Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The vinegar/sesame/sugar is weird in that, not normal in kimchi. But you can do whatever you want with kimchi recipes, that's part of the fun.

I don't follow a recipe, just play around, but usually the garlic/ginger will be roughly equal volume. Gochugaru is a matter of taste, how much heat you like. You want a lot of salt to preserve it, you can use a similar technique to making sauerkraut. Salt the cabbage until it's a bit saltier than you'd want to eat, that's going to be about right and should keep it from going bad. Just a bit though, because the fish sauce is going to add more salt. I've seen fish sauce ranging from a tablespoon to half a cup.

Koreans don't really make kimchi by the single head, but what you can do is mix up the paste and add it until everything has a coating, that should be about the right amount. Any extra you can use for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A lot of people use a paste mixed with mochiko for kimchi, right? Or did I imagine that...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've seen rice flour in recipes on the internet, but I've never seen it in Korea. Kimchi is the kind of thing where every grandma has her own recipe though, so I wouldn't discount it as a thing that exists somewhere. I personally have never used it or seen any reason to.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen rice flour in recipes on the internet, but I've never seen it in Korea. Kimchi is the kind of thing where every grandma has her own recipe though, so I wouldn't discount it as a thing that exists somewhere. I personally have never used it or seen any reason to.

I know the Maangchi lady does, but yeah, it seemed a little strange to me as well. I've never made kimchi but I should probably give it a try at some point.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In kimchi making season the street markets give you a good idea of what goes into kimchi. What I see in mine is: napa cabbage, daikon radish, shredded carrot, green onions, gochugaru, fish sauce, saeujeot, salt, minced ginger, minced garlic.

You can futz with it as much as you like but for basic Korean kimchi (people usually make both cabbage and daikon kimchi, separately though), that's what you need.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Grand Fromage posted:

Speaking of David Chang, has anyone else tried the Momofuku kimchi recipe? I don't like it at all, it doesn't taste anything like what I expect from kimchi and not in a good way. I don't know if it's just me.

I made it about a year ago (still in the back of the fridge, is it safe? Is that question in defiance of the concept of kimchi at its core? I don't know)

I can say it was way too heavy on the sugar, you could easily cut the amount in half. Also, there might be a bit too much ginger for my tastes. I wouldn't mind somebody posting a good generic kimchi recipe since I assume everyone has their own signature spin on it.

axolotl farmer posted:

Requesting a small batch simple kimchi recipe. On the scale of a single head of napa cabbage.

Tried to make kimchi once, and I think I overdid it on the garlic/ginger/leek because it tasted like burning tires.

I think the Momofuku kimchi recipe is one head of cabbage, you can find it online and cut back on the sugar. Keep in mind the volume of cabbage you'll end up with is a lot smaller than the head of raw cabbage, the end product probably makes like a quart

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 23, 2013

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've made kimchi based on one of Maangchi's recipes before, and the mochiko is just to thicken the paste a bit. You can't actually taste it in the finished product. That said, I never really make kimchi because I like it much better when it's fresh than when it's fermented, so it tends to sit in the fridge forever and never gets finished.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
To what extent is saeujeot integral to the flavor of kimchi? I've eaten plenty and like it, but I don't recall ever actually seeing any in it. Is shrimp paste more common in commercial recipes?

I have nothing against the flavor, but I don't generally enjoy the texture of whole shrimp.

I make daeji bulgogi pretty regularly and seeing a Korean food thread is pretty sweet. Going to try making some kimchi this week.

tehpango
Sep 27, 2005
Famicontra
My Korean kitchen manager from the sushi place I used to work at told me that his favorite kimchi has no shrimp or anchovy paste. Use only fish sauce for that signature funkiness.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I've heard of some people putting in the Korean equivalent of sprite for some acidic bite, but seeing as I heard that from someone my age, that might lead to a crazy-sweet kimchi.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I finely chop and pound some dried Chinese anchovies and dump in there, can't live without it.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Guess I'll use two containers and try one with just fish sauce and the other with ground/pound shrimp or anchovy and let the taste buds decide. Thanks.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Any other lovers of soondubu jigae (aka soft tofu soup)? A Korean friend at work introduced me too it - I worked my way up to 5 star authentic. I'm disappointed if I order it and it doesn't make me sweat (which is sadly all too often.)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

monster on a stick posted:

