Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
OK I have 10 Shadowplay part files I want to spit out into one stupidly long clip - I know it has problems with variable fps so how do I do this properly?

I don't even want to edit, really, just bring in the video and audio from each one in order and join them all into one thing, then output a final smaller than 35 gigabytes.

right now I've got this:
code:
LoadPlugin("c:\path\to\ffms2.dll")
Import("ffms2.avsi")
clip0=ffmpegsource2("part0.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=60)
[...]
clip9=ffmpegsource2("part9.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=60)

finalclip = clip0+clip1+clip2+ [...] +clip9

return finalclip
Can someone tell me if I'm missing something obvious before I set my computer to suffer on this overnight? I'm not really that good at merging multiple clips together, I usually miss something, so I'd like to get this right first instead of my typical fumble-around-and-hope-it-works approach.

More specifically, I'm almost certainly not calling the audio properly, but I don't know exactly how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I was letting it generate index files while I wrote it up and didn't mean to hit post just yet :shobon:

but, yes. MPC-HC played video, but no audio. Added the atrack and vtrack lines and the audio still didn't play. Maybe I did that wrong, but I had this:
code:
clip0=FFmpegSource2("part0.mp4", threads=1, vtrack = -1, atrack = -2, fpsnum=60)
etc.

I'm wondering if it's all the splices not splicing audio as well as video?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Niggurath posted:

Well from a quick look at the manual for ffmegsource:

So you might want to track atrack = -1 instead of -2? But you could also try to see if even a single mp4 will work first before adding in all the other lines, just to make sure that initial line works.

aha. Yes, that's the trick. atrack = -1 works perfectly. Thanks! I must've missed that in looking at the same manual - the example has it as -2 and reading is hard I guess!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If you have to do this, I'd suggest composite to component. Analog to analog is easier than analog to digital.

I know some capture card companies actually sell composite adapters - the Elgato Gamecapture HD has one, for example.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mico posted:

Then you're limited to 480i and everything will look like boiled rear end

the source is composite, so that's a given. It's gonna take a lot of post-processing no matter what when that's step #1 in the process.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah that's about right. Then you edit and produce a version to upload at a lower bitrate, but for raws that seems right.

I mean it's possible you can tweak the quality settings down, but you don't want to do that too much or your originals will be bad and the encoded edited version will be worse. I think there's a straight quality slider (determined as capture bitrate) in the GCHD software.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

http://blog.obelisk.ro/2010/09/resolution-fix-for-red-alert-2-yuris.html

This might help you fix the resolution issue.

and this might help fix the best mission in the game: http://forums.revora.net/topic/83325-hollywood-vain-original-voices-help/

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

DOSBox has built-in video recording capabilities. I don't remember having problems with it when I did some Dosbox test captures three years ago. I doubt it's changed much.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Recording_Video

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Putty posted:

Hello again it's me I have found the solution to this. All you have to do is have Elgato fullscreen, then hover your mouse over the preview window and not move it, which eventually causes it to expand to the full view. Videogames.

I think you can double-click the preview window too? I agree the mousehover solution is kind of goofy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xenoveritas posted:

Anyone ever encounter audio desync when using a ShadowPlay recording and FFMpegSource?

oh, have I ever. I'll give that a shot next time I run into it (i.e. next time I run shadowplay for more than a 2 minute clip) - thanks!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have a video encoded in 5:4 where I want the display aspect ratio to be 16:9 - is there an easy way to force DAR without re-encoding the entire thing? Just straight Shadowplay output here. As long as the end result is Youtube showing a proper 16:9, I'm fine with it.

If this sounds dumb as poo poo, it is - Shadowplay apparently doesn't respect the res hack I'm using on an old game to get 16:9 support. I guess alternate option: somehow make Shadowplay realize that I'm running in 1920x1080 and not 1280x1024 or whatever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hey, those worked great.

I don't really want to think about what's going on behind the scenes here, because:
  • game resolution is 1920x1080, 16:9
  • original Shadowplay video is 1280x1024, 5:4
  • Youtube offers a 1080p/60 video option, which is nice, except:
  • Youtube's download MP4 button gives me a 1066x720, "not quite 3:2" video, which is also nowhere near 1080p

when I play the game everything looks fine and that's what matters, but this whole situation is mindboggling. Third party res hacks of 2005-era gaming, everyone!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xenoveritas posted:

Technically true, but for the most part, there's no reason to generate VFR video as your final output, so you might as well just normalize the framerate (something FFMS2 does too) and not deal with VFR.

so how does ffms2 do this, is it automatic? I've got nine Shadowplay clips I want to take clips from and then chain it all together and I'm sure they all have different framerates. I'd love an easy way to just do my trims and call it a day rather than run everything through Handbrake before cutting.

Last time I did this it was some nightmarish making multiple different avs files (one per source file) and calling each avs in a master file and there was a lot of ChangeFPS(30) which ... well, it technically "worked" but it wasn't pretty.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That easy? Huh. I wonder if I was doing something stupid with an old version of avisynth/ffms2 ... this was a while ago. I updated recently and just tried that out and it works fine, so, great. Thanks!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Quick resizing question:

I have 1080p Shadowplay footage I'm reducing to half-size (960x540) for making gif videos. In Avisynth, what's the best resize method to use? I used BicubicResize because that's what the avisynth wiki suggested, though in a different paragraph it suggested BilinearResize so :shrug:

I'm not even sure it matters because I'm going from lossy source to lossy smaller to gfycat bashing it yet again, so fine details aren't at stake but what the hell. Might as well try to do it right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

zolthorg posted:

Why are you shrinking it from 1080p if its going to gfycat anyhow?

to embed on SA without obliterating tables, mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I come into this thread and don't even have to ask my question of "how do I fix Shadowplay's audio nonsense on one of my clips" :allears:

At least for me, this worked great. I'm combining 16 clips, most of them work fine, some throw an audio error, and this fixes those right up. Thanks!