Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tynam
May 14, 2007

Timid posted:

:aaa: I love me some cheonggukjang. But I totally see why people don't like it. There's just something about it for me that makes it so 맛있어.

I recall smelling cheonggukjang for the first time on the first floor of a highrise apartment. The poo poo was being made 9 floors up. By the family I was tutoring for. Needless to say I skipped that day. I can't even imagine the reaction you'd get if you made it outside Korea.

Also, the Korean sashimi is referred to as hoe, pronounced "hweh". I wasn't very fond of it when I had it in Busan, but I was a stupid kid back then so what did I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tynam
May 14, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I've had hoe many times (it's the standard meal when the boss takes you out to show off how rich they are) and never had any I liked. It's always chewy and flavorless. Koreans really like chewy and flavorless things, they're all over the cuisine.

It's not that they like flavorless things, they just like dousing everything in face-punching sauces. They definitely like the chewy stuff though, but some of that stuff is amazing. Jwipo roasted over fire and served with mayo is loving delicious with some beers.

tynam
May 14, 2007

pandaK posted:

While we're on the topic, I just absolutely cannot stand beondegi, which is a snack made out of boiled silkworms. They don't even taste that bad, but the godforsaken smell is atrocious.

I think that's a common theme with lots of Korean food. Smells like poo poo but tastes pretty good.

Grand Fromage posted:

That doesn't explain stuff like ddeok, though.

Hence the sauce drenching, like ddeokbokki. I really don't see any flavorless aspect to Korean food unless you pick it apart and eat it in a way it wasn't really intended to be consumed. I did grow up eating Korean food though, so I'm probably biased as hell.

Korean gum is terrible, absolutely agree there. Just chew on some dried squid instead! That was actually the weirdest thing I experienced in Korean movie theaters - the smell of dried squid everywhere instead of popcorn.

• Locked thread