Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've always held that the biggest problem with standardized tests is the assumption that 100% of students give a single poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

From the way they're offering it on a city by city basis I would guess they're setting up facilities in individual cities and only serving people in those cities with those specific facilities precisely to avoid any out-of-market issues.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The part where they tell him to keep them rather than taking them as evidence? It's like they wanted him to destroy them so they could nail him for that instead.

Kalman posted:

Because they generally have the burden of not destroying evidence in their possession.

Isn't that traditionally used as "you are under investigation, don't destroy anything" and then they actually take the stuff they need when they find it?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The original fish size violation was just a red herring; they (maybe) just wanted to give him an opportunity and motivation to destroy evidence.

If we want to get really :tinfoil: about prosecutors going for people and finding crimes later: If their original citation was enough to prove he kept undersized fish, why did they still need the fish afterwards? If it was NOT enough to prove it, how is it enough to prove he ever had more undersized fish than he did upon reaching short? Did they photograph the undersized fish at the time? Or did they just write a ticket for 72 undersized fish when there were only 69 and then claim he had to have tossed the others?

Hell, could somebody have miscounted? :coolfish: :spergin:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Gyges posted:

Considering the fisherman was hauling the rest of his catch into port at the same time, the cost should be negligible.

Opportunity cost of cargo space that could've been filled with fish he could legally keep?

Regardless, bleating about costs now is just rear end-covering for trying to toss evidence.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I feel like the solution to clinic protesters isn't buffer zones, it's axing all the other bullshit laws against them so they can more easily do things like own fenced parking lots, since excluding protesters from your own private property is way easier.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

One of my lottery fantasies is rolling up to a random clinic at a random time once a week and donating $largesum per protester to the clinic. Like the quarter guy from the other thread, but with many more digits.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So would just adding the "this is exempt from RFRA" to the health care act render all this moot? Not that it'll happen.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A single act can break multiple laws. The general idea of going for multiple charges is that if they couldn't get murder, they might still get manslaughter, which is easier to prove. Conversely a conviction of murder doesn't preclude a lesser conviction as well.

There's also stacking as much poo poo as possible to gain leverage for a plea bargain and probably other reasons I don't even know about

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Having had vote by mail here since before I can remember, it amazes me that some/most states force you to physically go to a place to vote like it's 1862.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Why is Scalia using "pure applesauce" as a negative thing? Applesauce is awesome, and the more pure it is the better it is

Probably because screaming THIS IS loving BULLSHIT in a dissent is frowned upon.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I for one wouldn't mind all vital government services being federally required to be open 24/7/365 to accommodate every possible person's schedule. :getin:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So are the drugs that companies are refusing to provide known to be actually painless, and the lovely stuff we're stuck with now just isn't? If that's the case, there should be legislative solutions.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

captainblastum posted:

No - anti-death penalty groups are not responsible for using cruel methods to kill somebody. Only the executions are.

If they're actively blocking access to the not-cruel methods, then they are entirely responsible.

Let's just require the companies to provide the drugs if they value their access to the US market.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Would any potential appointee even be considered if they weren't at least claiming to be some form of Christian? We're not quite there yet, I'm afraid.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Same deity. I stand by my point. :v:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure Scalia has released opinions on the same day that interpret the same principles oppositely depending on his opinion on the case

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Maybe they can crib the plot of that one episode of West Wing where they offer the republicans an unopposed pick in exchange for their unopposed pick to take RBG's seat.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Ban all advertising of any kind, problem solved.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Can we get a Latin legal concept that means "old rear end judges who can barely work a web browser shouldn't be setting legal precedent regarding computer programming"?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I have a certain amount of trouble summoning much vitriol about this; if anyone who breaks ranks to confirm is gonna be out on their rear end in the next primary, they are indeed obeying the will of the people they represent, who don't want a democrat-appointed justice to replace a conservative one.

It's rather my belief that the problem lies in that a single committee of a tiny fraction of the voting body can bottle up any issue and keep it from a straight up vote on a whim like this.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Wasn't RBG originally going to retire in 2016 to make sure a democrat got to nominate her successor? Guessing that went out the window when Scalia died and they went full roadblock.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Interesting. Trump will probably replace her with Sarah Palin when she croaks.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm assuming the new head would care more about their own life than a judicial appointment

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's not like it went to the floor and the dude failed a straight up vote, it's being blocked by one dude who heads one committee.

However, the Senate gets to make their own rules for this poo poo so that he is doing that isn't in violation of anything.

The half~ish of the country that vote Republican don't want Scalia's seat shifting left, so nobody's getting voted out over this, and that's the big check on the power of these guys. So here we are.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

twodot posted:

I still think the argument that "orders to detain 40 people without charge indefinitely are definitely legal orders soldiers will follow, but spending money to release those people from detention is super illegal, and soldiers definitely won't do that" is REALLY weird, but I suspect we won't reach agreement on that.

If it's just a matter of spending money being the forbidden act, I bet he could find some nutty british big game hunters who'd foot the relocation expenses to get to hunt those 40 dudes for sport on a private island somewhere, and then everybody wins except the prisoners, but really, how nice are their prospects NOW?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

They were pretty clear that they (claim they) don't think an (almost) outgoing president should be picking a justice (a year away from being) on his way out the door. Everybody knows it's bullshit and they just don't want Scalia's seat shifting left but that's the feedback the president got: "Don't bother, we don't want anybody from you just now." It's a trick they had in their bag to get what they wanted, and it worked.

I'm kinda curious if they would've done the same over RBG's seat. Replacing her with Garland would be a net gain for them, after all.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

What're the odds the GOP gets Trump's SCOTUS pick and wait to confirm them on March 16th for a maximum gently caress You to Obama and the Democrats?

I'll be amazed if his pick takes 30 days to be rubber stamped unless he puts up somebody unexpected.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It was stated in the conference today that we can expect a nominee within the next week or two, so that day will be here shortly.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Of those three, I'd choose the Scalia clone. The others both seem worse, if only a little.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I think the idea is that once it's done once, the dems will just nuke it again when they have the numbers, so it's effectively gone for good.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

He's saving his sister for when rbg dies so he can replace a woman with a woman, duh. It'll be her or Sarah Palin.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Holding off and doing it on a HUGE, attention-getting issue (rather than a random appointment) gives them more media and support for their one shot at it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That's not a verified account and it only has one tweet so who knows.

Javid fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Daily mail.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So what kind of a stick does a district court have to beat the president with over contempt?

Like I get that they can order agencies to stop doing something, but it's not like they can have him arrested.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It legit wouldn't surprise me if the GOP is just waiting for him to piss off their base good and hard to impeach him and install President Pence.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So if this makes it to the SC after Gorsuch gets confirmed, would he be expected to recuse?

Like obviously he can't bail out on every single case that challenged an act of the current unified Republican government, but when the issue is a direct edict from the President who put him on the bench? Is there even precedent for an EO being so thoroughly challenged?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How is someone found innocent not out of jail like, that day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So is Gorsuch in line behind all Trump's other appointees to get a confirmation hearing or is this a separate track?