Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Welcome to the Korean food megathread! Every time a Korean dish shows up someone mentions we should have a megathread, so finally here we go. I've been living in Korea about three years now, so I've become familiar with the food and simultaneously enjoy it and have a litany of complaints about it. This thread is for recipes, praise, complaint, and documentation of the crimes against humanity anyone who has eaten in Korea has seen. All are welcome!

No need for a lot more introduction, let's get down to business. First, the basic ingredients of the Korean pantry.

Korean Ingredients

Soy sauce. Ganjang (간장) is in all sorts of things, much like other Asian cuisines. Korean soy sauce varieties are still something of a mystery to me because none of my friends here cook and can explain anything to me. They're all essentially the light style, though. I don't like Korean soy sauce much, it's always a gamble between okay, waaaay too salty, or sweetened, so I stopped using it. There's not a huge difference so don't feel the need to hunt down Korean soy sauce unless you just feel like it. I always use Chinese light soy personally.
Substitutions: Chinese light soy sauce or standard Japanese soy sauce.

Vinegar (rice/apple). Sikcho (식초) is necessary for lots of sauces and dipping. The standard types of vinegar here are rice vinegar and apple vinegar, there are other varieties but these are the two you need. Korean varieties of vinegar are sometimes sweetened, but not as often as other things.
Substitutions: It's rice/apple vinegar, there's nothing special about the Korean varieties. Any kind you have will be okay.

Rice wine. Cheongju (청주) is used in sauces mainly, the same way it is in other cuisines. It's not really for drinking ever, unlike some of the other varieties. I've never been served it or seen it available. The Korean stuff I've tried has been sweetened, so I stopped using it, I just use Chinese stuff since I have that around anyway.
Substitutions: Sake or Chinese rice wine.

Doenjang (된장) is fermented soybean paste. It's pretty salty and sometimes has some soybeans hanging out in it whole, not totally ground up. It appears in a variety of sauces and soups, and sometimes even shows up by itself as a paste for grilled meats and stuff.
Substitutions: Doenjang and miso are essentially the same thing. They aren't exactly the same so do try to find doenjang, but miso is fine if you can't.

Gochujang (고추장) is chili paste, and I'd say it's the star ingredient of Korean cuisine. It shows up in loving everything (including many places it really shouldn't). It's made from chilies, soybeans, salt, rice, all fermented together. It's often sweetened a bit as well. Gochujang is used by itself and often mixed with other things in a huge variety of sauces.
Substitutions: There really is no substitute for gochujang, you need to find it if you want to cook Korean food extensively. Chinese doubanjiang (豆瓣酱) is similar but it isn't the same thing at all. If you have no other choice you could use it, but it's worth your time to find actual gochujang.

Ssamjang (쌈장) is a combination of doenjang, gochujang, and often some other poo poo which is used as a condiment. Typically it's eaten with barbecue, ssam is the name for what you have when you fill a leaf with barbecue and such and wrap it all up, so the name meants it's sauce for that. You can make this at home by mixing things, I just buy it since I can score a half kilo tub for like 50 cents on sale.
Substitutions: None.

Gochugaru (고추가루) is dried hot pepper powder. This is used to spice up things and making kimchi. Gochugaru is not just Korean, it's also made in China and the Chinese stuff is literally exactly the same for like 1/4 the price (at least in Korea) so I highly recommend buying Chinese instead if you can find it.
Substitutions: I guess you could use any ground up dried hot red peppers but gochugaru is made from a specific species, so I'd find it. For general spicing up of sauces and such sriracha works great.

Sesame oil. Chamgireum (참기름) is... oil. Made from sesame seeds. This shouldn't be difficult to find. There are refined ones that are used more for cooking and strong ones for finishing, get the strong finishing kind.

Kimchi (김치) is kimchi. I'm mentioning it here because it's used as an ingredient in a lot of stuff, as well as obviously being a food in its own right. Kimchi will get its own post.

Dashima (다시마) is dried kelp, used in making seafood stock called dashi (Korean version isn't exactly the same as Japanese typically) as well as eaten. Good dashima should be covered with a white powder, don't wash it off! That's pure MSG and it's the basic point of using this.
Substitute: Dashima is just the Korean name for kombu, it's the same thing. Get Korean or Japanese, whatever's convenient.

