Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

MrNemo posted:

Why the gently caress isn't Kavanaugh's opinion 'i don't think the original intent of this statute was to protect homosexuals or trans people but the plain meaning of the text covers that. This court should not engage in law making and it is up to Congress to amend the language of the law of this isn't what they want.'

Like, I get that he's just a regressive dick but shouldn't the natural position of textualists be that the intent of lawmakers is immaterial and it's Congress' job to fix poorly written laws?

Because they don't give a poo poo about actually being textualist. It's just a cover to implement right wing policy under the auspices of neutral text reading. They toss it aside if the text doesn't support them, see the INA, the Constitution and the Trump Muslim ban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Is there nothing that rampant American militarism can't be used for? :allears:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

From what clerks have said it's a bit of both. The justices have a discussion together and vote what they think. If there is a clear majority, then they go ahead and pick the author. If there is a controversy, then the sides write basic briefs to pass around and try to make a majority up until the decision is officially released to the public.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Best thing would be to expand the number of seats on SCOTUS and trial courts over time so that each individual judge doesn't make things super swingy when they retire/die. That would help depoliticize the judiciary a bit.

For example: add two seats in 2022, 2 in 2026, 2 in 2030 and 2 in 2034. Each president is guaranteed at least 2 seats that on midterm years so there is less for Republicans to bitch about, but it fixes the current court quickly as two seats filled by Biden would revert the court back to where it should be.

That or the idea that appeals court judges take rotating turns sitting as extra associate judges so ideologues like Scalito and Beeranaugh can't push through bullshit opinions

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Social conservatives are extremely mad at the Roberts court because they thought they had their dream team for undoing the last 100 years assembled.

The funny (read : not at all funny) part is that they actually do. Roberts is just smart enough not to force through things all at once without "balls and strikes" PR. He always puts things into his opinions that he can use a few years later to finally overturn things he doesn't like so that he can claim to just be following precedent.

He would have done much more to advance Trump policies, too, if Trump's Administration wasn't so absolutely bug gently caress stupid. If they had even a fig leaf of normality as cover, Roberts would have ok'd stuff like the census case.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Gerund posted:

This thread specifically should let the future of Trump getting a second term as counting mail-in-votes are denied under a 5-4 decision that cites BUSH v GORE (2000) into its heart

:smithicide: We all know it's coming

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

RBG not retiring under Obama is going to undo literally everything that RBG got accomplished as a lawyer, judge and justice

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

538 has a pretty decent chance that the Dems get at least 50 seats, even up to 54. Even with 50, Harris could tie-break when needed.

Of course, that was before RBG died and the uncoming rush of chuds wanting another seat so :shrug:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Kalman posted:

Georgia and Mississippi are both in this category, at a minimum.

Right. Without gerrymandering Atlanta would turn Georgia from red to slightly red. Stacey abrams would have won in 2018 without the blatant election fraud and suppression going on by Kemp, for instance

North Carolina is also in a similar boat; without voter suppression and gerrymandering it would be much farther along the path to blueness that Virginia took in the 2000s

Slaan fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 22, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Luckily, with Gorsuch it actually might start doing so. Like the one silver lining of this court

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yep

And also you aren't a REAL MURICAN if your parents didn't have a foot on ARE BLESSED SOIL for at least 5 years as a teenager

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Her work ethic was nothing short of superhuman. She came to court a day after her husband passed away. She went to work wearing a fanny pack containing her chemo gear. The woman was a badass through and through and she never gave up, so yes. I would say it worked out great for her legacy.

Her legacy is about 3 weeks away from getting completely erased by a 6-3 court that even a Dem Senate won't fix because of shitheads like Feinstein and Manchin

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

5-4 is cool and good and everyone should listen

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Warnock is good and everyone hates Loeffler. It's a possible win.

Ossof is a hugely uncharismatic dope though. I think Perdue will win

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Corporations are people except when they own people, oohrah America :patriot:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Nah, Neal Katyal is exactly the kind of self important lawyer that thinks it doesn't matter if your client is the evilest motherfucker on the planet so long as he can argue in front of a prestigious court and get paid.

There are real reasons to take on lovely/evil clients (innocent until proven guilty etc), but he just wants to act like king poo poo of the lawyer pile

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

There isn't one yet. They only heard oral arguments from the lawyers. The decision comes later

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ICE is notorious for arresting and deporting U.S citizens, though. Their data is suspect when it comes to citizenship

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

"The right to vote isn't explicitly listed in the Constitution by the Founders, therefore you don't have a right to vote" is a position that right wingers have argued with total sincerity.

