Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Troll posted:

To what extent is saeujeot integral to the flavor of kimchi? I've eaten plenty and like it, but I don't recall ever actually seeing any in it. Is shrimp paste more common in commercial recipes?

I have nothing against the flavor, but I don't generally enjoy the texture of whole shrimp.

I make daeji bulgogi pretty regularly and seeing a Korean food thread is pretty sweet. Going to try making some kimchi this week.

I actually asked my mom about this while I was back home. I never really thought about this because there are never any visible shrimp or anything inside kimchi when you eat it. Basically, during the fermentation process, all the saeujeot just melts away.

This could all be pretty glaringly obvious but I guess I never really thought about it till the other day.

edit:
Forgot to mention I asked her also about putting sugar in kimchi. She says a bit of sweetener is sometimes added when making kimchi to counterbalance the bitterness of baechu not from Korea. Because apparently baechu (Napa Cabbage, 배추) in the US is a bit more bitter than in Korea. But you don't necessarily have to use sugar. You can use like maeshil (plum juice, 매실즙) in place of sugar.

Cizzo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Its called odeng in Korean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaboko

For more information. Its usually cooked with soy sauce and some other stuff, slightly sweet as a result.

It can also be referred to as 어묵 or "eo-mook". This is what I've been hearing it referred to as nowadays at least in a push for Koreans to stop using words for things that are derived from other languages.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Eeyo posted:

How do you usually prepare barley tea (bori cha I think)? I bought a bag of loose roasted barley for tea, but I'm seeing a lot of different things when I searched. The bag says 5 minutes of boiling, but I've seen up to 20 minutes online. Is it a matter of taste? Will steeping it longer have more bitterness? I've been using about 1 1/2 tsp for a regular coffee mug.

I also saw whole roasted corn tea at the same store. Is that pretty similar?

I was usually taught just to bring the water to a boil and then cover the surface of the water with the barley. Then turn the stove off, cover, and let it sit. Seems to work pretty well and I usually add more barley because I like it extra bitter. I'm not a huge fan of the corn one because it's really sweet. Not a a fan of it.

• Locked thread