Saeujeot (새우젓) are tiny preserved shrimps. They're used in sauces and making kimchi. Little umami and shrimp flavor bombs, and they help get the bacteria going in the kimchi I believe.
Substitute: You could use shrimp pastes from other Asian cuisines. Generally everything I've seen with saeujeot, you could just leave them out if you don't have any and it'd be okay.

Fish sauce. Aegjeot (액젓) is the juice of fermented anchovies and such. It's salty and umami and awesome in all kinds of things, you're probably aware of it.
Substitute: Any fish sauce is fine, I've never actually used Korean. I just use my trusty bottle of Squid brand.

Panko. Bbanggaru (빵가루) is a form of bread crumb from Japan used to bread various fried things. It makes a special kind of crunchiness that regular bread crumbs don't.
Substitute: Korean is exactly the same as Japanese, get whatever.

Gim (김) is a sheet of dried algae, often called seaweed but it actually isn't. You find this everywhere as a side dish, shredded onto rice, put in soup, wrapping kimbap, et cetera. There are different seasonings for this, different sizes, and the bags of pre-shredded gim especially have lots of flavorings like dried anchovies or sesame seeds.
Substitute: Japanese nori is the same thing, they're both used here.

Corn Syrup/Sugar are used very commonly, because Korea is obsessed with making all food sweet. See just a portion of the corn syrup aisle at the grocery store above. I, personally, use no corn syrup and little to no sugar when I cook Korean food.

Dried anchovies/fish in general are used in a lot of things, I have to be honest I'm not too familiar with all of this because I haven't used it. I'll update later.

Vegetables

Most vegetables in Korea are either pickled or cooked to death and drowned in sauce. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of them. Pickling will get its own post later since it covers a wide variety of Korean foods, including obviously kimchi.

Common vegetables you will be using in Korean food are the following:

Bean sprouts
Napa cabbage
Green cabbage
Lettuce
Onions
Green onions
Leeks
Garlic
Ginger
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Carrots
Cucumbers
Hot peppers
Perilla leaves
Daikon

This is by no means a complete list.

Meats

Korean cuisine makes heavy use of squid, octopus, cuttlefish, little fish, chicken, duck, and mainly pork. Beef also exists but is expensive as gently caress here so it's not used as widely, feel free to take advantage of your cheap American beef and use it more widely. Lamb was once very popular, but the Japanese got rid of it during the occupation and now most Koreans refuse to touch it. Dog meat is less common than it was but my little neighborhood market still has a butcher selling it.

Tofu is also common protein.

Herbs and Spices

Korean food uses no herbs or spices. Cilantro was once popular, but has mostly gone away for reasons I've never discovered, and most Koreans refuse to eat it now. Salt is used, and gochugaru. Otherwise, I have not seen any herbs or spices in any Korean food.

The closest exception is the use of Japanese curry powder occasionally. I hate Japanese curry so I never include it.

Cooking Techniques

Korean food doesn't use any specialized techniques like stir-frying. I've observed little to no technique at all in Korean kitchens—throw everything in a pot at once and boil it to death is the standard procedure for like half the food. I encourage you to use the techniques you already know and ignore any Korean technique advice you see.

The Korean Table

Korean food is served all at once in like a thousand plates. Being the dishwasher at a Korean restaurant must be hell on Earth. Utensils are thin metal chopsticks and a spoon. You eat the rice with the spoon, not chopsticks like you are used to from Chinese or Japanese. You can do whatever of course.

In a typical Korean meal you have rice, which is the main dish. Then there's a soup of some sort. If there's meat or fish, that's a major side dish. Then you have a profusion of other side dishes called banchan. These range from kimchi to namul to jeon to hot dogs.

Useful links for finding stuff online:
Online Hangeul keyboard
The official Romanization system of (south) Korean so you can spell things

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Table of contents

Dalkjuk (닭죽)

Sundubu (순두부)

Kimchi Jjigae (김치찌개)

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 15, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Reserved

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Awesome, I love Korean food and would like to make more of it than I have. I try to generally try and keep a batch of kimchi around most of the time because I loving love the stuff, but I had some questions about kimchi jigae/chigae/etc.

