Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Grand Fromage posted:

Fish with no ice in summer
:stare: What city do you live in where this is the case, GF? I know at least in Seoul/Bundang the open-air markets keep fish over ice, and the GIANT 노량진 seafood market even keeps a lot of the fish in tanks. Are you more out in the provinces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I can't fathom having dakjuk (or samgaetang) without having some ginseng or other root/medicinal herbs(?) in there... Dates as well, usually stuffed in the chicken. Otherwise the broth is just too bland esp with the rice.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I've heard of some people putting in the Korean equivalent of sprite for some acidic bite, but seeing as I heard that from someone my age, that might lead to a crazy-sweet kimchi.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
That looks quite good! If it's redder in person, it's probably pretty close to what I expect of a Korean soondubu :) (Oh, and soondubu in America tastes different than what I have in Korea, for some reason)
I don't cook anything other than soybean-paste soup myself, but I know some others make seafood-soondubu with shrimp and shellfish for flavor, and that definitely has a taste of its own.
Oh, and the broth thing is definitely something that's useful in a bunch of Korean dishes; broth from kombu and anchovies also tastes awesome for stuff like dduk-guk (ricecake soup) or some noodle dishes.

And for the pork belly skin? Grill it over a hot fire and then drink with soju! It's really popular to have cooking on the side at grilled-pork restaurants while the ssamgyupsal is cooking and whatnot.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks for the tip. I really hate wasting food, I just never really knew what to do with skin before. Do you need to clean it better than a rinse? Those little hairs, will they burn off?

EDIT: now that I think of it I guess I have used it before, when I make buta no kakuni you just leave it on.

I actually don't know how to prep it, since it just usually comes out with the rest of the meat I ordered... It might require something slightly more than a water rinse, since the pork smell might be a bit strong if you just take the skin and cook it right away.
Some other places have the pork skin in marinade before cooking, too.

Judging by the state of the pork skin that is served, I'm guessing the hair is cut (shaved? :v:) or torched off with something before. Then again, I've also been to places where the hair is still on there, so dunno. I don't mind either way if the hairs aren't obscenely long.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

hallo spacedog posted:

I have heard that, unlike Japanese sashimi, Koreans like to eat hoe more freshly killed, so the flesh is in a kind of rigor mortis. It's tougher/harder, but that's just how it's preferred there apparently.

Yeah, this is pretty accurate. AFAIK, the Japanese let the fish sit/ferment a bit so the flesh becomes softer, while Koreans like it fresh as possible for the chewiness. When you eat sashimi in Japan, the meat sort of melts in the mouth, because that's what the Japanese prefer. In Korea, people want a firm texture, so you have chefs serving you fish that's literally been filleted minutes before. Koreans equate firmness/chewiness with freshness with 회, so unless you go to a legitimate, traditional Japanese restaurant, that's the kind you'll get.

As for the "flavorless" part - I agree with the poster some posts above me in saying that you guys are probably not eating it right. Gwang-uh (flatfish) is kinda flavorless, but that's because you're supposed to eat it with soysauce+wasabi or with cho-gochujang. Tuna belly is pretty savory but expensive. And none of you have had raw abalone (jeonbok) or sea pineapple (meong-gae), apparently, because those two are pretty strong in flavor. The latter feels like Poseidon himself is slapping your tongue if you get a fresh enough one.

I'm also a fan of squid and 고등어(dunno what it is in English) sashimi, but it's less commonly available.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Odeng/eomuk goes wonderfully in spicy ddukbokgi along with the rice cakes, BTW.

Regarding the word: yeah I think it's just trying to use less Japanese words when there's a Korean word available. I personally hear odeng much more often in everyday speech, but it wouldn't be weird or anything to hear eomuk instead.

Oh, and I'm sure you can get "variety packs" of different kinds of odeng as well, if the flat ones get boring. If you make odeng-tang (not quite sure if there's a recipe beyond boil odeng in water w/ some kind of fish broth (anchovies? dashima?)) it's really nice in the winter. Or add some in to your otherwise boring instant udon/ramen.

I also love getting odeng from the numerous street carts (and they'll give you the broth in a paper cup on the side) during the winter. Probably unhygienic as gently caress, but hey, it's street food. :shobon:
Nowadays they seem more rare, but that may be because I no longer go to school and so don't hang out in the same places.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

EVG posted:

I have leftover rice sticks from making dalkgalbi. What can I use them in or eat them with for deliciousness? Last time they just sat in the fridge until they got slimy. :(

If it's the long, cylindrical kind: just toast/warm slightly (on your stove, or in microwave) until the outside is crunchy/slightly yellowed. Then pour some sugar on a plate and dip the rice sticks in. Simple snack :v:

But yeah, ttukbokki is a pretty good use too, esp since you should have most of the ingredients from the dakgalbi recipe.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Grand Fromage posted:

With the suggestion to fry them crispy, not the gloopy poo poo Koreans like. The crispy texture is much more pleasant for non-Korean palates.