They don't even care if it is explicit text in the Constitution. They'll interpret blatantly around stuff they don't like. See: 2nd, 8th, 14th amendments, etc

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Countdown to "the bullets that hit you in the spine, neck and head were a lawful seizure/arrest, and therefore you were resisting arrest by randomly getting shot while walking down the street" in 5...4...3...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Dameius posted:

When you left the scene of the shooting by ambulance with the police bullet still in you that constituted theft of government property.

:hmmyes: makes perfect sense

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Judges are often stupid as poo poo

ftfy

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

They can refuse to run the ad if it violates their guidelines

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Between stewart's bad pizza opinion and his absolutely terrible, unfunny new twitter account I have lost all love for the man. :(

At least he hasn't fallen as far as Stephen Colbert though

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Piell posted:

Christians have the god-given right to spread dangerous diseases, goddamnit, how dare you oppress them

It really is a death cult at this point

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

hey can we have less generic ranting about conservatives, and more talk about the actual contents and direct impact of judicial rulings

I'm seeing remarkably little discussion of the actual legal arguments in the ruling everyone's mad about

One of the problems is that the court doesn't have actual legal arguments. There is no way to reconcile Hawaii v Trump and Masterpiece Cakeshop, for instance, based on the stated rationales. The actual, undeniable reason for those is Christian good, Muslim bad. Its all just window dressing for whatever the preferred conservative policy position is.

Plus, half the "judgements" out there right now are literally 5-4 or 6-3 shadow docket cases without any reasoning at all

Slaan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 12, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, Kagan is correct.

The more interesting thing is the way this decision treats mootness vs how it was treated in the other recent case. It really is boiling down quite starky to "a case is moot if don't want rule on it, and is not moot if we do."

That's like every case that gets ruled mute at the appellate+ level. Not exactly a new thing

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

" gently caress you and gently caress that law."

This basis

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Casey is the controlling case but Roe is the milestone culturally so media just goes with that

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

No. They'd be overturning Roe and Casey at the same time or effectively doing so without saying it.

I'm expecting either "the state has a compelling interest in unborn life so outright bans are a state choice, Casey (and Roe) are overturned" or "Casey and Roe are still technically good law but viability is so early now and those evil evil women are choosing to terminate pregnancies for no reason so state regulations (unsaid: that effectively ban abortions for everyone) to ensure there is no discriminating against black, disabled, female, etc etc fetuses are going on. So feel free to make women do steps A-ZZ, verifying it's medically necessary and not just to discriminate, before week 18 to get an abortion. Oops, you didn't realize you were pregnant until week 17? Guess you're stuck with the baby then lol"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I love how immigrant party automatically gives a 9-0 gently caress you every* time

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

SCOTUS 2021: Zero days since Breyer said he won't retire

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lol it's sweet that you've constructed your own little expanded universe of RBG thoughts in order to justify attacking someone who served progressive causes their entire life as arrogant and selfish. The fact is that that there was vanishingly small amounts of time where the process of appointing her replacement could have taken place, and RBG managed to survive them up until the Democratic party lost to Donald Trump.

I think laying the fact that she was replaced by Trump as a lack of "strategic thinking" or "selfishness" is a lovely backwards looking rationalization. When exactly, in your beautiful mind, should she have stepped down?

When she had a Democratic President and Senate around 2008-2012 and she started having health issues

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Once again immigrants living in the US for decades with legal protection get shafted because the INA et al are stupid terrible hosed up unwieldy mess :toot:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The most vocal weed haters on the court died off

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Rezoning the property a mile down the street to allow for small apartments near the train station has lowered my property value by $0.005/sq. Foot. This is a taking!!!!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

TLM3101 posted:

I can't remember whether it was in this thread or one of the USPol variants, but someone tell me again how SCOTUS Justices aren't politicians in funny robes and jabots. I could use the laugh.

As a legal scholar, I can guarantee to you that justices are not politicians in robes and are actually very ideologically committed to neutral discuss---- HAHAHA ooh boy I tried but couldn't stick the landing

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Overturned in the shadow docket in five... Four... Three...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Roberts would join the liberals for the optics and his approval ratings would diverge another +10D -1,000R

This, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I deal with a lot of sovereign citizens at work too but I mainly find them hilarious and enjoy it. Of course, I'm also sitting behind a desk, anonymously, so it's easy to laugh it off compared to a court clerk right in front of them.