Usually I usually saute my meat(unless I'm doing canned tuna), garlic, and onions in a mixture of sesame/vegetable oil then dump a bunch of kimchi, water, and a bit of whatever meat-broth I have laying around in. I'll throw in soy sauce and/or fish sauce to taste. I like the taste a lot, but I don't get the color/thickness/opacity right. I realize I'm not using gochujang, which might be a terrible sin, but is there anything else I'm missing?

I've also had a bit of an issue finding the ground chili powder that's a reasonable amount of heat when making kimchi. It's either barely hot, or brutal enough that I won't be able to eat it. I've taken to using like a quarter or third of the really hot one the recipe calls for, and then using red pepper flakes for the remainder.

Red pepper flakes and no gochujang, I'm making GBS threads this thread up already, aren't I? :negative:

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
FINALLY. Thanks Fromage...Now I have a reason to start making some korean food again. Posts soon to come.

Good job by the way, pretty comprehensive in the way of ingredients.

There's something about korean food...its simplicity and a kind of "don't give a gently caress" attitude. Rules are usually out the door and recipes often hard to come by, mostly being passed around by word of mouth or the occasional random korean food blog.

I'm Korean, so I grew up eating Korean food...I didn't look at it with an outsider's perspective until I started really getting into cooking and different cuisines. My girlfriend is Chinese and she thinks Korean food is rather "boring", which I could kind of agree with when you compare it to Chinese food. I think that traditional Korean cuisine is pretty similar to Japanese cuisine, in that a lot of it is very simple (but not quite as simple as Japanese traditional cuisine). Yes, and there is the thing of everything being sweetened. Usually you find that in packaged products, and I think sweetness might be kind of a recent trend that became popular with commercialized food products.

That being said, there are a ton of "hidden gem" dishes in korean cuisine that needs to be shared with the general populace...Korean food has been kind of the overlooked and forgotten stepchild that's slowly starting to become the new "sexy Asian cuisine" in the states.

hoshkwon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 4, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does gochujang last forever because I bought a tub to make 1 meal and that was probably a year ago and I realise I've not used it since and its just sat in a cupboard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably still good, but I keep mine in the fridge. Smell test.

Some people on the internet say even if it grows mold you can just scrape it off. I would just chuck it at that point.

edit: consulted my mom, she says to stick it in the fridge once you open it, but as long as it doesn't have mold you're okay

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 4, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

Does gochujang last forever because I bought a tub to make 1 meal and that was probably a year ago and I realise I've not used it since and its just sat in a cupboard.

It lasts a very long time in the fridge. I would throw it out and buy a new one if it's that old, some things aren't worth dying for.

hoshkwon posted:

My girlfriend is Chinese and she thinks Korean food is rather "boring", which I could kind of agree with when you compare it to Chinese food.

My main complaint about Korean food is how boring it is. There's no use of subtle flavor, everything has one overpowering flavor and there are only three choices in that flavor category: spicy, sweet, or gross. But, I live in Korea so it's easy to get bored with the food when it's everywhere and has little variety.

I actually think you guys who live in the US or wherever are lucky and will enjoy Korean food more than anyone who lives in Korea. But, as I am no longer victimized by lovely Korean food daily at school lunch, I find myself wanting it more than I ever used to.

Here are some pictures from my local street market, where I buy most of my vegetables and fruit (except non-standard Korean stuff or cheapo Costco):

The market just sets up in this side street every five days.

A number of dried little fish. These are used in some dishes and also just eaten straight as snacks.

Dried big fish, and non-dried. You may see the lack of ice, this is okay now in winter but when it's 110F in summer and the fish are sitting out still without any ice, I avoid the street market fish. And piles of dead shellfish in the heat. :barf:

Kimchi making season, so there are piles of daikon and napa cabbage everywhere.

Like this bus seat entirely buried under it.

The vegetable cart is a common sight with old women. This isn't forced Hobbit perspective either, old women here are four feet tall. The legacy of famine.

One of the food stalls.

A couple from the grocery store. One section of the Spam aisle. American Spam is fancy and expensive, mostly it's Korean knockoff spam.

The tuna aisle. When you see tuna in a Korean recipe, they mean a can 99% of the time.