Hell, even I like the non-traditional fried kinds. When I eat normal pajeon I tend to eat the edges (most crispy) :shobon:
That Hanjan recipe looks pretty interesting, but it looks closer to tempura than an actual pajeon... Also, the Chinese version of scallion pancakes is quite different as well (more... bread-like?) - at least the ones I've had in the states. Anyone had experience in making those? I'd love for my pajeon to be uniformly crispy.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

sink the biz posted:

I do mine cold brew - just take like 3-4 packets and chuck them into a gallon container of cold water. Let it steep overnight in the fridge and you're good to go.

This is my preferred method as well. Like the above goon, this was basically the substitute for drinking water when I was growing up.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

That Old Ganon posted:

When I was in middle school I once made friends with a new neighbor that moved in. I would go over to his house and every single time without fail when his mom would see me she'd cook something for me to take home. It was done in a skillet, and looked like it could've been an omelet because of how yellow it was. When I would taste it, though, it was bready and kind of chewy. I remember eating it and liking it, but it would get old pretty fast and usually wouldn't finish it.

Would anyone be able to tell me the name of that dish, or is the description of it too vague?

Similar to omelet has me thinking 계란말이? Kind of similar to an omelet except it's rolled up and then cut into pieces much like kimbap. Eggs, some greens, and cheese was usually in my mother's recipe.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

MonkeyBot posted:

I thought soju was pretty decent. We just drank it straight and I had to be advised to place my glass upside down if I no longer wanted it filled. I drank a lot of soju on y 2 day trip.
That's.... odd. I think the usual way is to not empty the glass entirely? It's considered rude if you let someone's glass stay empty, but it's also considered rather coercive if you fill a not-emptied glass.

And I totally agree that soju, if you HAVE to drink it for whatever reason, is best drank by itself since it's the quickest way to drink it. It's not bad with Gopchang, though.

It also pisses me off that Soju costs like $10-15 per bottle in restaurants over here in the states. The gently caress?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
매실청 is pretty great when you dilute it with water and put it on ice. My favorite summer drink, with ice cold barley tea coming in second.
Mixing the maesil concentrate with barley tea also works, and gives a slightly different taste. Give it a try!

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

DontAskKant posted:

Okay so I'm tardy on this and I don't have my own blog post yet, so I'm dropping this here.

http://kimchimari.com/2013/07/21/green-plum-syrup-%EB%A7%A4%EC%8B%A4%EC%B2%AD-maesil-chung/

Her romanization is pretty bad, but it's a pretty standard recipe and the only English one I've found online.

The basic process is to take some fruit and layer it in a 1:1 ratio by weight of fruit and sugar being a bit heavier on sugar for most things. You can do it with citrus, onions, figs, plums, apples, quince almost anything. Eggplant is actually supposed to be interesting as a syrup added to savory things. This produces a syrup that goes through a diastatic fermentation and is a little sour sometimes. It will produce some co2 but isn't carbonated. Shouldn't be boozy, that's another drink tradition.

After 90-100 days you'll have a syrup to use for hot or ice tea or to add to marinades.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I'm taking the stems off the second 10kg batch. It's taking forever and I keep on getting too drunk by 2 hours in. I probably don't need to, but I don't really understand sunk costs it seems.

This is really awesome, btw. My grandmother gives me a bottle when she makes a batch, and it is awesome for all seasons. I personally love it during the summer when I dilute the concentrate with some ice and water (or barley tea!), but the problem is making it last till summer :P

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There was some Korean noodle soup I was trying to recall: a soda style noodle like a ramen noodle, thin sliced beef, kimchi in the soup, and a relatively clear broth that was slightly acidic and slightly sweet but still savoury. I have no idea what to look for when it comes to recipes, but I'd rather like to make something like that tonight since I have a bunch of bok choy kimchi that's getting really ripe in the fridge that I'd like to use up to make more room for new batches soon. Any ideas?

Naengmyun?
If it had clear broth, it's probably 물냉면:

If you like kimchi/spicy stuff, I'd recommend 비빔냉면:

Less broth, more thick 고추장-based sauce that you mix the noodles in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I guess I didn't think to compare it to naengmyun, since that's cold noodles and what I was thinking of was served hot. Similar flavor profile, though. I suppose it would be like hot naengmyun but with extra kimchi and maybe some charred onions instead of fresh vegetables.

Somehow I missed the part about the dish being hot :v: My bad.
Still, it's a great time for naengmyun!

• Locked thread