Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

McAlister posted:

And that doesn't matter because insurance companies don't have the information you think they have and mr green isn't allowed to look at the information they do have. He'd go to jail if he did. So he effectively doesn't have it.

HIPAA seriously restricts data access, yeah. I would suspect they have the plan administration firewalled off somewhere inside HR - at my company my manager simply has no access to any of my benefits data, for example. We had someone go off on disability for what we thought might have been mental health issues; my manager candidly admitted that not only could she not discuss the issue, she literally did not know any salient details as it was all handled by HR. Some digging would probably turn up Hobby Lobby's corporate data privacy standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Oracle posted:

It doesn't hurt that both nursing and teaching are both female-dominated professions and therefore treated with less respect because of it.

I am always amazed how US teachers don't have strong unions. The Ontario Teachers' Pension Fund is massive. New teachers make $45,709 to $55,404, rising to between $76,021 and $94,707 for a teacher with 10+ years service.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Hasters posted:

Personally I've never understood why SCOTUS isn't covered by CSPAN, they're public servants doing a job for the public and we should get to watch while they're on the clock.

They don't want it and you can't make them do it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kalman posted:

And Pre-Check/Global Entry.

NEXUS :911: :hf: :canada:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

citybeatnik posted:

Obamacare and THEN banning gay marriage.

Balanced budget second

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

euphronius posted:

The majority leader and judiciary committee said yesterday - the judiciary committee in writing - that there would be no hearings no interviews no nothing

That is the unprecedented and unconstitutional act to which we are reacting .

I should also say it's anti democratic as well.

It's all stagecraft right now. You people screaming about this need to get some of Carson's benzos and chill the gently caress out, you crybabies.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ron Jeremy posted:

If I remember the Grapes of Wrath, starving pigs is a very bad idea.

Unless you're Bricktop.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ogmius815 posted:

My dream is that someone who knows more than me will make a great OP at the beginning of the new SCOTUS term.

What is needed is you to write a new OP, with the next post being a vitriolic dissent to it by Scalia.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Chuu posted:

I think he just stuck his foot in his mouth while trying to split hairs, since everyone on that phone call was smart enough to know that was literally the worst possible answer to that question. He immedietly walks it backs in the next sentence, which I wish I could find a transcript for.

If I recall the moment he tried to move the burden of Presidential Infallibility, I mean non-reviewability onto the actual determination of risk - it's the President's call if Countries X, Y and Z pose a national security threat to the United States. Which leads me to ask 'so we're not allowed to look at bad faith?'

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

I think they should get Cory Booker to introduce him.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Grapplejack posted:

If they do get Trump you're looking at President Pence in a scandal ridden office with a fractured party apparatus and zero faculty, since all of Trump's choices will loving leave as soon as he goes down (bar a few of the cabinet picks who won't leave). He will have no mandate. I'm curious who he would get stuck with as a VP. Probably one of the big Dems to counter his positions.

How would a Democrat get confirmed by the Senate for VP? Pence would pick some squeaky clean type GOP governor or something. Given the odds Pence would lose the 2020 election , whomever he picked would likely be a frontrunner in 2024 for GOP Presidential nominee.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

twodot posted:

Again, why is holding a vote and voting down based on partisan reasoning better than bottling him up in committee based on partisan reasoning? I understand the argument that politicizing the Court is bad, but not that politicizing the Court in Senate committees is bad, but not that politicizing the Court in full Senate votes is good.

Because some GOP senators would probably have voted for Garland. It's 60 to get cloture but only 50 (+ Biden) to confirm.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I won't criticize the GOP for nuking the SCOTUS filibuster since Reid nuked it for every other nomination. Sitting on Garland was a dick move but it paid off.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Can't be an employee of two branches at once, no?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
De minimis non curat lex

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

not true, i've been probated for insanely dumb things in the trump thread before.

Stop doing insanely dumb things then.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Most of us with high loan loads just assume we'll never pay them off and hope pslf sticks around. If it doesn't then I have no clue what I will do.

Engineering tuition $2k a year. Got $3k in loans and $3k in grants. Bought a stereo.

M.Sc. $1k a year, guaranteed funding starting at $14k p.a. Department paid the delta for foreign students for tuition.

loving salad days.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

No I'm still going to blame the judge who ruled stealing is legal if you're a cop

Did they misapply the law?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Part of me gets a kick reading an opinion when after two lines I go, "Gorsuch. Definitely Gorsuch". He's just so.... chatty.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Uh actually I don't think it was? There's a few threads on /r/askhistorians that dispute this heavily.