Edit: Oh, one other thing on your Korean pantry. Most of those ingredients are fermented/salted/otherwise preserved and will last a while. I just got new tubs of gochujang and ssamjang, and they both have 2015 expiration dates on them. So feel free to just buy everything all at once when you find it, most of it will last at least a year.

I keep my gochujang/ssamjang/doenjang/saeujeot in the fridge.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 5, 2013

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Grand Fromage posted:

Welcome to the Korean food megathread! Every time a Korean dish shows up someone mentions we should have a megathread, so finally here we go. I've been living in Korea about three years now, so I've become familiar with the food and simultaneously enjoy it and have a litany of complaints about it. This thread is for recipes, praise, complaint, and documentation of the crimes against humanity anyone who has eaten in Korea has seen. All are welcome!

No need for a lot more introduction, let's get down to business. First, the basic ingredients of the Korean pantry.

Korean Ingredients

Soy sauce. Ganjang (간장) is in all sorts of things, much like other Asian cuisines. Korean soy sauce varieties are still something of a mystery to me because none of my friends here cook and can explain anything to me. They're all essentially the light style, though. I don't like Korean soy sauce much, it's always a gamble between okay, waaaay too salty, or sweetened, so I stopped using it. There's not a huge difference so don't feel the need to hunt down Korean soy sauce unless you just feel like it. I always use Chinese light soy personally.
Substitutions: Chinese light soy sauce or standard Japanese soy sauce.

First off, cool idea for a thread. I've been living in Korea for over 5 years and have been cooking and eating Korean food the whole time. I don't really have time to read through everything just yet, but I wanted to point out one small mistake here.

Korean 간장 comes in a lot of varieties. Just in that picture you posted you can see light and heavier varieties of it. The white bottles in the center-rightish part of your pictures are 맑은 조선강장 is kind of heavier 국간장 used for soups. It'll be salty and strong compared to, say, 샘표 양조간장. I don't know what kind of moon brand you are buying, but Korean soy sauce tends to be way more flavorful than Japanese soy sauce (at least the kinds I grew up with in Hawaii) and has never come across as sweet to me.

I'll take the time to write up some stuff when I get off work. I love cooking Korean food and would be more than willing to share recipes that I've created here. The joy of cooking Korean food is that it really doesn't require exact anything, you can modify all of the different ingredients to suit your taste easily. I tend to go heavy on the chili paste/garlic/젓 whenever I get the chance. Korean food is really anything but boring, there is a huge variety in the dishes you can prepare and enjoy.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Grand Fromage posted:

Fish with no ice in summer
:stare: What city do you live in where this is the case, GF? I know at least in Seoul/Bundang the open-air markets keep fish over ice, and the GIANT 노량진 seafood market even keeps a lot of the fish in tanks. Are you more out in the provinces?

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Is there anything else that chunjang is used for other than jajangmyeon? I have a couple of decently filled jars from when I bought more forgetting that I already had some lying around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

USMC_Karl posted:

Korean 간장 comes in a lot of varieties.

Can you write an effortpost on the varieties? All my Korean friends are young so literally none of them have ever cooked anything before (here it's very odd to cook before you get married and move out), and they know less about Korean food than I do. So I don't know anything about soy sauce varieties except trial and error of several before I gave up on Korean soy sauces.

Archer2338 posted:

:stare: What city do you live in where this is the case, GF? I know at least in Seoul/Bundang the open-air markets keep fish over ice, and the GIANT 노량진 seafood market even keeps a lot of the fish in tanks. Are you more out in the provinces?

Ulsan, which is technically the provinces but is by far the richest city in Korea so the usual rules don't apply (Seoul markets are almost always cheaper, for one). It's not universal, some markets have ice all the tome, some have it sometimes. At the neighborhood markets like mine, ice is 50/50 on a good day. I've seen plenty of buckets of dead mussels sitting in the 100 degree heat and sunshine though. Considering that food sanitation is basically non-existent here, it's not a huge shocker that ice is sketchy. I just don't buy seafood from neighborhood markets, I go to the store or the big wet market downtown and get them still swimming.

Ra-amun posted:

Is there anything else that chunjang is used for other than jajangmyeon? I have a couple of decently filled jars from when I bought more forgetting that I already had some lying around.

