Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kalman posted:

CREW is a Democratic organization in the same sense that the ACLU is - the people who work there are mostly Dems because they believe in ethical behavior in government, but they don’t care who they go after if they’re loving up.

I mean, right now, any given political organization is either Democratic in that sense, or they aren't democratic in the other sense (e.g., Project Veritas; anything assisting Trump in any way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

Oh the watchdog group can, I'm cool with that. But do we need to keep up the kayfabe on this dead internet forum? Or can we jsut call a spade a spade?

In a sense it is important that we don't, that is, we should very carefully specify which groups support small d democracy and which do not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

god this blows posted:

This shows up in my news feed https://www.thenation.com/article/society/clarence-thomas-supreme-court-gifts-felony/

I’m guessing it is yet another thing that won’t matter but curious to other people’s thoughts.

I mean nothing in that article is wrong. It is just operating from the assumption that the American legal system's kayfabe is American actuality, which is a false axiom.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 12, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

I'm not insinuating anything though, I'm suggesting that we engage with reality.

CREW doesn't investigate both parties equally and find more Republicans. They investigate Republicans substantially more and the handful of attacks they lob at democrats are low hanging fruit (they go after a democrat who is already in hot water and likely to leave office) or ideological (guys like Manchin who lean right).

Republicans do a lot more evil poo poo. Like, any given legal activism group of any stripe, if run by the sane and moral, *should* be filing a shitload of actions against Republicans, because the current Republican party is actively opposed to the rule of law. See: Donald Trump, Clarence Thomas.

quote:

So you think it is important that we simply lie about motives in order to win points?

My whole argument here stems from someone saying 'The Republicans sued Trump in Colorado'. The reality is that the entire thing was funded and organized by CREW. .. . They draped a half dozen Republicans around their lawsuit like it was Ed Gein, but that doesn't make it a republican suit.

No, not what I said even remotely.

Fact is the current Republican Party does not support small d democracy any more while the current Democratic Party still does. This is a (comparatively) recent shift so it would make sense that it wasn't that hard to find a fair number of people who used to vote Republican or were Republican Party officeholders who no longer support the modern Republican Party because they aren't explicit brazen unapologetic fascists. It's both technically and substantively true that the CREW lawsuit in this instance was filed on behalf of [a faction of the former] Republican Party plaintiffs.

Past that, no, my point was that the Democrats should not run from being the party of small-d democracy. They should proudly say "If you support democracy, this go-round, vote Democrat" and be a big tent party with room for disaffected (former) Republicans.

We're talking about a repolarization where terms and alliances have been shifting in meaning so stuff's going to get a bit muddled. The (modern) republican party is all-fascist and anti-democratic; being a "democratic organization" is nothing to be ashamed of in that environment; there's no reason to pretend to neutrality between democracy and fascism and in fact it would be shameful to do so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

hobbesmaster posted:

The constitution plus prior interpretation of “civil officers” seems pretty clear about how you’re supposed to accuse and remove a justice for bribery. Testing the practical bounds of judicial immunity through a different process would seem ill advised?

Criminal prosecution and impeachment are distinct and parallel processes. Thomas would continue to remain a SC justice until removed via impeachment or death, regardless of Criminal conviction.

This isn't new, federal judges have been charged and convicted before. Judicial immunity has nothing to do with this because it isn't a conviction about his judicial actions because failing to report bribes is not a judicial action.

https://www.senate.gov/about/powers-procedures/impeachment/impeachment-claiborne.htm

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 13, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

I have no earthly idea why you'd say the first part fo this and then go on to repeat an absolute lie . . .

To be very specific Here is one of the plaintiffs openly stating that she was recruited by CREW to file the suit. This wasn't a bunch of Republicans deciding to file a suit against Trump and CREW helping them, it is a liberal judicial activist group filing a suit against Trump (as they did with Greene and Cawthorne elsewhere without Republicans helping them) and getting a few Republicans to sign on for procedural reasons.
. . .

Edit: ultimately what pisses me off about this is that I've often trusted SA to give fairly good and honest takes on poo poo. If you want to say this dumb poo poo on twitter to trick some fence sitter I think that is dumb and counterproductive. But everyone here already agrees trump is bad. Do we really need to build shibboleths and lie to one another to make the echo chamber that much stronger?

