Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can't wait for a kimchi post, as well as korean short ribs.

As an owner of a Korean designed Smart television, it came with a Korean streaming cultural app called Arirang TV.
There is a food-specific set of videos regarding Korean foods called "Tales of Hansik".
One of them explains the custom of small side dishes served with the meal, as a newly opened local restaurant does near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Mind sharing? I've never known what the deal with the side dishes was

It's the last vid in the playlist; "Banchan, to stimulate the appetite, and provide balance with bap (rice).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Requesting a small batch simple kimchi recipe. On the scale of a single head of napa cabbage.

Tried to make kimchi once, and I think I overdid it on the garlic/ginger/leek because it tasted like burning tires.

The Sriracha Cookbook has a recipe scaled to that, though I find it too hot for more than a small amount at any time.
I really need to try actual Korean chile powder.

1 Nappa cabbage (~1kg)
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 gallon water (~3.784L)

Cut nappa how you prefer, and throw into bowl
Add salt, toss, and wait two hours
Add the gallon of water, leave overnight up to 24hrs
Drain thoroughly, (I squeeze mine too) then add:

6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1.5 tsp ginger, grated
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup sriracha :supaburn:
6 green onions, including white parts sliced
1 large carrot, grated

Mix thoroughly, then cover and leave at room temp for 2-3 days.
Put into containers and refrigerate

The book says it'll last six months... but I always run out before then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

isn't it with pork and kimchi then called kimchi jjigae?

content:

made some oi-sobagi yesterday

Ooh, cucumbers! I have to try that next time!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Man Yam posted:

Sometimes my mother complains that her fresh kimchi was salted too long and hence not as crunchy. How long do you let your cabbage sit after salting? Depending on what she's making, mom will let the cabbage sit in salt anywhere from 4-6 hours to overnight and then soak/rinse in fresh water.

The (only) recipe I've used says two hours before soaking. I find it to be pretty crunchy.
In fact, the white heart/spine of the leaves are my favourite part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

So i noticed my local asian mart had those rice cake noodle things, and tried my hand at Tteokbokki (Ddeokbokki, Topokki, Dukbokki- whatever).

I used the recipe from Eat Your Kimchi (Ex-firm tofu instead of fish cakes); finished with a nice sticky barbecue sauce consistency. Super hot to start, but it mellows out as it cools.
The rice cakes have a texture like nothing I've ever eaten except maybe... dense marshmallows? Tapioca pearls? :raise:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 6, 2015

• Locked thread