I hate jjajangmyeon with a passion and know nothing about it, but from some looking around it doesn't appear that it's used in anything else. I actually had never heard of chunjang until now and I've read a whole lot of Korean recipes (except for jjajangmyeon because of my hate) so I suspect it isn't used in anything else.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Jjajangmyeon seems like an odd thing to hate. I could see being like "eh" about it, but hate? Even with Tangsooyook? Ah well, I'll chalk it up to some kind of traumatic experience.

I make delicious and awesome soondubu, will have to wait to post when I return from vacation in a week though.

EDIT: VV A traumatic experience like that! VV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 5, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
When I was growing up, my mom made Jjapaghetti for my best friend and me. He thought it looked like worms. He's really the only person I know who can't eat Jjajangmyun.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Jjajangmyeon seems like an odd thing to hate. I could see being like "eh" about it, but hate? Even with Tangsooyook? Ah well, I'll chalk it up to some kind of traumatic experience.

It's just super gross to me. Smells awful tastes awful.

Tangsuyuk is acceptable when you know that's what you're getting, but that first time going into a "Chinese" restaurant without knowing that Korean Chinese is not Chinese is quite the experience.

The winner for worst Korean food is hongeo, skate fermented in its own urine. The Korean version of that rotten shark thing from Iceland.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 6, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I live next to a bangin' Korean grocery store. While I'd love some more recipes, I am also interested in basic Korean cooking techniques and how to "think" while cooking Korean food. Things like "wok hei" in Chinese cooking or "It's PAPRIKA not tomatoes" for Hungarian or "the answer is always roux" in cajun cooking. That kind of thing that a novice might overlook and/or not understand the significance of.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Shbobdb posted:

I am also interested in basic Korean cooking techniques and how to "think" while cooking Korean food.
If it is a food, boil it in water. For variety, boil your food in oil.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

feelz good man posted:

If it is a food, boil it in water. For variety, boil your food in oil.

This is essentially correct, and why I suggest completely ignoring anything you find about Korean cooking technique and instead doing things you're used to like searing your meat and using stocks. Korean cuisine is still barely out of famine mode, the country desperately needs some new chefs willing to gently caress with the traditions and elevate the food to where it should be. Think the US 20-30 years ago, Korea is still in its canned cream of mushroom soup phase.

Korean food doesn't have any specialty techniques anyway that I've seen. It's all basic stuff common across cultures, with a lot of borrowing from Japanese and Chinese.

Edit: Actually I can think of one, Korean-style fried chicken. Since this is a magical place where you can call a restaurant and a suicidal guy on a motorcycle will bring a box of fried chicken to your door for free, I've never actually made it. Here's a recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/04/dinner-tonight-korean-fried-chicken-recipe.html

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 6, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dalkjuk (닭죽)

Juk (죽) is the Korean version of congee, a rice porridge common across much of Asia. It fills a cultural role more or less identical to that of chicken soup in the west, and is also hella cheap so it's one of my go-tos when my wallet is light. You can make juk with anything--crab, shrimp, fish, pumpkin, etc--but this is the chicken version.

You will need:

11-12 cups of water.
1.5 cups of rice for a thick juk, 1 cup for thin.
Green onions, onions, and garlic.
Salt.

That is for traditional juk, I usually add a few other things. You can do basically anything with this dish, it's more of a way of cooking than a recipe.

Fill your big pot with the water and let the rice soak. Wash it a little but don't worry about getting it too clean, just get the worst of the dust off. You probably don't need to wash it at all if you are lazy.

Throw in chicken and bring to a boil. I usually use about a kilo for this amount. Two 500g birds here since they were on sale.

Add roughly chopped onions and a shitload of garlic. You don't have to mince it if you don't want to.

Let that simmer until the chicken is cooked through.

Remove your chicken and engage in the wonderful process of picking the meat off it (save the remains for stock, you didn't cook anywhere near all the flavor out of them). Add the rice to the pot and let it cook for half an hour or so, it should be falling apart and making the whole thing thick when it's done. Now is the time to start salting to taste.

This is also where I do nontraditional things. For this batch I added some fish sauce, black pepper, red pepper, MSG, and lime juice. If you want vegetables, add them toward the end to cook to appropriate doneness. I threw in some red cabbage for this batch, which made it a little purple. You can do anything you want, throw in whatever vegetables you have sitting around. Think of it like soup, it's a good clean the fridge meal. Once the rice is cooked, add the chicken back in.

