Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Feldegast42 posted:

Slim to none without major political upheaval

Sadly it is more of a plausible possibility that Republicans could stack the court now with 3 extra justices or something seeing how they are basically getting away with whatever the gently caress they want due to their propaganda machine being in full swing and working wonders for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What's the over/under on a bet that this will be the youngest person ever nominated?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What will the decades of minority-rule by Republicans where election results won't matter anymore in the slightest due to the perma 5-4 SCOTUS court will bring be called? The American Apartheid?

Also laff at the idea of it being called anything as Texas Republicans write the history textbooks.

EDIT it being called anything NEGATIVE that is

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 28, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

haveblue posted:

The time America was Great

Time to Make America Great Again, AGAIN!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I bet out of all of this, Gorsuch feels pretty drat good.

Same feeling Bush 43 must have felt the moment Trump took office.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

icantfindaname posted:

Off topic slightly, but I know everyone knows Ginsburg is old, but I was reading about Breyer and he too is 80 years old and literally looks like a skeleton. I sure hope they both make it 2.5 years

I'm surprised none of them have been suspiciously Russia-poisoned so far, to be honest.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ron Jeremy posted:

The gloves came off after brown v board. It just takes a while.

Gloves came off after Confederates realized they didn't actually lose.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Again, it's amazing how the era of Trump whitewashes W's era into making us think it was so much better. Bush's appointment of Roberts shows that versus Gorisch or Kavarapist.

Roberts seems miles better than those two, and yet he will vote in lock step with Republican party the majority of the time. It just seems that Roberts got the memo that Justices of the SCOTUS are SUPPOSED to at least appear impartial to politics (hence the loving lifetime appointment) and yet that obviously hasn't been the with the last two.

I actually have a friend who is more bummed out by the fact that the SCOTUS is now pretty much a Yale-grad only club now. She graduated valedictorian of her college and law school, but since she didn't go to the good-old boys club of Yale she'll most likely never even have a dream of a shot at SCOTUS even if she continues to be amazing in her career. It's a huge deal, as people who attend Yale obviously don't really even know how the poors live in the US culture.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 11, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
They will confirm someone in January 2021 if they need to, with 50+VP votes in Senate which they still have.

If you think HateTurtle cares about people calling him on his poo poo or whatever then you are mistaken.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What's the over/under on the Alabama bullshit going exactly as the Republicans plan (i.e.: jerking off to) now that Trump/Turtle got to seat 2 justices and a ton of lower circuit judges?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FlamingLiberal posted:

We got confirmation that tomorrow is the last day of the term. I can see the gerrymandering case being overshadowed by the census one, but if both go down in a bad way it’s going to pretty much cement Republican rule indefinitely right?

This was all what it was for, so yes.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just like everything else hosed up with our country's first past the poll winner-takes-all system, anything that is one vote above 50% wins.

So 5 to 4 for everything conservative for the SCOTUS for the foreseeable future.

It doesn't matter how 538 spins it, that is what it all comes down to.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
This was the end game of loving over Garland. All it takes is 5-4 for Presidential Immunity and everyone will just throw up their hands and go OH WELL I GUESS JUSTICES ARE INFALLIBLE!

Sadly, it works: see Florida in 2000.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's not his point. The court in Bush v Gore *thought# they were stealing an election, and did it anyway.

Repubz gonna repub.

Seriously that single decision helped cement permanent Republican rule for the next 20 years or more so, with a brief blip of 2008-2010-- with 2010 being so successful for Repubs that this country will most likely have minority rule by them until they are able to cause such a Constitutional crisis that they get those re-writes cement permanent apartheid to turn this place into an even shittier combination of Russia and China that they all seem to be jerking off to the idea of.

They will have no problem doing it again in another 5-4.

That was the whole reason for denying Obama another seat and pushing through vaguely 100% conservative loyalist Gorsuch and then insane 1000000% masturbating to being the best loyalist ever Beerboi

jeeves fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 13, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm honestly surprised Putin has not just assassinated the liberal justices.

Our system is already so broken due to the Senate that it seems a very easy thing to do. Even if Democrats attempt to filibuster any new somehow-worse-than-Beerboi 18 year old new justice, the simple majority to pass + Pence's vote means they can have their way. And even if somehow the process gets bogged down, it would still be a smaller court with even more of a Republican advantage.

It's almost as if running a country using a pretty outdated set of rules written 240 years ago isn't such a great idea.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Don't worry, it won't come to that. Republicans removed the filibuster for SCOTUS nominees in under an hour when Neil Gorsuch was up for confirmation.

fukken laffff

Mod edit: nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 14, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kazak_Hstan posted:

lol if rbg dies on Jan 19 they’ll 100% replace her

If she died during an inauguration of a next Democratic President all of the Repubs would flee to confirm someone ASAP

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The senate is such a lynchpin of minority rule forever that a) no new states will ever be made, b) democratic states will somehow be made into non-senate 'former-states' and c) Koch-backed Repubs are salivating at a constitutional crisis to help re-write stuff to make all Senators governor-appointed.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kloaked00 posted:

How more completely transparent can the conservative majority make their voter suppression support

Why even bother trying to hide anything when they have an utterly massive propaganda machine of Fox News and company helping them at every turn.