I'm not lying at all, not even remotely. What I am doing is pointing out that there are two applicable and valid definitions of "republican" here. If we define "Republican" as "person who has historically been an elected Republican party official," which is an entirely valid definition of "Republican," then it is literally and specifically, not just technically but legally and substantively, true that a Republican was a plaintiff in this case. Sure, she was recruited; that's irrelevant. She's a republican, she's a plaintiff. That's what "filed by" means, legally speaking.. You're acting like this is some weird gotcha but it's literally and substantively true. It would be inaccurate to claim otherwise. In a real and legally binding sense she is the plaintiff and she filed the case and CREW is her agent and attorney and has legally binding ethical duties to her as their client. That all remains true even when she is recruited as a client by the firm!

Now, sure, if you want to argue she isn't a republican any more given the current nature of the modern Republican party -- ok, but that's precisely what the fight is about. The case is about the Republican primary ballot. It's precisely over who gets to be a candidate for the Republican ballot and who doesn't. If plaintiffs weren't Republicans (in some sense, current or former) they would not have standing to file the case. This stuff matters, and courts care about it, it isn't just kayfabe for rubes in online discussion forums.

Maybe rather than assume I'm deliberately or maliciously lying for some bizarre reason, take a deep breath and ask yourself if I might have a reason for making these points. Again, this stuff matters and is important. Plaintiff selection is hugely important in a number of different ways. It is not dishonest to call it "her" case or to refer to the plaintiff as filing the case, it is substantively important and it would be inaccurate to claim otherwise.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 13, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

With respect, this is pedantic bullshit. I can't tell if you're intentionally missing my point or just trying to be aggrivating.

The original argument was:

'this wasn't brought forward by Democrats, but you know this'

Not what I said. What I said was

quote:

It's both technically and substantively true that the CREW lawsuit in this instance was filed on behalf of [a faction of the former] Republican Party plaintiffs.

"brought forward" is not what I said. What I said was "Filed on behalf of". One of those phrases has legal meaning, the other doesn't.

It isn't pedantry, it's the law. For example, if the Republican plaintiffs all told CREW they wanted the case dismissed, or wanted to accept Trump's offer to resolve the case, CREW would be ethically bound to accept.

I feel like I'm trying to explain how math works to someone angrily pounding a calculator with a rock.

quote:

CREW filed similar lawsuits elsewhere, forum shopped for just the right jurisdiction and then hunted down plantiffs to give them standing. This is CREW's lawsuit. To suggest 'it wasn't brought forward by Democrats' because of the repugnant fig leaf that 'well acktuallly we had to get some Republicans to sign on' is patently dishonest. You would never accept that sort of bullshit line from the right when some anti abortion org hunts down the perfect plaintiff to make their bullshit suit, don't try that poo poo now.

Sure, CREW is a largely left-wing organization. That's irrelevant, legally speaking, to the specific plaintiffs in this specific case, who are Republicans.

To the extent CREW is a left wing organization -- ok sure whatever yes absolutely that's great, shout it to the heavens, they should all wear rainbow pride flag suits in the courtroom, fuckin' great. They're all gay muslim Obama. Doesn't matter, legally speaking. Legally speaking as relevant to the case, they're just the lawyers. Lawyers don't have standing, plaintiffs do. The plaintiff is who matters.

If this case were organized by Theodore Olsen and the entire Federalist Society and filed on behalf of Bill Clinton . . it would be thrown out and dismissed, because Bill CLinton wouldn't have standing in a dispute over the Colorado Republican Primary.

I'm not talking about optics or presentation, I'm talking about the actual case. As far as optics or presentation goes, who gives a poo poo? Either you're left wing and fuckin' great, CREW is also left wing, great, or you aren't and gently caress you you're a fascist. The optics or presentation isn't even worth discussing, there's nothing to discuss with fascists, anyone who cares that CREW is left-wing can go take hydroxychloroquine about it. The only thing that's worth actually talking about is the legal realities of the case, which is what I was doing. And legally speaking, the Trump immunity case was filed by Republican plaintiffs. Who their lawyers are isn't (legally) relevant to the case. Lawyers don't have standing, plaintiffs do.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 13, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

Holy christ you are insufferable.

The Original post I was replying to did say that! Specifically:

This is the post I was referring to, which is why I called it the original argument.
Do you understand now?