They bought every Jew a one-way train ticket to Poland, after negotiating prices with the Reichsbahn, with lots of squabbling about costs. Can't go on train without a ticket!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Paul MaudDib posted:

a well-endowed citizen should be able to buy an antiaircraft battery/etc.

Let me show you my crew-served weapon

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Louisiana abortion law "struck down" says wapo headline

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Could we avoid the utterly idiotic "nothing matters lol" posts in this thread, possibly?

Like seriously skipping over Kagan and Sotomayor to claim Obama would appoint terrible judges. Unreal.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

nerve posted:

Didn't Obama nominate the gops pick for Scalia

That was the plot of a West Wing episode where Glenn Close becomes Chief Justice.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Sydin posted:

centrist bluedog

Please define “centrist bluedog” for those who may think it an oxymoron.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

galenanorth posted:

If you've never heard of the Blue Dog Democrats...

I asked the op to define “centrist bluedog”, precisely because it’s an oxymoron.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ah, so when exactly did Senator Feinstein become a member of that group of House Democrats?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

fool of sound posted:

Don't just switch topics and pretend you weren't just dead wrong about something that takes 10 seconds to google.

Maybe take longer than 10 seconds next time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Democrat

"In addition to the New Democrat Coalition, which represents the moderate wing, the Blue Dog Coalition represents conservative Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives."

Or, using the article https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Dog_Coalition to answer questions like '
How were the Blue Dogs seen when they had power in the Clinton era?'

"In the early years of the caucus, the Blue Dogs were viewed by some as the political successors to a Southern Democratic group known as the Boll Weevils.[37][38] The Boll Weevils may, in turn, be considered the descendants of the Dixiecrats and the "states' rights" Democrats of the 1940s through the 1960s, and even the Bourbon Democrats of the late 19th century."

Or the list of former Blue Dogs who jumped ship to the GOP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Blue_Dog_Coalition

In short, for most of it's existence, the term "Blue Dog" meant a *conservative* Democrat.

Now the current group is different, but again, considering the current group apparently " professes an independence from the leadership of both parties" (wikipedia again). I'm not quite sure this would really describe Feinstein, who in any event is ineligible as a Senator.

Seriously, from 1995 to today, calling someone a bluedog didn't mean "centrist". Again, Wikipedia:

"The Blue Dog Coalition was formed in 1995[9][10][11] during the 104th Congress to give members from the Democratic Party representing conservative-leaning districts a unified voice after the Democrats’ loss of Congress in the 1994 Republican Revolution.[12]"

But yeah, sure, ignore the origin and history of the term so it only means centrist now, okay.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Take the L, friend.

Quite obvious neither of you considered the usual meaning of the term, as used since the group formed in the 1990s. Providing evidence was indeed a waste of time.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 16, 2020

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Sydin posted:

I don't know why this is so loving funny to me but it is.

It's his calling card.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The only thing that could make this better if it specified how many gallons of evaporated water there was

"approximately 21,000 acre-feet evaporated"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
If the only remedy sought was to force Trump to stop violating the Emoluments Clause, well, he has, I guess. The Court cannot now grant the relief sought, which does render the case moot, doesn't it?

I will try and find the decision later.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Legal Eagle has posted a video pointing our the pardons to Bannon and others of recent vintage are rather narrow in scope, and leaves the possibility of charging them with other offenses, as the pardons were apparently only covering the specific charges filed?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Personally i see them both being guillotined for being useless liberals but you do you, my person

The only moral executions are my executions.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just lmao at everyone who thinks Manchin and/or Sinema wouldn't just outright refuse to let a Biden SCOTUS nominee get a hearing months before midterms.

This is just delusional. There is zero evidence that either of them would block a nomination.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

yeah this tracks, Republicans punish any deviation from orthodoxy, Dems will grovel before you if you sound smart and use nice words while you're overturning the voting rights act

So you can obviously provide quotes of Democratic politicians grovelling before Roberts, then.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Harold Fjord posted:

What's this have to do with that survey?

I dunno, that's why I'm asking for "grovelling" evidence .

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

"grovelling" was a colorful turn of phrase to describe Democrats in that survey approving of the guy loving over voting rights and killing their party's electoral prospects

So can you link the crosstabs on those questions specifically addressing your now repeated claims Democratic voters approve of Robert's VRA decisions please? Or is this just more "colorful turn of phrase"?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

jeeves posted:

w/r/t the +23 on Roberts: most Democrats are not liberals.

How do you get that from the crosstabs on that question? The numbers don't really seem to support you.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Harold Fjord posted:

Do you have some alternative figures or are you JAQing us around?

You could go look at the crosstabs yourself if you know how? They're linked above. He's the one making the claim, let him provide the evidence.