Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Jjajangmyeon seems like an odd thing to hate. I could see being like "eh" about it, but hate? Even with Tangsooyook? Ah well, I'll chalk it up to some kind of traumatic experience.

I make delicious and awesome soondubu, will have to wait to post when I return from vacation in a week though.

EDIT: VV A traumatic experience like that! VV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Furious Lobster posted:

There is hope out there for Korean food but maybe David Chang can stop trying to master Japanese dishes (Ippudo is worse than the yattai I found next to the Ikebukuro JR station) and maybe try to instead re-invent Korean dishes.

Not to be nitpicky but I am fairly sure David Chang doesn't run Ippudo, it's a Japanese run chain store. He owns the Momofuku group of restaurants.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Furious Lobster posted:

Yeah, I meant to say Momofuku Noodle Bar, which was one of the downsides of posting late at night.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I actually kinda like Ippudo on the other hand but that is neither here nor there.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

EVG posted:

How long do rice sticks stay good once opened? Any good recipes that involve them other that dalkgalbi? (which I will TOTALLY make again but am curious).

Throw em in the freezer and it's indefinitely.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Seluin posted:

A good beginner Korean cooking website is: http://www.maangchi.com/

Her recipes can be a bit on the simpler side, but it's a good intro to cooking in ~ the land of the morning calm ~

For funsies, I recently made the Momofuku Bo Ssam

Pork shoulder/butt with a salty sugary crust.

Good party food.

My mom and I made that recipe for her Superbowl party last year. I can also affirm it's goodness.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A lot of people use a paste mixed with mochiko for kimchi, right? Or did I imagine that...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen rice flour in recipes on the internet, but I've never seen it in Korea. Kimchi is the kind of thing where every grandma has her own recipe though, so I wouldn't discount it as a thing that exists somewhere. I personally have never used it or seen any reason to.

I know the Maangchi lady does, but yeah, it seemed a little strange to me as well. I've never made kimchi but I should probably give it a try at some point.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

monster on a stick posted:

Any other lovers of soondubu jigae (aka soft tofu soup)? A Korean friend at work introduced me too it - I worked my way up to 5 star authentic. I'm disappointed if I order it and it doesn't make me sweat (which is sadly all too often.)

Completely love soondubu, eat it probably twice a week every week. I really want to post my recipe in the next few days when I have a chance.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry, I hadn't had time for a while to do this, but now here is my recipe for Soondubu!
Actually it is J. Kenji López-Alt's recipe from Serious Eats but over many times using it, I have tweaked it a little.

Ingredients (including my additions)

Soondubu Ingredients by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
1 four-inch-square piece kombu kelp
1/2 cup small dried anchovies
1 knob of ginger
5-6 dried shiitake mushrooms
1/2 pack of enoki mushrooms
16 oz kimchi from container
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 dash sesame oil
1/2 pound thinly sliced pork belly
6 scallions, greens and whites reserved separately
4 cloves garlic, grated or finely diced
2 to 3 tablespoons gochujang (I use 3)
1.5 tablespoon usukuchi soy sauce
2 to 4 tablespoons kochukaru (I use 3)
24 ounces (or 2 packages) soft silken tofu, roughly broken
4 eggs

First make some rice!

Wash that Rice by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
I'm not going to explain this part.

Second, the stock!

Stock Pot by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
Put your kombu and anchovies, roughly sliced ginger and dried shiitakes in a decent sized pot as I have illustrated above. Put 1qt water over it. Bring it to a simmer and then simmer it for 5-10 more minutes. Let stand while you prepare the other ingredients, then strain the solids out. You can toss the ginger. You can either toss the konbu, or shred it and eat it/use in Japanese food, or what have you. You can also save the anchovies.

Give a few to your sous chef!

My sous chef! by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
You can also dry these out, toast them in a pan with sesame oil, then when they are nice and toasted at 1Tbsp each mirin and toasted white sesame seeds, and stir and eat it over rice.

Shiitakes by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
However save the shiitakes, remove the stems and slice them. They will go back into your soondubu, so set them aside.

Drain the kimchi in a fine mesh strainer set over a small bowl, squeezing to remove as much liquid as possible. Roughly chop kimchi and reserve kimchi and juice separately. Mise en place that stuff with all your other ingredients! I thinly slice the whites of the scallions and roughly chop the greens.

