Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
The worst Korean dish is Cheonggukjang; I am generally fine with fermented soybean products like natto for example but cheonggukjang takes the pungency to a new level that is just disgusting.

Grand Fromage posted:

It lasts a very long time in the fridge. I would throw it out and buy a new one if it's that old, some things aren't worth dying for.

My main complaint about Korean food is how boring it is. There's no use of subtle flavor, everything has one overpowering flavor and there are only three choices in that flavor category: spicy, sweet, or gross. But, I live in Korea so it's easy to get bored with the food when it's everywhere and has little variety.

You forgot to add vinegar to your flavor category, i.e. mul naengmyun but I'm in agreement that most Korean cooking is just smacking tastebuds with one dominant flavor. Yet, there are a few dishes out there that don't follow the same philosophy: ganjang gaejang, korean sashimi with kenyip (not talking about the flavorless ice-cold sashimi that Koreans for some perverse reason love to eat but I've forgotten the Korean name for it) and yook hwe. There is hope out there for Korean food but maybe David Chang can stop trying to master Japanese dishes (Ippudo is worse than the yattai I found next to the Ikebukuro JR station) and maybe try to instead re-invent Korean dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

hallo spacedog posted:

Not to be nitpicky but I am fairly sure David Chang doesn't run Ippudo, it's a Japanese run chain store. He owns the Momofuku group of restaurants.

Yeah, I meant to say Momofuku Noodle Bar, which was one of the downsides of posting late at night.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

kinmik posted:

I've made maangchi's japchae about four or five times and can testify that it's pretty good. The leftovers hold up okay; there's a lot of water that leeches out overnight and gathers at the bottom, but I just pour it out. Doesn't seem to affect the taste at all.

^^ Love me some oisobagi. Unfortunately, the one container I bought from the super nice Korean couple who own the Asian food store nearby was super mushy. :( Is it supposed to be that way? I like my kim chi crunchy.

It usually has a nice crunchy aspect to it; if you prefer kimchi like that, which I also am more fond of, I'm a big fan of gakdugi.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lawman 0 posted:

How am I supposed to drink soju?

You can also mix it with beer but that is a truly vile combination of terrible flavors which is nevertheless forced down because your boss refuses to believe that he is no longer a poor college student.

• Locked thread