Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nervana
Dec 9, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

Hello Korean Thread. I have a somewhat interesting problem and I was wondering if someone here would be able to help me out. The commercial building I just started leasing was previously owned by a Korean family that fled the country this spring due to Immigration issues and tax evasion. Apparently you can't import and distribute vinyl awnings for campers tax free, who knew? They left behind all kinds of stuff, including kids clothes, cases of expired Chapaghetti, a 50 pound bag of Korean short grain rice that was unfortunately full of moth larvae, 5KG of anchovy powder (could this still be good? 5KG would retail for like $50 here, and the bag is still sealed), and like five pounds of moldy Doenjang. They also left this:

It's a 220V Samsung Pressure Rice Cooker that was definitely intended for the South Korean market. I'm guessing that they must not have realized before coming over that the US doesn't use 220V Mains power for small appliances, so it was thrown in a closet and promptly forgotten. In fact, the empty box for a 120v Zojirushi rice cooker was sitting right next to it.

It looks like a nice unit, and the rice cooking bowl is really heavy cast steel. I already rewired it for a 30 AMP US 220V dryer plug, since my laundry room is right by my kitchen, and I was able to power it up, but it would really be helpful if I actually knew what the buttons on the front did. Could someone here possibly translate the control panel? Has anyone here used a Korean pressure rice cooker before, and are there any tips on getting the best results out of one? I tried looking for a korean language manual on Samsung Korea's support website, but the model number came up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's a high res shot of the controls:

(Please excuse my lovely phone photography)

I'll give it a shot. From top left, counterclockwise:

keep warm/cancel
reheat
schedule(ie. cook at a later time)
menu
I. pressure cook/ II.quick cook

the small light top left of the last button says "pressure" (ie. chamber is pressurized)

For the lights in the middle the top line is the "menu" fuction and the thing above 8 says mixes grains, thing above 10 says brown rice. I can't make out the other 3.

Bottom row is for the "schedule" function and numbers stand for hours (my guess is e.g. 4 is for "start 4 hours later").

I can't give you any advice on how to use it well though, I can hardly get mine to work so I'll leave it to somebody else.

edit: it says "white rice" on 4, "gamasot" which is the old style pot used to cook rice over 6, and "steam" on top of the 12

nervana fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I'm thinking maybe japchae-bap(rice) but it isn't quite what you are describing.

• Locked thread