Nixon wouldn't have resigned if he had Fox at the time. It's the whole reason Fox news was originally made.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

mdemone posted:

I just realized I'm still elated over Scalia's death. Opinions used to be so much more infuriating with him around.

I remember thinking "TODAY IS THE DAY" on Scalia's death: a permanent liberal majority for the court in my lifetime.

Oh man. What a different naive time that was.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Thread title true again

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FlamingLiberal posted:

Doing anything else is just fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

Democrats: "hold my white wine spritzer" *cuts off both arms*

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What are the biggest decisions we can expect a 5v4 permanent conservatism forever and ever outcome on in the near future that we should prepare our buttholes for?

Trump v. Vance / Deutsche Bank AG? California v. Texas? That fukken Louisiana abortion poo poo?

edit - besides like every now decision I guess

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I know a lawyer friend who used to work for Thomas.

Like apparently he doesn't realize/see himself as black and that a half a century ago he wouldn't have been able to marry his wife.

He's apparently literally brainwashed himself into thinking that he is anything but a stooge for rich whites because he sees himself as one now?

I got the impression that my friend thinks his brain is literal mush from their time with him. I guess he'll live for a very long time without spending a lot calories up top.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 22, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
When I mentioned that my friend said that he doesn't see himself as black, I didn't mean as like a super-Uncle Tom thing.

I meant as like, he wouldn't have been able to marry his wife or even have his own career if everyone else adhered to his strict beliefs that no law should have been changed since the times where he would have been classified as sub-human just by the color of his skin.

I guess others have pointed that out already though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Days since thread title relevant again: Zero (O)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As 2000 proved, all that matters to an election's outcome is SCOTUS' 5 to 4, regardless of voting.

Full circle back to this thread.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mikl posted:

Comedy option: Biden nominates Joe Kennedy III.

Comedy option: Biden wins the election.

Baby steps, for this thread.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
gently caress Feinstein. Wasn't her rise to power thanks to the assassination of Moscone and Harvey Milk?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Who thought cycling SCOTUS Justices back to lower courts as even an option? Who the gently caress would ever agree to that?

That would be like someone being President for 8 years and then going back to something rinkydink like a Governor or Mayor instead of just retiring?

edit - As for term limits in general: as any appointed-for-life dictator shows, why retire when you can literally spend the rest of your as one of the most powerful people in the world with the absolute best healthcare outside of like maybe billionaires*?

* Unless you have no morals and are a-okay retiring so you can have your team appoint a super young beer bro that is while also enjoying being rich/republican/great healthcare.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 19, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Romney backs vote on Supreme Court nominee, clearing way for Trump

All Republicans Are Bastards

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Raenir Salazar posted:

The only saving grace is that the worst things Trump can do in regards to this can be trivially fixed by the incoming Congress and President.

You mean by the broken minority-party controlled senate and the almost hundred+ lifetime appointments to the judiciary?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

haveblue posted:

All the federal courts are packable, if they take the trifecta and have the will to pass a new Judiciary Act. I mean, you can definitely argue that they won't do this in the end, because democrats, but nothing forbids it.

That takes a spine and doing stuff outside of ~DECORUM~

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Senate is a gonner dudes. We still gotta deal with Turtleface for another 4 years.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My friend used to be an intern for Justice Thomas. They said the loving funniest thing to me:

"If Biden wins he'll just wait another 4 years until he retires to spend more time with his family, ie: the portraits of white people that came with the frames he bought. That or he is discovered to have died like years ago and no one noticed."

Thomas is like what, younger than almost all three of the current liberal judges? gently caress man.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

vyelkin posted:

Clarence Thomas was 43 years old when he was appointed to the Supreme Court.

If he lives to be RBG's age he could conceivably spend more than half his life on the Supreme Court.

yeah but the sooner he retires the sooner they can appoint a 22 year old Legal Studies major with a C- GPA to replace him!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Jealous Cow posted:

Can’t wait for the Satanic Temple to really start pushing for more freedom from government since, you know, this should apply to all religions right?

I can't wait for the SCOTUS in a 5/4 or 6/3 to decide that the Satanic Temple is actually Satanic and the members need to be preemptively persecuted before they can persecute REAL CHRISTIANS, because Satanic and Sharia starts with S!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Thomas worked hard to be the crazy loving lizard he is now.

If anything I can only imagine the distain someone like him has for the new justices who are barely lawyers.

JK JK they all serve the same cult and high-five each other over the corpses of poors

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I kinda see the Biden admin as a dead cat bounce of any sort of Democratic rule in this country.

It’s going to be 6-3s on anything having to do with voting rights all the way down from now on.

Edit - dead cat bounce not dead count

jeeves fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You could probably name a bill “This is what Jesus would want” and Repubz would vote it down unless
it was more right than center right.