Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!

pandaK posted:

The kimchi that my grandmother makes always has that fresh and refreshing flavor and crunch to it that I just can't ever replicate and it makes me mad! It's literally grandma magic since I've gotten her recipe and method.

Sometimes my mother complains that her fresh kimchi was salted too long and hence not as crunchy. How long do you let your cabbage sit after salting? Depending on what she's making, mom will let the cabbage sit in salt anywhere from 4-6 hours to overnight and then soak/rinse in fresh water.

As for sugar, never had it in my kimchi, but from what I am told by friends and relatives, Korean food is made sweeter lately? My mother has a neighbor visiting from Korea and everything they make has tons of sugar in it.

Saeujut and 3-crab sauce for life yo!

Does anyone eat fried or boiled pork belly, samgyupsal dipped in saeujut? Best combination, tied with eating it wrapped in fresh kimchi. I need to go get some sliced pork belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!

Grand Fromage posted:

The yellow powder stuff is pretty good, I don't know what the name of it is.

I love the yellow powder ddeok, I also like the brown powder (I think it's ground barley?) ddeok. Mom has a ddeok machine at home, but she says making ddeok is a pain in the rear end, and cleaning the ddeok machine is a task fit for Hercules.

As for plain ddeok, green or white, flat squares with ridges, I remember dipping it in sugar and then eating it, must be microwaved or fried first.

edit: mom also fries up the kombu, less than 30 seconds each side in some oil, that you use for making dashi and then sprinkles it with sugar as a snack. I tried it and it is really good.

• Locked thread