Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

mich posted:

Requote because it hasn't seemed to sink in with the white people.

Tofu is not a meat substitute, it is its own thing that is eaten for its own flavor.

Was this really necessary? I just looked back at the thread and seem to have missed the posts where "white people" argued that tofu is only used as a meat substitute.

Am I not getting the emails from White People HQ?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
THis is my favorite thing to eat in the world:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dububuchim-yangnyeomjang

Its probably because my mom made it at least once a week and her sauce is so delicious.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pea greens kimchi: good idea, or potentially the stinkiest thing ever? Or both?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Pea greens kimchi: good idea, or potentially the stinkiest thing ever? Or both?

Do it!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

This is literally all the approval I needed. :korea:

e: we need a Korea emoji DAMMIT

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There is one already. :japan:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
:kimchi:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

There is one already. :japan:

:drat:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Someone give me an awesome jjimdalk recipe.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Hey thread, while drinking waay too much and eating sundubu-jigae (however it's spelled) with my Korean roommates yesterday, one of them showed me a clip from a 2012 commercial, and he's trying to figure out which song starts about halfway through. He insists it's Korean, which wouldn't really put me in a position to help him, but it really sounds like English. Anyone remember that commercial, or possibly that song, by any chance?

Shazam doesn't really help due to the gentlemen ranting on about stuff halfway through, so any other ideas to identify the song, or even what exactly those lyrics in the short bit are, would help. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfbM66q2oE

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I received 2 dolsots as a gift. Bibimbap is obvious, but what other dishes would you use them for?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Think of it as a great way to reheat leftovers, that dry heat crisping up anything you put in

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of jjigaes are served in hot dolsots.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Is gim usually the seaweed (apparently not a seaweed???) added to bibimbap? When I've had it at a restaurant before it's had some seaweed on it but I can't remember if it was that.

Is gim used as a garnish? I've got 8 packets of the roasted with sesame oil stuff so I need to find ways to use it. It's tasty - very savory and slightly oceanic.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Eeyo posted:

Is gim usually the seaweed (apparently not a seaweed???) added to bibimbap? When I've had it at a restaurant before it's had some seaweed on it but I can't remember if it was that.

Is gim used as a garnish? I've got 8 packets of the roasted with sesame oil stuff so I need to find ways to use it. It's tasty - very savory and slightly oceanic.

Yes and yes! Gim is just nori, the same as sushi seaweed.

Gim is good on:

Eggs!
Pasta with butter!
Feeshes!
Veggables!
ERRTHING

And it ain't half bad on a hot dog, neither.

Oh, and sometimes I use gim in place of lettuce when I eat ssambap.

e: holy poo poo that means "gim bap" but IT'S NOT GIMBAP AAAAAAH

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Does anyone have any experience with Soju and fruit vinegar based cocktails? There's a local Korean bar/karaoke place that makes a cocktail that uses a raspberry vinegar and Soju and it's loving delicious, but I haven't been able to watch them make it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Soju and fruit vinegar based cocktails? There's a local Korean bar/karaoke place that makes a cocktail that uses a raspberry vinegar and Soju and it's loving delicious, but I haven't been able to watch them make it.

By raspberry vinegar, do you by any chance mean bokbunja?

e: I realize this is a dumb question because you didn't see them make it. My point is, maybe it's bokbunja.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

By raspberry vinegar, do you by any chance mean bokbunja?

e: I realize this is a dumb question because you didn't see them make it. My point is, maybe it's bokbunja.

I just recently tried bokbunja and I'm not sure that's it- The menu lists it as a shrub, so there's gotta be vinegar somewhere, and I've seen "drinking" vinegar at the local Korean market in similar flavors so I figured that could be it.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I just recently tried bokbunja and I'm not sure that's it- The menu lists it as a shrub, so there's gotta be vinegar somewhere, and I've seen "drinking" vinegar at the local Korean market in similar flavors so I figured that could be it.

