Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've got a quarter at 100:1 RBG goes before Kennedy does. Fools hope, but OMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's no reason to be a republican unless you're racist. mainstream dems are right wing economically so why not just be one of them.
You realize the GOP says the exact same thing about your side, right?

Demonizing the other side is counterproductive to compromise, in all forms.

Dismissing half the country as racist is an excellent way for them to also dismiss your side and exactly why those "proud deplorable" shirts exist in the first place.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 6, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stop defending literal Nazis.

Those "proud deplorable" shirts exist because racist and xenophobic assholes feel more empowered now than they have in decades, and people like you help keep it that way. gently caress those racist assholes gently caress anyone who defends them.
I'm not defending *literal* Nazis. But saying the entire party is composed of Nazis isn't going to change the mind of anyone on the fence.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 7, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Wxhode posted:

Why have you been trying to convince people that 1940's America and several EU countries today were/are run by "literal" Nazis? I mean, obviously putting foreigners in concentration camps until they can be sent home is much worse than putting your own citizens in concentration camps (whether or not you kill them), but the comparison still doesn't help.
It helps him justify his hatred so he is able to sleep at night to equate wanting to send illegal immegrants back to their home country with wanting to conquer the world and purge all non Aryans.

Either that or he needs to look up literal in a dictionary.
E: and read a history book about Nazi Germany.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 7, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Chuu posted:

Can someone explain why this is unethical?
People help pick their successor all the time. But it's Trump so it's unethical.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

edit: reminds me of health class in Kentucky “The answer to question 1 is set by the Kentucky state legislature”. The question was “what is the only 100% effective method of birth control”
Is their answer medically incorrect?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

evilweasel posted:

abstinence has a lower success rate in preventing pregnancy, as actually practiced, than other forms of birth control do, as actually practiced
But at that point you aren't abstaining any longer.

It's not the education they should be giving out, because odds and behavior do matter, but it *is* the medically correct answer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, not really. It's a matter of framing. "Abstinence always works" frames all other forms of birth control as failures of the method, but failures of abstinence as personal failures. Which is an ethical judgment, not a scientific measurement; the error rate on condoms is almost entirely user error also. All birth control failures are failures of the method.
Thus the difference between perfect use and actual use. As you say, perfect use condoms or pill are also almost 100% effective. Reality is a different number. Both numbers should be provided.

I'm not at all in favor of abstinence only education. Its bullshit. All the numbers should be provided.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Slaan posted:

And then "in a 5-4 decision" the court held that "lol gently caress you libs"
The last ruling was strictly about CO deliberately going after him. If they take this repeat as an afront the ruling will be far more broad this time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Slaan posted:

Absolutely. But that was to get Kennedy to sign off on it. The result was too narrow and punty to be otherwise. With Kavanaugh? I think they'll make an actual holding- against the transgender person.
Wasn't the last one 7-2? Or am I mis-remembering?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So far you would still be able to drive.

Bunch of dick waving, no questions.

The guy talking right now (schoolhouse rock dude) is pretty drat correct. Camera is on the judge, not sure who it is.

e: Ben Sasse

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 4, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Peacoffee posted:

oh my god if Sasse mentions school house rock one more time in this hearing...
SHR has a better grasp of civics than our legislature.

e: now you're drunk on Garland mentions.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 4, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Committee voted aye, one week for FBI background check.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I think, I have to think, that if a loony judge was murdered even the Republicans would nominate a Democrat to replace them and vice versa. I may be wrong, but I hope we never have to find out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

There is a difference between a retiring / natural causes judge and a murdered judge. The day a supreme court judge gets murdered and replaced by an opposite thinking judge our democracy *really* will be dead. And the gloves will be off, and the mob will rule. That will be a dark day. Is it possible? Absolutely. But I have to think we haven't sunk that low yet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

This is exactly what happened to Merrick Garland's nomination
Ignoring someone is equivalent to murdering someone? If I was on the Senate I would have voted for him, but the prior person in the office wasn't *murdered*.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 6, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I escaped from CA to the USA, don't need you to try and impose that poo poo on us again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

You'd think that time has already come.
I am very afraid that there simply arn't enough progressives to actually support the movement on a national scale.
And by the time there are it may be too late.
It may already be too late.
You can find more in Venezuela. If they haven't starved yet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The court's job is to check congress. Saying "this is assigned to congress so the SCOTUS has no role at all" is stupid. Beyond that I have no idea what y'all are talking about on the 15th amendment stuff. Link for info?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kazak_Hstan posted:

We desperately need a constitutional amendment that just says everyone has the right to vote.
Definitely "everyone".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So... trump wants to ask on the census (the same form that asks about age, occupation, and a myriad of other information) about citizenship.
Democrats think this will discourage participation.
Republicans think its a valid question.

