Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Warszawa posted:

I can't see any of the NFIB Four voting to uphold this mandate and I feel like Roberts is going to swing with them this time, that infinite fucker - I don't see him siding against the nebulous soundbyte of "religious freedom." Then again, my analysis may be clouded by my complete and utter hatred of him.

I wonder if Mormons will be able to fire racial minorities since our inferiority is part of their sincerely held religious belief, and us gays are super hosed even in the few states that have passed anti-discrimination laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Personally I've never understood why SCOTUS isn't covered by CSPAN, they're public servants doing a job for the public and we should get to watch while they're on the clock.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

Unanimously too. It may also have invalidated all software patents.

From the decision:

This looks to be the key to Alice: the claims "do not, for example, purport to improve the functioning of the computer itself or effect an improvement in any other technology or technical field. An instruction to apply the abstract idea ofintermediated settlement using some unspecified, generic computer is not “enough” to transform the abstract idea into a patent-eligible invention. Id., at ___. Pp. 14–16."

Assholes in the valley are clinching so hard they're biting through chairs.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Totally bullshit. It's a specious reading of the law that makes no sense given the statute as a whole, and you have to actually want ACA to fail in order to reach the conclusion that they did.

Yeah I wouldn't expect the ruling to survive en Banc or at SCOTUS.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

Because a mandatory drug test is a thing that happens when you are already at work. Here, the court ruled the security checkpoints are part of going to or leaving work.

Well there's the solution, just never leave work! :v:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've always thought this as well, at least because you can die in a way that spites your executioners as much as possible by looking them dead in the eye.

Nah they put a bag over your head specifically to prevent this. Also one of the rifles is loaded with blanks so the shooters can all believe they weren't the ones who actually killed you. Wouldn't want them to feel bad after all.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

hobbesmaster posted:

Microsoft has been through this dance once, a language better than Java was the result.

Yeah but Microsoft doesn't have ADD and can stay focused on one thing for more than week.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ActusRhesus posted:

Any time both Vital Signs and I are both telling you you are wrong, fair odds you're wrong.

Also, civil war was about more than just slavery, but still wrong and still treason.

Nope, it was just slavery.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

UberJew posted:

None, because that poo poo would not hold up against a 24th amendment challenge. They're just universally a pain in the rear end to get for free, in Kansas for example you need to go through a process to get a birth certificate before you can register and a second process to get a free ID so you had better remember to do it long enough before the election to get it done and have the free time to do it.

And there's no way to get a free both certificate in most states without the order of a judge or someone high up at the record keeping agency.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

rscott posted:

Can't we just give people massive doses of pure morphine or something? Or is Bayer gonna stop selling that to us too and we'll have to source heroin from afgani warlords to make sure we can kill people correctly.

Every major drug manufacturer to date has refused to allow any of their drugs to be used for killing prisoners, also the APhA and PCCA have said that if you get caught making or prescribing the drugs your membership might be revoked.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Anyone else see Rick Santorum on Rachel Maddow tonight? He just straight up says that the Supreme Court isn't the final adjudicator of a laws constitutionality and that the other branches are free to ignore their rulings and "pass whatever they want".

http://on.msnbc.com/1IjQI9d

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question I've been looking for an answer to in regard to this whole debate, has SCOTUS ever ruled on on a case where both parents did not have legal immigration status? In Wong Ark Kim both his parents had legal status, such as it existed at the time. I'm just wary that if they never ruled on that specific circumstance it might be a loophole large enough for the conservatives on the court to drive through.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh this may very well the true it's a decrepit old document which should be scrapped and worked over from the ground up

Since were dreaming, can we get rid of the 2nd amendment, move to a Westminster Parliamentary system and get MMP? :allears:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

V. Illych L. posted:

no, i mean why would you use that instead of something like the german system

I'm not married to it, if the German system is better then let's do that. I just want to get rid of a co-equal executive, a first past the post/winner take all voting system, and scheduled elections.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

Why are scheduled elections the big boogeyman?

Because it forces everyone to focus on the next election to the exclusion of all else. Literally the day after the 2012 election the 2014 campaign started, then the day after that the 2016. Removing scheduled elections and setting a close election date when Congress is dissolved would break that cycle. It would also help, but not eliminate, the influence of special interests especially in the house.

MrNemo posted:

FPtP doesn't necessarily mean 2 party system although it doesn heavily favour it, almost exclusively so in individual races, which the USA's presidential race heavily rewards.

This too, a FPtP winner take all system will always inevitably narrow down to two parties, because the price of voting for a third party is that the party you disagree with the most will win.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 18, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

No, it sounds like it would do exactly the opposite.

Well it needs to be paired with an overturning of Citizens United and serious campaign finance reform, but allowing Representatives and Senators to give the finger to the NRA without having to worry about being primaried would be worth it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

It's kind of a useless debate since we already start with the premise of "I have a magic wand that lets me do anything".

Just cure racism and class inequality and you won't have to worry about Citizens United or set elections.

That's just as valid since we are just dreaming :sigh:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Trabisnikof posted:

Would one need a constitutional amendment to broaden the acts/speech that counts as renouncing your citizenship?

I don't believe so, it may not even need a bill to be passed. The Executive branch has wide latitude to adopt and modify immigration rules within the current law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rygar201 posted:

Can we talk about what a sad human being Abigail Fisher is? Christ.

Of course, she's a spoiled child. She's never been told no and now she's throwing a tantrum.