The drinking vinegars are basically shrubs. With 흑식초 instead of white wine vinegar or apple cider. Have a raspberry shrub and you're set.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Well, I just learned what a shrub is!

e: aaaaargh for some reason, my latest batch of kimchi is too soft. What can I do with super-soft kimchi besides jigae?

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 13, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Kimchi jeon and fried rice?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Kimchi jeon and fried rice?

Oh, yeah, forgot about kimchi jeon!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Does the traditional onggi perform better at making kimchi than other vessels? I'm interested in getting a nice fermentation vessel, but I need to figure out what kind to get first. There's the onggi, western european crocks (which have an airlock seal), and modern jars fitted with fermentation airlocks.

The internet claims onggi have some kind of porous structure which aids in fermentation, but I can't tell if that actually does anything.

I'd be making kimchi/kkakdugi/sauerkraut just for myself, so I don't need anything too big.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nationalist nonsense. Get one if you think they're cool but not because it's any different than any other kind of jar. There's locking plastic tupperware box things made in Korea that most people use. They have a good lock and seal to keep the kimchi smell inside.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Not nationalist nonsense entirely. Properly made (and expensive) onggi are porous and in theory store bacteria and mold for different things so you wouldn't want to switch between makgeolli, kimchi, and doenjang. A lot are made with non porous glaze so if you don't want to keep it active to keep up the bacteria and keep it from drying out and keep it outside or somewhere away because of smell and the need to keep it cool then get a glass or nice plastic container.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I went on a foraging run recently and came away with an entire basket full of few flowered leek. Decided to give it a shot in my first home made kimchi and holy poo poo did it turn out delicious. I used this recipe with the ramps substituted with few flowered leek (and like every recipe I follow ended up tweaking stuff on the fly).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll probably either get some western-style one done by an artisan state-side or one of those plastic tub ones. I like the look of the onggi but I won't try real hard to find a good one.

Also, I'd never heard of few flowered leek. Does it taste leeky?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Found half a jar of kimchi in the back of my fridge. Best guess is it's between 12-18 months old. Smells fine, looks fine, and texture seems about the same as I remember from around last fall. Reading this thread I feel confident that I won't die if I eat it but I wanted to double check here.

Thoughts?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably fine, might be too sour (but some people like it better that way)

As long as you don't see/smell any mold you're good

I have year old kimchee in my fridge now in fact

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 7, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. If it's not moldy and hasn't turned into some sort of weird slimy liquid it's fine.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Does mild gochujang exist?

I went to a kbbq place and had soybeans in gochujang but it was more sweet than it was spicy, and I couldn't stop eating it. Mixed well with the salad too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mild how? Sweet and not especially spicy is how it normally is. I have not noticed any real taste differences between brands, it's quite standardized.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Revitalized posted:

Does mild gochujang exist?

I went to a kbbq place and had soybeans in gochujang but it was more sweet than it was spicy, and I couldn't stop eating it. Mixed well with the salad too.

Sounds like regular gochujang to me. Do you usually find it too spicy? You can try mixing in a bit of sesame oil, if it is.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Maybe it was doenjang?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Wait no, it's just right, I don't know what I was thinking.

Is it typically mixed with anything if I just want to eat it with a salad?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yes, grilled pork belly.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I like to mix it with miso or doenjang for ssam. Also good mixed with some minced or puréed Asian pear for the same purpose.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Straight gochujang on a salad seems overwhelming. I can't recall seeing anything like that before, but you could try to mix with soy sauce, oil, vinegar, a bit of sesame oil, maybe a touch of miso and get a decent dressing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

If you like straight gochujang, trying eating it on some fresh tofu. It's gooood.

For a salad dressing, though, I'd thin it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
On the subject of overwhelming gochujang, my boyfriend last week used an entire goddamn tub to make soondubu jjigae.

While technically still edible, it was not a rendition lending itself to eager slurping.

• Locked thread