Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Archer2338 posted:

:stare: What city do you live in where this is the case, GF? I know at least in Seoul/Bundang the open-air markets keep fish over ice, and the GIANT 노량진 seafood market even keeps a lot of the fish in tanks. Are you more out in the provinces?

In my parts of Seoul and in Suwon they don't usually have ice either. You live in fancy Seoul.

Seluin posted:

A good beginner Korean cooking website is: http://www.maangchi.com/

Her recipes can be a bit on the simpler side, but it's a good intro to cooking in ~ the land of the morning calm ~

For funsies, I recently made the Momofuku Bo Ssam

Pork shoulder/butt with a salty sugary crust.

Good party food.

God dammit Chang :argh:
Bossam that is roasted, ha. No ovens in Korea, traditionally it would be boiled or steamed no crunch at all to it. Not sure what to call that recipe, but nobody here would call that bossam except for the method of serving. Then again, I just had a roast chicken in that style so maybe I can include that too under poo poo we're making up.

Hassle me about doing a write up later when I have a working computer. Been fermenting various Korean things for years I have 10+ fermented things in my cupboard now. My market in Seoul (average age there is probably 60 if it's a young day) has a bunch of old stuff that most of my older coworkers have even forgot about. Like... did you know there is a kind of Korean sichuan peppercorn, it's used, just not often.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

There's supposed to be a mak joint on line 4 that has a kind of lambic makgeolli from a culture he has in a cave in Gapyeong. Also, yes. Lummox and i used to do weekly to bi-monthly makgeolli dates, which is something we could start up again.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

An addition to sites to watch for recipes.
http://koreancookinglab.com

A primer on the spring greens that are already on their way out though depending where you live you could see them in May.

http://seoulistmag.com/articles/read/bom_namul_a_taste_of_spring

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Is that enough time to break down the connective tissue in the ribs? Or are they still a bit chewy?
Have you tried without blanching? Or with browning them in the western style?

Thing that always throws me is the boiling of meat and the boiling and rinsing or soaking or washing to get rid of the 'smell'. Try a side by side of different methods maybe and report back. -TIA

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

That's our idea though, the explanation we hear may be "because of meat smell", but a lot of Koreans we know don't really know how to cook and voiced reasons for things don't always overlap with the original reason. If you can swing using two small pots instead it might be a good experiment. Boil and no boil. Then another with browning.

I always end up cooking Korean food through the lens of French cooking. The first time I tried to eat kong namul guk bap 콩나물국밥 I didn't really know how to eat it so i seasoned the egg yolk with the condiments and added the boiling broth to the yolk bit by bit to make a savory custard to dip the bean sprouts in. Obviously not the traditional method.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

If there's interest I'll do a primer on making Korean fermented teas. It's almost Korean plum/maesil/매실 season and that means little old ladies hauling carts with 50kg of sugar and 50kg of fruit.

The Korean fermented teas are usually fruit mixed with sugar and let sit for at least 30 days for some like quince and lemon and up to 10 years for some 매실청. They are usually mixed with hot water or cold water and served with ice (this is new). I've been turning yuja tea into fast hot toddies and the unripe peach version is great as a whisky cocktail. Used in culinary stuff too. I'd suggest ignoring most of the health cures they purport to have though.

Don't worry non Asia living folk there is stuff you can do too. Just tell me where you live and I can tell you what you can use.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Why would you want to get rid of the part that has the most flavor? :psyduck:

What part do you think has the most flavor? If you aren't browning it, clarifying meat is not unheard of. What's odd is that most of the dishes that do that add other things that cause you to lose that visual clarity. Especially with 'messy' butchery i could see why you want to get some impurities out.

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm in southern California, and I am crazy interested in this.

Oh man, basically anything works for you down there especially if you have a k town. Do you have a projected farmers market list put out by the city? What people are planning to grow?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

The fat. They're not clarifying any sauces here. The combination of never browning meat and removing as much fat as possible just seems like blandness. I guess that's why you cover it in so much gochujang you couldn't taste the meat anyway.

Or I'm making up for a misspent youth of cutting fat off things.

There's plenty of fat in things. It's in a layer on top.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

But if you're boiling the fat out and discarding the liquid?

I mean when I make a soupy thing and the pork is fattier than I want, I cut the excess fat off before cooking and save it for flavoring other stuff.

Well that's because you come from a culture where food is sometimes hard to come by and you were taught to make the most of it.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Do you guys want pictures with the process? I can tell you how now, or you can wait for pictures.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The corn silk is also used for tea. I'm not entirely sure about the prep for that, but you could start saving and dry those. The toasted barley for the tea is not the same as roasted barley used for brewing.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Okay so I'm tardy on this and I don't have my own blog post yet, so I'm dropping this here.

http://kimchimari.com/2013/07/21/green-plum-syrup-%EB%A7%A4%EC%8B%A4%EC%B2%AD-maesil-chung/

Her romanization is pretty bad, but it's a pretty standard recipe and the only English one I've found online.

The basic process is to take some fruit and layer it in a 1:1 ratio by weight of fruit and sugar being a bit heavier on sugar for most things. You can do it with citrus, onions, figs, plums, apples, quince almost anything. Eggplant is actually supposed to be interesting as a syrup added to savory things. This produces a syrup that goes through a diastatic fermentation and is a little sour sometimes. It will produce some co2 but isn't carbonated. Shouldn't be boozy, that's another drink tradition.

