Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There was some Korean noodle soup I was trying to recall: a soda style noodle like a ramen noodle, thin sliced beef, kimchi in the soup, and a relatively clear broth that was slightly acidic and slightly sweet but still savoury. I have no idea what to look for when it comes to recipes, but I'd rather like to make something like that tonight since I have a bunch of bok choy kimchi that's getting really ripe in the fridge that I'd like to use up to make more room for new batches soon. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I guess I didn't think to compare it to naengmyun, since that's cold noodles and what I was thinking of was served hot. Similar flavor profile, though. I suppose it would be like hot naengmyun but with extra kimchi and maybe some charred onions instead of fresh vegetables.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Los Angeles.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yes, that's it. Turns out I was remembering a kimchi kalguksu that came with slices of seared beef in it.

Thank you!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Stir fry them, too. Radish greens take really nicely to a quick hot cook.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

Interested in how her recipe turns out. Studying and teaching at one of the academies and its potentially very complex. Beer was a heck of a lot less effort.

Me too. I wonder why the rice is cooked, then dried, then rehydrated again. It can't be malting or anything, can it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So why does maangchi cook, dry, and then rehydrate?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Both of you post results in this thread, please.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Maybe you use different chili than I do. I normally use 1/4 to 1/2 a cup per gallon and it's plenty spicy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Use it to make kimchi

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never use soy sauce in mine. On the other hand, I find onion and something sugary (like an apple, or even white sugar) to be very nice in there. Also I lime to add glutinous rice flour as it makes for a nicer sauce later.

Also also, after I chop the cabbage I put it in a saltwater bath for an hour or so, and then once drained I don't add any more salt.

But there is no one true kimchi. A kimchis are valid and also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Maybe it was doenjang?

• Locked thread