Any other lovers of soondubu jigae (aka soft tofu soup)? A Korean friend at work introduced me too it - I worked my way up to 5 star authentic. I'm disappointed if I order it and it doesn't make me sweat (which is sadly all too often.)

Completely love soondubu, eat it probably twice a week every week. I really want to post my recipe in the next few days when I have a chance.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Archer2338 posted:

I've heard of some people putting in the Korean equivalent of sprite for some acidic bite, but seeing as I heard that from someone my age, that might lead to a crazy-sweet kimchi.

Does that have preservatives in it? I've gotta imagine it has, at least, sodium benzoate. That's gonna keep all the wonderful things that make kimchi wonderful from growing. If not, then the sugar would :getin:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

hallo spacedog posted:

Completely love soondubu, eat it probably twice a week every week. I really want to post my recipe in the next few days when I have a chance.

Yes, please do! I love soondubu. I feel like I really haven't perfected the art of it yet.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Troll posted:

To what extent is saeujeot integral to the flavor of kimchi? I've eaten plenty and like it, but I don't recall ever actually seeing any in it. Is shrimp paste more common in commercial recipes?

I have nothing against the flavor, but I don't generally enjoy the texture of whole shrimp.

I make daeji bulgogi pretty regularly and seeing a Korean food thread is pretty sweet. Going to try making some kimchi this week.

I actually asked my mom about this while I was back home. I never really thought about this because there are never any visible shrimp or anything inside kimchi when you eat it. Basically, during the fermentation process, all the saeujeot just melts away.

This could all be pretty glaringly obvious but I guess I never really thought about it till the other day.

edit:
Forgot to mention I asked her also about putting sugar in kimchi. She says a bit of sweetener is sometimes added when making kimchi to counterbalance the bitterness of baechu not from Korea. Because apparently baechu (Napa Cabbage, 배추) in the US is a bit more bitter than in Korea. But you don't necessarily have to use sugar. You can use like maeshil (plum juice, 매실즙) in place of sugar.

Cizzo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 26, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That may be the folk wisdom but through SCIENCE! we know salt blocks bitter taste receptors, and given the amount of salt in kimchi there should be no reason to try to cover any bitterness with sugar. I also suspect the entire thing is nationalist nonsense but can't prove that either way.

E: As for the saeujeot if you don't like it, leave it out. I would say fermentation, gochugaru, and maybe garlic are the sine qua non of kimchi. Everything else is up to taste. Even then, there is fresh unfermented kimchi or mul kimchi with no gochugaru, so. Feel free to do whatever you want and experiment.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 27, 2013

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Anyone have a good Dakdoritang recipe? I am planning on making this recipe tomorrow and want to know if it seems legit.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Tonight I steer away from the usual and order haejangguk, which translates to "hangover soup" - this had blood sausage and beef brisket (along with lots of bean sprouts and some greens), in a really tasty broth. Of course I had some Hite to go with it. Good stuff.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry, I hadn't had time for a while to do this, but now here is my recipe for Soondubu!
Actually it is J. Kenji López-Alt's recipe from Serious Eats but over many times using it, I have tweaked it a little.

Ingredients (including my additions)

Soondubu Ingredients by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
1 four-inch-square piece kombu kelp
1/2 cup small dried anchovies
1 knob of ginger
5-6 dried shiitake mushrooms
1/2 pack of enoki mushrooms
16 oz kimchi from container
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 dash sesame oil
1/2 pound thinly sliced pork belly
6 scallions, greens and whites reserved separately
4 cloves garlic, grated or finely diced
2 to 3 tablespoons gochujang (I use 3)
1.5 tablespoon usukuchi soy sauce
2 to 4 tablespoons kochukaru (I use 3)
24 ounces (or 2 packages) soft silken tofu, roughly broken
4 eggs

First make some rice!