And serve. I added some shredded gim on top. You would also top with green onion now, if you have it (I did not).

One note about juk if you've never made it: juk is like lava, I've never seen another food that retains heat as well. Be careful with it, and cooling it down to store takes a while.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Awesome, I love Korean food and would like to make more of it than I have. I try to generally try and keep a batch of kimchi around most of the time because I loving love the stuff, but I had some questions about kimchi jigae/chigae/etc.

Usually I usually saute my meat(unless I'm doing canned tuna), garlic, and onions in a mixture of sesame/vegetable oil then dump a bunch of kimchi, water, and a bit of whatever meat-broth I have laying around in. I'll throw in soy sauce and/or fish sauce to taste. I like the taste a lot, but I don't get the color/thickness/opacity right. I realize I'm not using gochujang, which might be a terrible sin, but is there anything else I'm missing?

Doenjang and gochujang is your answer. You need both and skip the meat broth. Doenjang adds a lot of glutamate to the mix so you don't really need the broth - in fact, meat broth I find can actually muddle the flavor. Also cubed pork belly, butt, or shoulder is the meat of choice, and it shouldn't be seared. As GF said, just stick all of it in a pot and boil it until the pork is cooked. If you want to get fancy, put in some green onions (the white portion goes in to boil, but the green part gets put in right at the end so that it's just barely blanched), straw mushrooms, and a few slices of daikon.

quote:

I've also had a bit of an issue finding the ground chili powder that's a reasonable amount of heat when making kimchi. It's either barely hot, or brutal enough that I won't be able to eat it. I've taken to using like a quarter or third of the really hot one the recipe calls for, and then using red pepper flakes for the remainder.

Korean ground chili powder is made from a specific variety and also contains no seeds. There isn't really a substitute for this. Try to find the correct chili powder. Stuff made with other chili flakes never taste quite right...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can't wait for a kimchi post, as well as korean short ribs.

As an owner of a Korean designed Smart television, it came with a Korean streaming cultural app called Arirang TV.
There is a food-specific set of videos regarding Korean foods called "Tales of Hansik".
One of them explains the custom of small side dishes served with the meal, as a newly opened local restaurant does near me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mind sharing? I've never known what the deal with the side dishes was

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 6, 2013

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
The worst Korean dish is Cheonggukjang; I am generally fine with fermented soybean products like natto for example but cheonggukjang takes the pungency to a new level that is just disgusting.

Grand Fromage posted:

It lasts a very long time in the fridge. I would throw it out and buy a new one if it's that old, some things aren't worth dying for.

My main complaint about Korean food is how boring it is. There's no use of subtle flavor, everything has one overpowering flavor and there are only three choices in that flavor category: spicy, sweet, or gross. But, I live in Korea so it's easy to get bored with the food when it's everywhere and has little variety.

You forgot to add vinegar to your flavor category, i.e. mul naengmyun but I'm in agreement that most Korean cooking is just smacking tastebuds with one dominant flavor. Yet, there are a few dishes out there that don't follow the same philosophy: ganjang gaejang, korean sashimi with kenyip (not talking about the flavorless ice-cold sashimi that Koreans for some perverse reason love to eat but I've forgotten the Korean name for it) and yook hwe. There is hope out there for Korean food but maybe David Chang can stop trying to master Japanese dishes (Ippudo is worse than the yattai I found next to the Ikebukuro JR station) and maybe try to instead re-invent Korean dishes.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Furious Lobster posted:

There is hope out there for Korean food but maybe David Chang can stop trying to master Japanese dishes (Ippudo is worse than the yattai I found next to the Ikebukuro JR station) and maybe try to instead re-invent Korean dishes.

Not to be nitpicky but I am fairly sure David Chang doesn't run Ippudo, it's a Japanese run chain store. He owns the Momofuku group of restaurants.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Speaking of David Chang, has anyone else tried the Momofuku kimchi recipe? I don't like it at all, it doesn't taste anything like what I expect from kimchi and not in a good way. I don't know if it's just me.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

hallo spacedog posted:

Not to be nitpicky but I am fairly sure David Chang doesn't run Ippudo, it's a Japanese run chain store. He owns the Momofuku group of restaurants.

