Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I live next to a bangin' Korean grocery store. While I'd love some more recipes, I am also interested in basic Korean cooking techniques and how to "think" while cooking Korean food. Things like "wok hei" in Chinese cooking or "It's PAPRIKA not tomatoes" for Hungarian or "the answer is always roux" in cajun cooking. That kind of thing that a novice might overlook and/or not understand the significance of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Archer2338 posted:

I've heard of some people putting in the Korean equivalent of sprite for some acidic bite, but seeing as I heard that from someone my age, that might lead to a crazy-sweet kimchi.

Does that have preservatives in it? I've gotta imagine it has, at least, sodium benzoate. That's gonna keep all the wonderful things that make kimchi wonderful from growing. If not, then the sugar would :getin:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

hallo spacedog posted:

That is a really good idea, and I use pork bellies enough that I should start doing this. Can they be frozen and fried later or no? I would rather save several skins and then do a large batch at once.

Yes.

Also, brush them with booze to make them EXPLODE with awesomeness. You want them nicely denatured. Soooo gooood. The China thread really sells it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Archer2338 posted:

Similar to omelet has me thinking 계란말이? Kind of similar to an omelet except it's rolled up and then cut into pieces much like kimbap. Eggs, some greens, and cheese was usually in my mother's recipe.

Are we 100% certain that it was a Korean dish? It sounds like bahn xeo to me. It looks like an omelette but it actually a fried pancake. And is very delicious.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Korea is known for its love of Burritos and cheese.

• Locked thread