Then why are you trying to argue with me and quoting my posts and calling me a liar . . . . about something some other dude said? I'm not that other dude, don't mix my poo poo up with his.

As above, I don't think there's any practical universe in which what you term the "semantic front" matters. Either you're talking to left wingers and nobody cares or should care that CREW is left wing . . . or you're talking to right wingers and why are you wasting time talking to right wingers, they're fascists. If they're upset that CREW is left wing they can go take hydroxychloroquine about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

. . .

Yeah, it's all against Republicans, but these are all real issues, most of them against figures who are well-known to be dirty as hell with ethics failings out the wazoo. Trump, Santos, Thomas, Scott...all of these are people who have done plenty to earn ethics investigations! . . .

That is why Judicial Watch is seen as more partisan than CREW is. Because CREW pursues what ethics lawyers consider to be ethics violations and corruption, while Judicial Watch pursues what right-wing MAGA Twitter provocateurs consider to be ethics violations and corruption.

More importantly, being a left wing partisan is cool and good and nothing to be ashamed of. Being a left wing partisan is great. Everybody should be doing it. Let's reject the premise that being a left wing partisan is bad, because that is a false premise. If someone complains that CREW is just left wing partisans, the appropriate response isn't "oh no!" it's "gently caress yes!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

you appear to have meant we 'don't keep kayfabe'.

Right, to the extent such discussions matter, we can acknowledge CREW is a left wing organization, there's no particular reason not to. But given the reality of modern American politics calling something "left wing organization" just means we're acknowledging they aren't a fascist organization, so. . just a normal organization?

For discussions among other left-wingers then that seems like a redundant discussion, and for discussions with right wingers . . .there's nothing to discuss any more, anyone still voting republican at this point is too far gone around the q-anon bend to be worth having that kind of discussion with. (Maybe an intervention, but not a nuanced debate about relative bias). So the only part of this that seems worth discussing at all in any depth is the legal realities of the case, so that was what I was focusing on and thinking about (especially since this is the SCOTUS thread) and it didn't really occur to me that there was anything else to talk about on the subject.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think the stronger case would just be that Koch money basically funds the Federalist Society anyway.

More to the point, there's little reason for a Supreme Court Justice to *stay* bought. They are functionally not impeachable in the current environment.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 15, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Potato Salad posted:

I have another post that is more topic centric than the prior appeal for some more good faith.

Where are the wildly partisan left of center judges? Where's the courts and juries letting the lefty version of Kyle Rittenhouse or Lefty J6 Rioters off the hook?

My rhetorical point here is that it largely doesn't exist.

It's hard to have a leftist judge because the legal system is an authoritarian right wing system. It's like asking why there aren't many atheist priests.

A leftist who was a criminal judge would very likely either quit being a judge, quit being a leftist, or go insane from moral injury.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

Carney appears to think that the 9th's order is moot. He threw out all charges, so as far as his court is concerned there are no charges pending against Rundo. The order from the 9th didn't overturn this, it just demanded Rundo be put back in custody. I actually rather curious on the law here because I'm not sure the grounds they have for holding him. They've obviously going to appeal the judge's decision to toss the whole case, but they haven't done that yet, so we are in a weird position where he is back in custody with no active charges and no appeal of those charges.

It is a really messy situation

Yeah actually Carney's right there. You can't hold people without active charges. If I were the defense attorney I'd be making GBS threads bricks. If nothing else, make them file that appeal ASAP.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

It is worth noting that these issues typically are decided before jeopardy attaches for that exact reason.

If Cannon dismisses before the trial starts they can appeal. If she refuses to rule they will likely go to the 11th to try to nip this in the bud, be it by trying tk have her removed etc.

By statute this is correct, but I could see a novel 'are you loving kidding me' appeal getting some level of traction regardless if she went that far beyond the pale.

No such appeal would work but Cannon doesn't have the balls for such a play anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Big Slammu posted:

So, no trial until after election, awesome job, way to go Supreme Court.

More likely trial in October.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

Is it funnier if they drop the verdict on election day? Or the day after.

I suppose it depends on who wins.

Ideally the jury is sequestered while the recount is happening.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will be amazed if this trial happens before the election.

I'm just betting on the most hilarious outcome at this point. Trial and conviction in October, sentencing delayed until December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I mean, it's a bad decision because it leads to a bad result.