Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
gochujang is so loving mild

it's like half as spicy as a basic tobasco, dunno how it could overwhelm anything.

my fav is to mix it with a little sesame oil and eat blanched broccoli with it, hella good. when I was a kid our local hibachi restaurant served straight gochujang with its vegetable "course", which got me and my mum hooked, she'd always ask for extra to take home. but, she never could figure out "what that spicy asian sauce was".

the year I connected the dots and gave her a surprise squeeze bottle of gochujang for christmas was maybe the best christmas. gochujang and xmas ham son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gochujang isn't spicy but the flavor is strong. It's pretty common in Korea for people to use way too much and completely drown more delicate flavors of vegetables or fish.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is yeotkireum the same thing as nuruk?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No. Nuruk has yeasts and molds and stuff for the fermentation, yeotgireum is just malt powder used for its flavor.

If you can't find nuruk there are guides for making your own on the googles, it's a minor pain in the rear end but not terribly difficult.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 15, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

No. Nuruk has yeasts and molds and stuff for the fermentation, yeotgireum is just malt powder used for its flavor.

If you can't find nuruk there are guides for making your own on the googles, it's a minor pain in the rear end but not terribly difficult.

I can find nuruk pretty easily these days, but a new recipe I was checking out mentioned yeotgireum and I wasn't really sure about that one; I've used it for sikhye but hadn't thought much about it til now. I was confused since nuruk starter looks a lot like it contains barley, and yeotgireum is labeled as barley malt flour. Thanks for clearing that up!

Actually, while we're on the subject, is nuruk ever used for anything besides makgeolli?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Is kkakdugi fermented shorter than kimchi? I just mixed up a batch and most places say like a day or two then put it in the fridge.

Is it mostly just eaten as is (i.e. banchan), or could I make it into dumplings or something?

Also, how do people drink soju? Just take shots of it? I impulse-purchased a half bottle at the liquor store today.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's eaten as is but go hog wild. I've never made it so don't know about the fermentation time.

The pro way to drink soju is pour it down the drain and buy a bottle of makgeolli instead.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe if it's the 80 proof soju you can use it to disinfect your pot??

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've had kkakdugi in soup but mostly it just seems to be a banchan thing? Idk do what your heart tells you.

Soju: get frozen fruit, fruit juice or punch, pour it all together, die of alcohol poisoning. 0/10 would not again.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Also, how do people drink soju? Just take shots of it? I impulse-purchased a half bottle at the liquor store today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxGYfh3SXI

Also, gently caress the haters, I can down soju all day long, it's delicious as gently caress. :colbert:

kkakdugi is only like 2 days max for me on the counter. That's ready to eat super fast.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 17, 2017

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok I'll pull it after 1.5 days, it'll probably go a little slow since it's winter.

I guess I'll have to get a shotglass for the soju then. Thankfully it's only 17.5% so it can't be that bad.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Eeyo posted:

Thankfully it's only 17.5% so it can't be that bad.
That's what they all say

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Friend is asking me about a banchan that's thiny sliced onions in a brown sauce. Common at barbecue restaurants. I don't know the name or how to make it, anyone got an idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Grand Fromage posted:

Friend is asking me about a banchan that's thiny sliced onions in a brown sauce. Common at barbecue restaurants. I don't know the name or how to make it, anyone got an idea?

양파절임?

• Locked thread