'bout right?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

It won't be. They're talking about a new born.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but I'm pretty sure it's either stupid or trolling.
Its a Garland reference. So right on both counts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The court wasn't running in a constitutional issue, the law was creatively unclear, they were interpreting it. One of their main jobs.

To be considered vital habitat it has to be inhabited by the species in question. Not that controversial of a ruling, as it was 8-0.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ulmont posted:

This is not what the opinion says.

These two are correct. The Court specifically notes that habitat can include areas where a species does not currently live (aka not inhabited by the species).
Then I mis-read something. I thought they did the habitat thing and then punted back to the lower court "take this into consideration and rule on it again" type thing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

My master plan is that all fines levied against banks are done in lone forgiveness, in reverse order of value, so that as many people as possible see exactly what happens when we would hold a bank accountable.
Lone forgiveness?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kazak_Hstan posted:

education is a gently caress

$410,757,864,530 in student debt
It's almost like we've been throwing nearly unlimited student loans at kids and schools have responded by charging more...

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 31, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

As I recall they said it was constitutional because it was a tax. The tax part was removed, therefore the constitutionality of forcing people to buy a commercial product is.... TBD.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kalman posted:

But if there’s no penalty for not buying it (because the tax was removed) then you aren’t actually forced to buy it, therefore it’s constitutional after all.
Law still says it's required.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

There' s no way around this other than a national consensus on the issues.
Which is why judicial activism is such an issue. If the courts only stick to what's in the Constitution guns wouldn't be touched and abortion would be left to the states. Because there is no such consensus on a national issue.

Also why California is such a joke to the rest of the country.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

AGGGGH BEES posted:

The court system isn't the cure for all ills in this country, and y'all should be lobbying your reps and senators for legislation that fixes the problems you want fixed instead of ignoring the legislative branch entirely and hoping that this time the courts eally will slap down the Other Team.
Not empty quoting.
Also on the state level. (Mostly so you can leave your bullshit in states I'm not in).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Or freedom of religion, and not being able to prohibit it, trumps your desire not to hear it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, once it's established that groups of people organized and pooling resources under a common charter have no rights whatsoever, we can proscribe troublesome groups like the NRA, or the ACLU. After all, their members will still have the right to pursue their political interests individually.
And unions. And non profits. And...

I still don't understand why liberals are in such a hurry to lose the next civil war, but that's a different subject.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Deuce posted:

The USPS is amazing at their job. You got duped by all the propaganda about how they’re in debt, didn’t you?
USPS is amazing at delivering to basically every single address every single day.

That is also amazingly wasteful in terms of efficiency (due to needing to deliver to every single address every single day), which is why privatizing it would be amazingly stupid.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The 9th circuit tried to let dead people vote? This is my shocked face.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Constitution: accused has the right to an attorney.
Thomas: doesn't say they you get a free pass if they gently caress up.

That about summarize it?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

atelier morgan posted:

Thomas' argument is that the constitution provides a right to hire and employ an attorney in your defense, not a right to be provided with one for free.
"The result is that convicted criminals can relitigate their trial and appellate claims through collateral challenges couched as ineffective-assistance-of-counsel claims." Yes, he brings up right to public provided attorney, but the focus there is on effectiveness of their effort.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SCOTUS is supposed to interpret laws according to how congress wrote said law, and ensure that said laws are staying within the boundaries of the constitution. Not to write laws itself or creatively interpret the laws to reach a certain conclusion. Congress should be activist. SCOTUS should not.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

An embassy is where, by definition and tradition, most business with a foreign country is conducted. Why wouldn't an embassy be a valid location to mail their foreign minister? Yes, email and electronic messages have replaced most of that, but if you have to deliver paper its going to be the best place to do so. The embassy can forward it along through electronic means as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

e: meh. Thats not a great counter-example. It fits, but not a great example.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 26, 2019