Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Awesome, I love Korean food and would like to make more of it than I have. I try to generally try and keep a batch of kimchi around most of the time because I loving love the stuff, but I had some questions about kimchi jigae/chigae/etc.

Usually I usually saute my meat(unless I'm doing canned tuna), garlic, and onions in a mixture of sesame/vegetable oil then dump a bunch of kimchi, water, and a bit of whatever meat-broth I have laying around in. I'll throw in soy sauce and/or fish sauce to taste. I like the taste a lot, but I don't get the color/thickness/opacity right. I realize I'm not using gochujang, which might be a terrible sin, but is there anything else I'm missing?

I've also had a bit of an issue finding the ground chili powder that's a reasonable amount of heat when making kimchi. It's either barely hot, or brutal enough that I won't be able to eat it. I've taken to using like a quarter or third of the really hot one the recipe calls for, and then using red pepper flakes for the remainder.

Red pepper flakes and no gochujang, I'm making GBS threads this thread up already, aren't I? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

bringmyfishback posted:

Maangchi is the best for everything!

This for the most part. I'll look up other recipes online from time to time to see if there are other ways to do things that I may prefer but I'm a big fan.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Does anyone have any experience with Soju and fruit vinegar based cocktails? There's a local Korean bar/karaoke place that makes a cocktail that uses a raspberry vinegar and Soju and it's loving delicious, but I haven't been able to watch them make it.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

By raspberry vinegar, do you by any chance mean bokbunja?

e: I realize this is a dumb question because you didn't see them make it. My point is, maybe it's bokbunja.

I just recently tried bokbunja and I'm not sure that's it- The menu lists it as a shrub, so there's gotta be vinegar somewhere, and I've seen "drinking" vinegar at the local Korean market in similar flavors so I figured that could be it.

• Locked thread