Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone have a Samgyetang recipe that they've tried and liked? I'm feeling adventurous and want to try making some. Also I have a fuckton of dried jujubes that I don't know what to do with.

Also, any suggestions for making leftovers of any soups? I find they never hold up overnight or when I have to take them to work the next day :(

I like Maanchi's samgyetang recipe, though I usually omit the ginseng. It's a little hard to get fresh ginseng if you don't live where it's grown (and if you try to pick it wild, you might get shot at for poaching :yayclod:). I add a couple slices of ginger and some chestnuts instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Shnooks posted:

Good to know! Hers was really the only one I could find, and the other recipe I saw was basically a copy of hers.

And yeah, I have no idea where to find fresh ginseng. I'm pretty sure it's nowhere around here.

The only kinds I've ever seen sold are dried or preserved, so they're not really the best for the recipe. Samgyetang kits (some Korean grocers will sell them!) usually have some strips of dried ginseng. It's not unpleasant, but it adds nothing and doesn't taste like much or have an interesting texture.

Do try using the sticky rice instead of short grain. If you can buy sticky rice from a bulk bin, you can get just the amount you want instead of a five pound bag. I like to stuff jujubes or dried goji berries into the chicken's cavity along with the sticky rice and a garlic clove. (My samgyetang isn't too authentic.)

Speaking of, has anyone else made sikhye? It's actually stupid easy if you have a rice cooker. Plus you can have all the little fluffy rice bits in it you want if you make your own. The leftover stuff is kind of like mutant amazake.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Shnooks posted:

I've never made sikhye but I want to. How do you do it with a rice cooker?

Maangchi explains! You can cut the recipe down (half, quarter, whatever). I haven't had any bad results doing so. Definitely do not leave the sikhye in the cooker for too long, or you'll get a nasty hooch instead. It isn't strictly necessary to add the sugar, but I find that the final product is more consistent from batch to batch if you do. You also don't have to do the boiling bit; that halts fermentation, which is good if you won't finish drinking your batch for a few days.

There's also a related recipe in Growing up in a Korean Kitchen, but I can't find my copy for some reason. It's probably buried right now. I've been cleaning, which involves making an even bigger mess than there was before. :iiam: I really like this book, though.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm making Maangchi's makgeolli. Got approximately 6 days left until the hooch is done. Pretty excited about this!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So why does maangchi cook, dry, and then rehydrate?

I imagine the partial drying step is just to encourage osmotic pressure later, when you add the water, yeast, and nuruk/amylase. The drying step isn't a complete dry, just partially.

Another goon's doing a batch and we've been comparing notes; I partially dried the rice, he didn't. My rice made the "cake" layer, his didn't. We didn't start on the same day, but it would be interesting to see approximately how long it took for his rice grains to break down by comparison.

Totally non-scientific anecdata here, though.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Definitely don't use bags, they will burst from the power of kimchi fermentation farts and leave a gory spatter of fetid pickle juice for you to clean up. Mason jars are good. Tupperwares will work if you don't mind staining from the gochugaru.

I just made some tongbaechu this past weekend. One thing to remember? Leave a good amount of space behind in your fermentation vessel of choice. Don't fill it to the top or you will learn the meaning of regret.

Oh!

My makgeolli turned out great. I haven't uploaded photos from my camera yet. We didn't take pictures of every stage because Maangchi's video handled that perfectly well.

The fermentation went without a hitch. No infection or failure. I have to say, if you feel like a starter project for brewing, her makgeolli recipe is the way to go. I used real sugar for the sweetening stage; I actually ended up using more than Maangchi suggested (a scant half cup rather than a quarter cup). I don't really have a sweet tooth, so I was surprised. Maybe mine simply ended up a bit more sour/alcoholic. Of course, this led to additional fermentation after bottling, so my makgeolli was lightly carbonated. I avoided bottle bombing, though. The flavor improved on day 2 after the sugar addition. Overall, it was a really pleasant drink and couldn't be easier to make.

The other goon doing it backsweetened (is that the term?) with Splenda, so he wound up with little/no carbonation. His was also successful and evidently a real hit at a party he took it to!

I'm doing a second batch now. This one deviates from Maangchi's recipe; I added a sweet potato based on a tangent in The Art of Fermentation and I also had to make up some grain volume with the addition of ~1/8th cup barley when I unexpectedly fell short on rice. We'll see how this goes. Probably will be ready Monday.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

DontAskKant posted:

Also there's a makgeolli brewing group on Facebook that the brewing school I teach at is affiliated with. Don't like to cross SA and Facebook streams but it's incredibly helpful as the people who run it (I help out) are getting their certifications in Korea for makgeolli making.

That is really cool. I'll have to look it up, thanks!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

EVG posted:

Finally managed to locate gochugaru - and now I have a 1lb bag of it.

What should I create?

Gochujang :kheldragar:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Tias posted:

Yass, but not strong enough! Choices.. I should just make kimchis constantly.

This is the correct choice.

I finally finished off a mountain of kimchi and it's time to make a brand new batch...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Personally I'm crazy about vegetarian mutton and I'm not a vegetarian. There's good stuff in the soybean and gluten textured food zone.

If you want to do vegan Korean food, though, it's worth looking into Korean Buddhist food. Temple food is largely vegan. It shares some things in common with shojin ryori and Chinese Buddhist cuisine.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

NLJP posted:

Tofu owns

Fried tofu is my favorite thing, and there's nowhere to get it fresh around here. Actually, there's nowhere to get fresh tofu here period. It's all bland or bad supermarket tofu. :sigh:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Kimchi jeon and fried rice?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I like to mix it with miso or doenjang for ssam. Also good mixed with some minced or puréed Asian pear for the same purpose.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Is yeotkireum the same thing as nuruk?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

No. Nuruk has yeasts and molds and stuff for the fermentation, yeotgireum is just malt powder used for its flavor.

If you can't find nuruk there are guides for making your own on the googles, it's a minor pain in the rear end but not terribly difficult.

I can find nuruk pretty easily these days, but a new recipe I was checking out mentioned yeotgireum and I wasn't really sure about that one; I've used it for sikhye but hadn't thought much about it til now. I was confused since nuruk starter looks a lot like it contains barley, and yeotgireum is labeled as barley malt flour. Thanks for clearing that up!

Actually, while we're on the subject, is nuruk ever used for anything besides makgeolli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've had kkakdugi in soup but mostly it just seems to be a banchan thing? Idk do what your heart tells you.

Soju: get frozen fruit, fruit juice or punch, pour it all together, die of alcohol poisoning. 0/10 would not again.

• Locked thread