Wash that Rice by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
I'm not going to explain this part.

Second, the stock!

Stock Pot by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
Put your kombu and anchovies, roughly sliced ginger and dried shiitakes in a decent sized pot as I have illustrated above. Put 1qt water over it. Bring it to a simmer and then simmer it for 5-10 more minutes. Let stand while you prepare the other ingredients, then strain the solids out. You can toss the ginger. You can either toss the konbu, or shred it and eat it/use in Japanese food, or what have you. You can also save the anchovies.

Give a few to your sous chef!

My sous chef! by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
You can also dry these out, toast them in a pan with sesame oil, then when they are nice and toasted at 1Tbsp each mirin and toasted white sesame seeds, and stir and eat it over rice.

Shiitakes by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
However save the shiitakes, remove the stems and slice them. They will go back into your soondubu, so set them aside.

Drain the kimchi in a fine mesh strainer set over a small bowl, squeezing to remove as much liquid as possible. Roughly chop kimchi and reserve kimchi and juice separately. Mise en place that stuff with all your other ingredients! I thinly slice the whites of the scallions and roughly chop the greens.

Ingredients by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

De-skin your pork belly. Do whatever you want with the skin, but I don't use it usually for anything, I throw it away.

Pork Bellies by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
Slice thinly.

Find a wide shallow kind of pan. Heat the canola oil and a few drops of sesame oil in the pan over medium-high heat.

Bellies, onions, garlic and kimchee by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
Add pork belly and cook, stirring constantly, until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Add scallion whites, garlic, and chopped kimchi. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add the kimchi juice, gochujang, and soy sauce. Cook until vegetables are well-coated in even layer of sauce.

Cooking by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

Add strained broth, kochugaru. Crush the tofu roughly with your hands and put it all in. Add all the mushrooms here. Stir gently and heat until boiling.

Tofu crushed by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
You can add extra kochugaru or soy sauce as per your tastes. Some people don't think that kochugaru belongs in soondubu, but I like it. Some people put fish sauce instead.

Remove from heat and add eggs. sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve immediately while still boiling, gently stirring eggs into the broth.

Done! by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

Pour yourself a well-deserved beer and eat your delicious soondubu! I recommend drinking an IPA personally.

With Beer by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

Here's a close up! It was delicious.

Close up by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Looks a lot different than the sundubu I've had before, have to try that.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks a lot different than the sundubu I've had before, have to try that.

It definitely takes a ton of liberties, but I love the way it turns out.
Also, it's a lot redder in person, not sure why it looks so pale orange in the photos!

VVV I agree with that totally, I think when I have it at restaurants, it's boring because they're using water or a really thin stock. The super umami stock ingredients give it a ton of depth that I've never tasted at a restaurant before. Anchovies and kombu are the Serious Eats recipe's idea but the shiitake and ginger are my own. VVV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

It definitely takes a ton of liberties, but I love the way it turns out.
Also, it's a lot redder in person, not sure why it looks so pale orange in the photos!

I'm fine with the liberties, when I've had sundubu before it was usually boring. Just the gochugaru should help a lot.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
That looks quite good! If it's redder in person, it's probably pretty close to what I expect of a Korean soondubu :) (Oh, and soondubu in America tastes different than what I have in Korea, for some reason)
I don't cook anything other than soybean-paste soup myself, but I know some others make seafood-soondubu with shrimp and shellfish for flavor, and that definitely has a taste of its own.
Oh, and the broth thing is definitely something that's useful in a bunch of Korean dishes; broth from kombu and anchovies also tastes awesome for stuff like dduk-guk (ricecake soup) or some noodle dishes.