Ingredients by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

De-skin your pork belly. Do whatever you want with the skin, but I don't use it usually for anything, I throw it away.

Pork Bellies by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
Slice thinly.

Find a wide shallow kind of pan. Heat the canola oil and a few drops of sesame oil in the pan over medium-high heat.

Bellies, onions, garlic and kimchee by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
Add pork belly and cook, stirring constantly, until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Add scallion whites, garlic, and chopped kimchi. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add the kimchi juice, gochujang, and soy sauce. Cook until vegetables are well-coated in even layer of sauce.

Cooking by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

Add strained broth, kochugaru. Crush the tofu roughly with your hands and put it all in. Add all the mushrooms here. Stir gently and heat until boiling.

Tofu crushed by wanderinghyena, on Flickr
You can add extra kochugaru or soy sauce as per your tastes. Some people don't think that kochugaru belongs in soondubu, but I like it. Some people put fish sauce instead.

Remove from heat and add eggs. sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve immediately while still boiling, gently stirring eggs into the broth.

Done! by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

Pour yourself a well-deserved beer and eat your delicious soondubu! I recommend drinking an IPA personally.

With Beer by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

Here's a close up! It was delicious.

Close up by wanderinghyena, on Flickr

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks a lot different than the sundubu I've had before, have to try that.

It definitely takes a ton of liberties, but I love the way it turns out.
Also, it's a lot redder in person, not sure why it looks so pale orange in the photos!

VVV I agree with that totally, I think when I have it at restaurants, it's boring because they're using water or a really thin stock. The super umami stock ingredients give it a ton of depth that I've never tasted at a restaurant before. Anchovies and kombu are the Serious Eats recipe's idea but the shiitake and ginger are my own. VVV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Archer2338 posted:

And for the pork belly skin? Grill it over a hot fire and then drink with soju! It's really popular to have cooking on the side at grilled-pork restaurants while the ssamgyupsal is cooking and whatnot.

Thanks for the tip. I really hate wasting food, I just never really knew what to do with skin before. Do you need to clean it better than a rinse? Those little hairs, will they burn off?

EDIT: now that I think of it I guess I have used it before, when I make buta no kakuni you just leave it on.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 3, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That is a really good idea, and I use pork bellies enough that I should start doing this. Can they be frozen and fried later or no? I would rather save several skins and then do a large batch at once.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That was totally 100% soondubu, it sounds like to me as well. The recipe I posted is a great 20-30 minute easy winter meal.
If you want to get really fancy with it you can buy a stone bowl at H-Mart and heat it on your stove.

Gravity: Maangchi has a pretty good japchae recipe, but I haven't made it more than 1-2 times. (http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

tynam posted:

Also, the Korean sashimi is referred to as hoe, pronounced "hweh". I wasn't very fond of it when I had it in Busan, but I was a stupid kid back then so what did I know.

I have heard that, unlike Japanese sashimi, Koreans like to eat hoe more freshly killed, so the flesh is in a kind of rigor mortis. It's tougher/harder, but that's just how it's preferred there apparently.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When I was a teenager I went through this phase where I would buy yeot all the time. I like the taste but man is that stuff hard to eat.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

The yellow powder stuff is pretty good, I don't know what the name of it is.

The roasted soybean powder stuff that tastes kind of nutty? In Japanese at least it's kinako but no idea of the Korean name.
That stuff is great. I made kinako ice cream with soy-sauce-salted butter caramel sauce last summer, and it was amazing.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shadowhand00 posted:

Its called odeng in Korean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaboko

For more information. Its usually cooked with soy sauce and some other stuff, slightly sweet as a result.

I really love those flat fried ones they always have at Korean restaurants, and the big satsuma-age from Japanese oden as well.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

With the suggestion to fry them crispy, not the gloopy poo poo Koreans like. The crispy texture is much more pleasant for non-Korean palates.

On that note... beware, cake flour doesn't work in pajeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

With juice, if you have the tastebuds of a middle school girl. (just kidding, it is good that way) You can also mix it with Calpis and soda water, which was my favorite drink in high school.

Japanese drink it in cold oolong tea sometimes which is actually pretty good.

• Locked thread