Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How do you usually prepare barley tea (bori cha I think)? I bought a bag of loose roasted barley for tea, but I'm seeing a lot of different things when I searched. The bag says 5 minutes of boiling, but I've seen up to 20 minutes online. Is it a matter of taste? Will steeping it longer have more bitterness? I've been using about 1 1/2 tsp for a regular coffee mug.

I also saw whole roasted corn tea at the same store. Is that pretty similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Got some radishes at the farmers market so I was going to try and make some kkakdugi. The radishes have the green tops on them and they're in fairly good shape. Should I throw those in as well? Or not even bother? I also got some green garlic so I was going to use that as well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

theDOWmustflow posted:

Green tops like this?

If it looks like the above, yeah that's fine. Peel and dice as per usual. Or do you mean the leafy part?

Also hey, Maangchi made the New York Times! http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/dining/maangchi-youtube-korean-julia-child.html

I meant the leafy green parts. I ended up leaving them out because I didn't know what it would do to the texture. I'm guessing mine were either not daikon or fairly young since they weren't too big and didn't have that daikon funk. Either way it's bubbling along happily.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A few Kimchi questions:

I bought some kimchi at an asian grocery store (I think it specializes in korean stuff). It looks like they made it in the back or something, it was just a 16 Oz. plastic tub of the stuff.

1) Kimchi lasts for a while right? They don't have a date on it so I have no idea how old it is.
2) The parts on the top were more funky than the buried stuff. Is that normal/ok? Or did I poison myself with surface-kimchi? I took a bite off the top when I bought it and I just thought they had put a lot of fish sauce in it, but it seems like the lower leaves have less of that and more of the bright, salty flavor I was expecting.

I also got some gochujang so I need to start making bibimbap again.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Is gim usually the seaweed (apparently not a seaweed???) added to bibimbap? When I've had it at a restaurant before it's had some seaweed on it but I can't remember if it was that.

Is gim used as a garnish? I've got 8 packets of the roasted with sesame oil stuff so I need to find ways to use it. It's tasty - very savory and slightly oceanic.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Does the traditional onggi perform better at making kimchi than other vessels? I'm interested in getting a nice fermentation vessel, but I need to figure out what kind to get first. There's the onggi, western european crocks (which have an airlock seal), and modern jars fitted with fermentation airlocks.

The internet claims onggi have some kind of porous structure which aids in fermentation, but I can't tell if that actually does anything.

I'd be making kimchi/kkakdugi/sauerkraut just for myself, so I don't need anything too big.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll probably either get some western-style one done by an artisan state-side or one of those plastic tub ones. I like the look of the onggi but I won't try real hard to find a good one.

Also, I'd never heard of few flowered leek. Does it taste leeky?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Is kkakdugi fermented shorter than kimchi? I just mixed up a batch and most places say like a day or two then put it in the fridge.

Is it mostly just eaten as is (i.e. banchan), or could I make it into dumplings or something?

Also, how do people drink soju? Just take shots of it? I impulse-purchased a half bottle at the liquor store today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok I'll pull it after 1.5 days, it'll probably go a little slow since it's winter.

I guess I'll have to get a shotglass for the soju then. Thankfully it's only 17.5% so it can't be that bad.

• Locked thread