Yeah, I meant to say Momofuku Noodle Bar, which was one of the downsides of posting late at night.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Korean food! My buddies mom is korean, she invites us over to eat sometimes and I have had her over.

Its amazing the difference. Her food tastes great but somehow there is only one pot. I guess its the pot she threw everything into and boiled it until it was dead. I always have like 5 pans and pots dirty and she always tells me my food tastes good, has Korean flavors but isnt Korean. Something about it not being boiled to death I suppose. She likes my bulgogi alot though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Furious Lobster posted:

Yeah, I meant to say Momofuku Noodle Bar, which was one of the downsides of posting late at night.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I actually kinda like Ippudo on the other hand but that is neither here nor there.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I can't fathom having dakjuk (or samgaetang) without having some ginseng or other root/medicinal herbs(?) in there... Dates as well, usually stuffed in the chicken. Otherwise the broth is just too bland esp with the rice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Mind sharing? I've never known what the deal with the side dishes was

It's the last vid in the playlist; "Banchan, to stimulate the appetite, and provide balance with bap (rice).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

I can't fathom having dakjuk (or samgaetang) without having some ginseng or other root/medicinal herbs(?) in there... Dates as well, usually stuffed in the chicken. Otherwise the broth is just too bland esp with the rice.

I hate ginseng so I don't do it that way. It is bland in its basic form, which is why I usually add more stuff to spice it up. I've never actually seen ginseng or herbs of any kind in juk, but I've only gone out for it a few times.

Actually this time I didn't stir much and ended up with a layer of burned rice at the bottom, not like dolsot bibimbap crispy but black as hell. However, the entire juk tasted really smoky and was awesome, so I'm going to try to do that again next time.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
How long do rice sticks stay good once opened? Any good recipes that involve them other that dalkgalbi? (which I will TOTALLY make again but am curious).

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

EVG posted:

How long do rice sticks stay good once opened? Any good recipes that involve them other that dalkgalbi? (which I will TOTALLY make again but am curious).

Throw em in the freezer and it's indefinitely.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

A good beginner Korean cooking website is: http://www.maangchi.com/

Her recipes can be a bit on the simpler side, but it's a good intro to cooking in ~ the land of the morning calm ~

For funsies, I recently made the Momofuku Bo Ssam

Pork shoulder/butt with a salty sugary crust.

Good party food.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Seluin posted:

A good beginner Korean cooking website is: http://www.maangchi.com/

Her recipes can be a bit on the simpler side, but it's a good intro to cooking in ~ the land of the morning calm ~

For funsies, I recently made the Momofuku Bo Ssam

Pork shoulder/butt with a salty sugary crust.

Good party food.

My mom and I made that recipe for her Superbowl party last year. I can also affirm it's goodness.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Requesting a small batch simple kimchi recipe. On the scale of a single head of napa cabbage.

Tried to make kimchi once, and I think I overdid it on the garlic/ginger/leek because it tasted like burning tires.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Yay! A Korean thread! I cook a ton of Korean food despite not living in Korea and not being Korean. I can't even read the language. I've tried kimchi a few times and failed horribly.

I love maangchi, but I also use Beyond Kimchii, My Korean Kitchen, and Korean Bapsang.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Requesting a small batch simple kimchi recipe. On the scale of a single head of napa cabbage.

Tried to make kimchi once, and I think I overdid it on the garlic/ginger/leek because it tasted like burning tires.

No no you nailed it. (I hate kimchi.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You in th'wrong thread son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

The Sriracha Cookbook has a recipe scaled to that, though I find it too hot for more than a small amount at any time.
I really need to try actual Korean chile powder.

1 Nappa cabbage (~1kg)
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 gallon water (~3.784L)

Cut nappa how you prefer, and throw into bowl
Add salt, toss, and wait two hours
Add the gallon of water, leave overnight up to 24hrs
Drain thoroughly, (I squeeze mine too) then add:

6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1.5 tsp ginger, grated
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup sriracha :supaburn:
6 green onions, including white parts sliced
1 large carrot, grated

Mix thoroughly, then cover and leave at room temp for 2-3 days.
Put into containers and refrigerate

The book says it'll last six months... but I always run out before then.

• Locked thread