Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Awesome, I love Korean food and would like to make more of it than I have. I try to generally try and keep a batch of kimchi around most of the time because I loving love the stuff, but I had some questions about kimchi jigae/chigae/etc.

Usually I usually saute my meat(unless I'm doing canned tuna), garlic, and onions in a mixture of sesame/vegetable oil then dump a bunch of kimchi, water, and a bit of whatever meat-broth I have laying around in. I'll throw in soy sauce and/or fish sauce to taste. I like the taste a lot, but I don't get the color/thickness/opacity right. I realize I'm not using gochujang, which might be a terrible sin, but is there anything else I'm missing?

Doenjang and gochujang is your answer. You need both and skip the meat broth. Doenjang adds a lot of glutamate to the mix so you don't really need the broth - in fact, meat broth I find can actually muddle the flavor. Also cubed pork belly, butt, or shoulder is the meat of choice, and it shouldn't be seared. As GF said, just stick all of it in a pot and boil it until the pork is cooked. If you want to get fancy, put in some green onions (the white portion goes in to boil, but the green part gets put in right at the end so that it's just barely blanched), straw mushrooms, and a few slices of daikon.

quote:

I've also had a bit of an issue finding the ground chili powder that's a reasonable amount of heat when making kimchi. It's either barely hot, or brutal enough that I won't be able to eat it. I've taken to using like a quarter or third of the really hot one the recipe calls for, and then using red pepper flakes for the remainder.

Korean ground chili powder is made from a specific variety and also contains no seeds. There isn't really a substitute for this. Try to find the correct chili powder. Stuff made with other chili flakes never taste quite right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread