a few months ago, but I can't think of what's changed. Oh well. Thanks for your help, it's been much appreciated.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Hey there. I wrote that kurmudgeon of a batch script. The problem is that I don't know why it doesn't work because batch scripts are crazy. The most I know was that it was working on a windows 7 machine and that the EnabledDelayExpansion doesn't seem to work in all environments. I'm sorry. :(

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

So what's the problem, then? I don't understand.

Not everyone can/wants to use virtualdub. I was just trying to list off which programs do and don't work with avisynth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

EntranceJew posted:

Hey there. I wrote that kurmudgeon of a batch script. The problem is that I don't know why it doesn't work because batch scripts are crazy. The most I know was that it was working on a windows 7 machine and that the EnabledDelayExpansion doesn't seem to work in all environments. I'm sorry. :(

Nah, don't be sorry! It's still hella handy as is. I used to write some terrible batches for work, but I never had the joy of experiencing EnabledDelayExpansion. So, regardless, thanks!

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Tendales posted:

Not everyone can/wants to use virtualdub. I was just trying to list off which programs do and don't work with avisynth.

Wait, wait. I'm not trying to be a dick here, but, outside of not using windows, what reason could someone not be able to use VirtualDub? And "not wanting" to use it isn't a valid reason to list off worse alternatives.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Tendales posted:

VLC is a special child with its own set of codecs and it refuses to play with anything not bundled.

Zoom Player is the fisher price of media players. Next you're going to try to sell me on winamp or something.

MPC(-HomeCinema) works flawlessly. And it's a good player if you couple it with ffdshow-tryouts. In the media player wars, this is the coalition of America and China, who put aside their differences, if only temporarily, to defeat Europe (VLC) once and for all. The war hasn't broken out yet, but I'm confident we'll see it in my lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I use MPC for everything (it's pretty great), but I can't get it to work with avisynth for whatever reason. It just spits out a generic message and refuses to play any avs files. WMP and VirtualDub work though... for most videos. For some reason, certain source formats make videos unplayable in either, though MeGUI will encode those videos fine, so I don't know.