After 90-100 days you'll have a syrup to use for hot or ice tea or to add to marinades.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I'm taking the stems off the second 10kg batch. It's taking forever and I keep on getting too drunk by 2 hours in. I probably don't need to, but I don't really understand sunk costs it seems.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Archer2338 posted:

This is really awesome, btw. My grandmother gives me a bottle when she makes a batch, and it is awesome for all seasons. I personally love it during the summer when I dilute the concentrate with some ice and water (or barley tea!), but the problem is making it last till summer :P

If you do what I do it'll last. Make batches from 20kg of fruit.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

God dammit, mold in the maesil cheong! This is what happens when you don't aerate and let the sugar settle and compact.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Where did you have it? What province? Gangwon?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Los Angeles.

Okay yeah that makes more sense. Didn't sound like a dish in Korea.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Did anyone watch The Kimchi Chronicles? The host has a series of 'webisodes' out now called Kimchi Goddess. Can't attest to the quality and it does look a bit... not my style, but thought I'd throw it out there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah a fermentation at high heat like that only takes me a couple days. Higher the heat and longer the time , the faster it will become sour. I wouldn't actively heat it, but room temp like that will get it going fast. In my 30C Korean apartment it starts gushing out of a container in 2 days. The long fermentations for storage are for underground or chilled fermentations. If you want more juice, use less rice powder as that will give you more of a 'sauce'.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Seafood things will give it a more authentic flavor. I've made vegan kimchi before and it has been great. I use fish sauce usually as a milder version of the squid/oyster/shrimp versions.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah the texture is half the point of eating it. At least over here.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

RedTonic posted:

I'm making Maangchi's makgeolli. Got approximately 6 days left until the hooch is done. Pretty excited about this!

Interested in how her recipe turns out. Studying and teaching at one of the academies and its potentially very complex. Beer was a heck of a lot less effort.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Me too. I wonder why the rice is cooked, then dried, then rehydrated again. It can't be malting or anything, can it?

Nah. Nuruk had the enzymes to malt and the yeast and bacteria to convert to alcohol all at the same time. You are constantly converting and "malting".

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

My first kimchi was a vegan one that I modified from a David Lebovitz recipe. Didn't have Korean chilies so I used a mix of cayenne and paprika. It was surprisingly good. Don't let anyone bully you into making it exactly to a certain recipe as the only real kimchi. Hell the kimchi "master" I was talking to adds a bunch of MSG. I've been making it for restaurants and home for 7 years and people have had it in Korea frequently and praise it until they find out it's made by a white guy. Make it the way you want. I'm growing some collard greens and may use some for a small batch. If I get Brussels sprouts cheap here I'll do that too. Still need to get a watermelon for subak kimchi.

Also there's a makgeolli brewing group on Facebook that the brewing school I teach at is affiliated with. Don't like to cross SA and Facebook streams but it's incredibly helpful as the people who run it (I help out) are getting their certifications in Korea for makgeolli making.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Finally set out the onggi for 2-3 months. I grew the beans, harvested the beans, dried the beans, soaked the beans, cooked the beans, smashes the beans, molded the beans, dried the beans, put the beans in a giant pot I set on fire. Now I wait some more.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Raphisonfire posted:

Why do kimchi tubs become internally pressurized after leaving them in the fridge and not opening them for a while? Is it because the kimchi is still fermenting? Or something else?

It's still fermenting, just slower.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Also, cow... ox... same thing. It usually comes in giant tins that sit out with red blood jello in it. Pick the dirt and flies out of it if you want to be fancy.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Eeyo posted:

A few Kimchi questions:

I bought some kimchi at an asian grocery store (I think it specializes in korean stuff). It looks like they made it in the back or something, it was just a 16 Oz. plastic tub of the stuff.

1) Kimchi lasts for a while right? They don't have a date on it so I have no idea how old it is.
2) The parts on the top were more funky than the buried stuff. Is that normal/ok? Or did I poison myself with surface-kimchi? I took a bite off the top when I bought it and I just thought they had put a lot of fish sauce in it, but it seems like the lower leaves have less of that and more of the bright, salty flavor I was expecting.

I also got some gochujang so I need to start making bibimbap again.

It will get mold if it's kept too long with too much air or if you don't use clean utensils, usually Kahm yeast. You can take that part off.

It will smell bad if it's actually gone bad. Like vomit or baby diapers. Trust your nose.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Scathach posted:

Hey my family does ceramics and we want to make our own kimchi fermentation crock things this summer. If anyone has one, is there any special consideration besides "sealable jar" or is that about it? I've never actually seen one IRL.

They are porous, that's as much as I really know. In Korea we're running into a problem of people producing poo poo with non food safe ceramic glaze and using the wrong type of clay. Basically making something that looks like an onggi without the function.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Pea greens kimchi: good idea, or potentially the stinkiest thing ever? Or both?

Do it!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I just recently tried bokbunja and I'm not sure that's it- The menu lists it as a shrub, so there's gotta be vinegar somewhere, and I've seen "drinking" vinegar at the local Korean market in similar flavors so I figured that could be it.

The drinking vinegars are basically shrubs. With 흑식초 instead of white wine vinegar or apple cider. Have a raspberry shrub and you're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Not nationalist nonsense entirely. Properly made (and expensive) onggi are porous and in theory store bacteria and mold for different things so you wouldn't want to switch between makgeolli, kimchi, and doenjang. A lot are made with non porous glaze so if you don't want to keep it active to keep up the bacteria and keep it from drying out and keep it outside or somewhere away because of smell and the need to keep it cool then get a glass or nice plastic container.

• Locked thread