Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rigel posted:

Anyone younger than 40 is automatically a bad pick by default. The judges people think Biden is most likely to pick from are pretty young while still being qualified.

It seems incredibly unlikely that Republicans, if they control the senate, will let any vote happen at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The bluedog caucus such as it is has been nearly annihilated over the last 10 years or so, so I would expect that Feinstein's people have some ability to read the room.

feinstein doesn't give a gently caress, she's an incredibly senior and powerful senator, she'll do whatever the gently caress she wants and gently caress you

if she wasn't crazy powerful she'd probably have been primaried a long time ago, she's representing California and by current standards she is aggressively Third Way and quite authoritarian.

Like poo poo she was pretty far on the authoritarian side of things even back during bush 1, she was a massive proponent of all the patriot act stuff and other antiterror enablement stuff that led us here.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 16, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
McConnell has no shame, I don't think he'll care about random attempts to trip him up on procedural poo poo even if the senate didn't set its own rules of business.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ultimately this whole line of discussion is somewhere between victim-blaming and wishing on the moon. It's over, she didn't, blame is useless especially targeted at a dead woman.

In what sense is this “over”? RBG’s decisions precipitated a constitutional crisis that will rumble along at least until democrats are forced to pack the senate next year, more realistically for the next 20-30 years. Nothing is over, the crisis she set into motion is just getting started.

This is now her legacy, believe it or not. Her poor political maneuvering undid abortion rights and countless more rights besides. Everything she did during her life is at risk because of 7 selfish years at the end.

And sure, McConnell is ultimately the one who pulled the trigger, but if you are in a war and you have a general who makes the decision to leave a flank defenseless for no reason and the enemy exploits that, it’s ultimately not useful to cry about how it’s the enemy’s fault it was exploited, there was another person who had the singular ability to stop that.

RBG left our flank defenseless. She was asked to retire in 2013, when she was 80 and had already had cancer three times. She chose not to for personal reasons.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yes, exactly. It's spilt milk.

That’s an awfully crass thing to say to people who have to endure a rollback of their human rights, that it’s just going to happen and you need to get over it and face it with a smile.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Not what I said at all.

The point is it has already happened. She made her choices back in 2013 and yelling at a dead lady over choices made a subjective century ago isn't worthwhile. Focus on the things that haven't happened yet and there's still time to change -- the election, court packing, whatever your choice of activist issue is. Yelling at people about RBG is just raising your blood pressure to no purpose. You might as well be yelling about Obama's refusal to pack the court when *he* had the chance in 2009.

Hell, it would be more productive to yell at Obama. Obama is still exerting influence in current races. Making him feel some shame or guilt might accomplish something.

"a subjective century ago" implies that nobody could have reasonably foreseen the circumstances. Again, people in 2013 told her it was time, she was 80 years old and a triple cancer survivor, she only hung on this long by the skin of her teeth, realistically she should have retired a long time ago. She was trying to hold on so her successor could be nominated by the first woman president, which she considered symbolically important.

The mere fact that it happened 7 years ago is not particularly important, 7 years is not really a long time at all, even in politics. Even if it had been 70 years, the duration doesn't absolve you of the responsibility of doing something with obviously foreseeable negative consequences, and an octogenarian triple cancer survivor risking the fate of the country on the outcome of the next election was obviously risky. That was her decision and no one else's. Obama couldn't make her step down, it's not his fault.

Yes, I have been quite vociferous that I think Obama didn't do enough to exert democratic power while he had the chance. What of it? That doesn't absolve RBG of the responsibility for her own part in this, it's just whattaboutism.

(and the party establishment has been whining about that criticism of Obama just as much as they whine about criticism of RBG, for the record. It's funny how the goalposts shifted on that one.)

As far as Obama and the court: the norms hadn't yet shifted to where a President doesn't get to pick judges if they don't control the senate. That is distinct from RBG choosing to roll the dice that Hillary would get elected so she could appoint her replacement. RBG wasn't concerned or not concerned about the Senate not hearing a nomination, she wanted a symbolic victory and presupposed the outcome of the election. That is certainly hubris at best, selfishness and irresponsibly gambling the fate of the country at worst. Her personal actions, undertaken for pointless and selfish reasons, placed the country at risk, even if she had won her gamble.

McConnell changing the rules of the game has only amplified the crisis but it was a stupid, pointless risk to undertake for no real gain even before that. She wasn’t trying to squeeze in another couple years and then retire in 2015 or 2016, the rule change had nothing to do with the gamble she made.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 24, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gerund posted:

The "whatever my activist issue", during a time of a rollback of human rights, has in part a speaking honestly about the foolish actions of the dead lady entirely because the source of my activism- the decades of pain and suffering- would be extended if someone were to repeat the actions of the foolish dead lady.

yeah I mean ultimately Hieronymous Alloy is right that we have to accept the events that have transpired and move forward, the past is past. But we certainly don't have to don't have to celebrate or even ignore that RBG gambled the future of the court (and America) so she could have a girl-power moment where the first woman president replaces a prominent woman justice.

That was a supremely lovely thing for her to do and we all have to suffer the consequences for it, and we should absolutely point out that it was a lovely thing for her to do so that nobody tries it again in the future.

History will not and should not look favorably on that call.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 24, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Declan MacManus posted:

i’m just hopeful that the nomination process does not go smoothly and quickly, and that maybe the farce of procedure in the senate is finally given the coup de grace it deserves and maybe we don’t end up with a chud on the court

i’m not expecting a miracle, because although it would be funny to see the conservative legal project (the blessed child labored over for 60 years carefully nursed and kept alive through setbacks and incompetent nominating by sheer force of will and aggressive recruitment and indoctrination) suddenly eat a huge loving L by way of donald trump’s own goal (and believe me i’d love to see it i could use a laugh 2020’s been hard), i would expect they’d find some way to force barrett onto the court in the lame duck session. i can only hope the democrats take a hard fought loss and maybe find their own soulless turtle gently caress to lead them kicking and screaming into 2022

Keeping her off the court until after trump makes his play to have SCOTUS decide the election would be a win even if it couldn’t be held out until January. but the speculation is pointless because they can’t, McConnell of all people gives not a single poo poo about :decorum: or the appearance of impropriety, if necessary he would just overturn whatever rules or gavel through whatever objections he needed to in order to get her on the court. He would personally give himself covid and then passionately French kiss every republican in the senate if that’s what it took.

Rules lawyering is pointless with someone who doesn’t care about playing by the rules. McConnell is 100% results oriented and doesn’t care at all about how we get there or how it “looks” (libs should take notes). He’s spent 10 years engineering this outcome, they’ve finally flipped the court, he’s not going to let it go to waste because a few Republican senators might die.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 3, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
ACB isn't just tied to general catholicism tho, she's tied to an ultra-orthodox sect called People of Praise.

the general reverence for paganistic beliefs over atheistic, supportable ones is not founded, if paganistic beliefs are considered sacrosanct for justices then humanistic beliefs should be as well.

humanistic beliefs aren't and unless we're going to broach that subject now, with legal force and future effect, then paganistic beliefs shouldn't be either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FAUXTON posted:

weird that this keeps happening despite california having open primaries like that

feinstein is deeply embedded into the party leadership and they would pull out all the stops to bury a progressive challenger, it would make Bernie's runs look fair and balanced.

also due to california's jungle primary you'd have to win against her in the general, with no national-level democratic funding and while being blackballed by all the fundraising orgs