And for the pork belly skin? Grill it over a hot fire and then drink with soju! It's really popular to have cooking on the side at grilled-pork restaurants while the ssamgyupsal is cooking and whatnot.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Archer2338 posted:

And for the pork belly skin? Grill it over a hot fire and then drink with soju! It's really popular to have cooking on the side at grilled-pork restaurants while the ssamgyupsal is cooking and whatnot.

Thanks for the tip. I really hate wasting food, I just never really knew what to do with skin before. Do you need to clean it better than a rinse? Those little hairs, will they burn off?

EDIT: now that I think of it I guess I have used it before, when I make buta no kakuni you just leave it on.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 3, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks for the tip. I really hate wasting food, I just never really knew what to do with skin before. Do you need to clean it better than a rinse? Those little hairs, will they burn off?

EDIT: now that I think of it I guess I have used it before, when I make buta no kakuni you just leave it on.

Just make pork rinds!

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/10/27/puffed-snacks-1-wherefore-the-puff/

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
Just chew on it and try not to think how similar it must feel to chewing on human skin.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

hallo spacedog posted:

I actually don't know how to prep it, since it just usually comes out with the rest of the meat I ordered... It might require something slightly more than a water rinse, since the pork smell might be a bit strong if you just take the skin and cook it right away.
Some other places have the pork skin in marinade before cooking, too.

Judging by the state of the pork skin that is served, I'm guessing the hair is cut (shaved? :v:) or torched off with something before. Then again, I've also been to places where the hair is still on there, so dunno. I don't mind either way if the hairs aren't obscenely long.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

hallo spacedog posted:

Crackling! It's the best part of doing anything with pork that has skin on. Stop throwing the skin away, it has the chance to be one of the most delicious things.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That is a really good idea, and I use pork bellies enough that I should start doing this. Can they be frozen and fried later or no? I would rather save several skins and then do a large batch at once.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Grand Fromage posted:

The kimchi that my grandmother makes always has that fresh and refreshing flavor and crunch to it that I just can't ever replicate and it makes me mad! It's literally grandma magic since I've gotten her recipe and method.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

hallo spacedog posted:

That is a really good idea, and I use pork bellies enough that I should start doing this. Can they be frozen and fried later or no? I would rather save several skins and then do a large batch at once.

Yes.

Also, brush them with booze to make them EXPLODE with awesomeness. You want them nicely denatured. Soooo gooood. The China thread really sells it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

anyone got a good recipe for japchae?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Came here to post this. A good korean friend of mine introduced me to this stuff years ago and I cant get enough of it. We move around a lot and the resturant hunting involves a good bar, a german place, and sundubu.

People hear tofu soup and get the wrong idea. Its as savory as any stew...pure comfort food.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I've been making kimchi for a couple of years now, and completely leave out the fish products. My brother's a huge fan of the stuff, and does his lazy version when I'm not around. I'll go there about twice a year when he needs a re-up, and make him cabbage, daikon, carrot, and Brussels Sprouts kimchis (in different containers). With the leftover brine, he'll just chuck more veggies in, and it sort of pickles it in a couple of days on the counter (after the normal salting and washing step is complete, of course). Every now and again, he bumps up the red pepper flakes (he uses the Indian extra hot kind, because he likes it super spicy). He really /really/ hates sweet kimchi, so I avoid adding sugar to his batches ever. When I made it at the restaurant, I used apple juice to grind up the onions/garlic/ginger.

In the past, I've kimchi'd mizuna, kale, savoy cabbage, red radishes (the colour washes out a bit), beets, and pretty drat near any other vegetable I could get my hands on. They all take on different flavours, and they're special in their own way. :kimchi:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I still haven't tried my kimchi'd green beans or asparagus, trying to get a handle on basic cabbage first. Also I don't have that kind of money right now, asparagus is not cheap in Korea.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'd say skip the asparagus, and stick with green beans. Seriously.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Why? Asparagus plus kimchi flavoring seems a perfect fit to me. I don't know about the fermentation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Do it. Pickled asparagus is great. I think it would be awesome.

• Locked thread