Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Archer2338 posted:

고등어(dunno what it is in English)

For any other non-Korean speakers, that's Pacific chub mackerel.

e: scroll down

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I often make corn-barley tea; I feel the bitterness and the sweetness with a prevailing taste of earthy is really delicious.

I boil water, add corn+barley, turn off heat, cover, and let sit for...a while. 5 minutes? 10? 20? Basically until I remember to get it. Then I strain and drink.

Usually I do about 1 part corn to 2 parts barley, or whatever seems good.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

DontAskKant posted:

If there's interest I'll do a primer on making Korean fermented teas. It's almost Korean plum/maesil/매실 season and that means little old ladies hauling carts with 50kg of sugar and 50kg of fruit.

The Korean fermented teas are usually fruit mixed with sugar and let sit for at least 30 days for some like quince and lemon and up to 10 years for some 매실청. They are usually mixed with hot water or cold water and served with ice (this is new). I've been turning yuja tea into fast hot toddies and the unripe peach version is great as a whisky cocktail. Used in culinary stuff too. I'd suggest ignoring most of the health cures they purport to have though.

Don't worry non Asia living folk there is stuff you can do too. Just tell me where you live and I can tell you what you can use.

I live in Oregon and this sounds like a really tasty thing to do. Specifically, I'm in the Willamette Valley.

Should I toast barley and/or corn before making tea of it? Can I just buy whole barley and soak that in water? Are there any special steps I need to worry about?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

pandaK posted:

Get a bunch of unhulled barley grains and toast them. There, you got the base for barley tea, now just add them to simmering water and wait a few minutes and you got tea. It is like the most easiest thing to do, and you get this really great nutty tea out of it in the end.

I was hoping it was that easy, thanks. Time to buy a fuckton of barley, and some corn.

• Locked thread