Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So is there any real benefit to setting up a cool base aside from making a nice looking place. It seems like I'm never on a planet long enough to warrant spending time on setting up a cool base.

To store all the poo poo you'll eventually find yourself looting and hoarding, of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
Sorta stupid interface question. I see a ton of other photos with people talking to themselves or people commenting that NPCs are talking, but I can't figure out how to do that with my character or talk to the one friendly NPC I've found. What button am I magically failing to press to make this work? :v:

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Anyone else get framerate problems? I set all of the .exe to run as admin and that seems to have helped but, seems odd to have such a problem with a 2d game. Not too worried as obviously this is beta so things will change.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy Cheese posted:

Anyone else get framerate problems? I set all of the .exe to run as admin and that seems to have helped but, seems odd to have such a problem with a 2d game. Not too worried as obviously this is beta so things will change.

There's apparently an OpenGL-based executable which may help. Otherwise, yeah, beta non-optimization. :)

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Welp, had my first crash. I think the cause was an UAC prompt (win7) for another program I started and that caused Starbound renderer to flip out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Holy Cheese posted:

I have to launch mine in safe mode (OpenGL) otherwise the game will eventually crash. Maybe that'll help.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tengames posted:

The whole "caveman" thing kinda falls flat when you start with a space ship, 3d printer, and a high tech matter manipulator, and you have to use said manipulator to cut down your first tree, and mine the stone for your first pickaxe. if it can do all that, why cant I just freaking use that instead of having to bang rocks together for progress?

Holy gently caress. You can! But since it's not a tool MADE for that, it's not the most efficient way.

Jesus Christ some of these complaints are bordering on the dense at this point.

This is tantamount to crash landing on
a planet with pistol and wondering why you'd still need to craft a sledgehammer instead of shooting tiny bullets at a brick wall to bust through.

But no one is stopping you from using the slow rear end matter manipulator to Dig and Chop if you so desire.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Feenix posted:

Holy gently caress. You can! But since it's not a tool MADE for that, it's not the most efficient way.

a planet with pistol and wondering why you'd still need to craft a sledgehammer instead of shooting tiny bullets at a brick wall to bust through.

But no one is stopping you from using the slow rear end matter manipulator to Dig and Chop if you so desire.

And in fact in the full release of the game, you can even upgrade to scifi stuff like the MM if you don't want to touch those dirty caveman tools, it just isn't available in this stage of the beta. :v:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Feenix posted:

jesus christ you guys are so goddamn loving quick to defend the goddamn ~story~, that god forbid your loving item that relocates matter with energy beams might be a bit more practical then smacking a tree with a blunt stone ax, and that players not have to wait for multiple teirs for it.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How'd you unlock Ferozium? My tech stopped at Aegisalt.
There's another tech upgrade thing you can make with 40 Aegisalt at the robotic crafting table. I also see a recipe using 40 Ferozium to unlock the next one, but I haven't found a way to actually make Ferozium bars so I guess it stops there.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I would like another few pages of this argument if possible.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tengames posted:

The whole "caveman" thing kinda falls flat when you start with a space ship, 3d printer, and a high tech matter manipulator, and you have to use said manipulator to cut down your first tree, and mine the stone for your first pickaxe. if it can do all that, why cant I just freaking use that instead of having to bang rocks together for progress?

Know what I think would make the game feel more sci-fi early on? Instead of better picks, you upgrade your matter manipulator. Maybe the one you start off with is damaged and you're just fixing it up as you go along. Wedge a chunk of stone in there to keep these two components from touching, get some copper to fix up some wiring, replace the casing with some iron, make more corrosion resistant wiring using silver and gold. Then later once you get more high tech you ditch that silly manipulator for something better. The tech and the basics just feel kinda poorly meshed together, too. Why does making armor on my anvil use up pixels? I'd give it a pass if I was later in the game and was using high-tech armor, but I'm smashing metal into shape. That shouldn't cost funky future space materialmoney.

Enzer posted:

To store all the poo poo you'll eventually find yourself looting and hoarding, of course!

On that note, I really wish the game would let you bookmark locations rather than just setting a single one as home. What if I find a really cool ruin and want to explore it, but found it too tough? Letting me bookmark it ingame rather than making me write down the coordinates would be way easier. I also managed to lose my original home planet with a misclick. Luckily I had enough things with me and on my ship to quickly get a little house made, but still. To be honest, I don't really even WANT a home planet. All it really offers me is room to grow crops, and there doesn't seem to be much reason to do that anyway. If I could just live on my ship (possible) or just literally pick up my big fancy house and drop it on another planet, that would be great. I kind of want to make a really nice house, but I also end up getting the feeling that since the game rewards exploring new worlds far more than just mindlessly mining a single one, I'm not going to spend enough time at home and will instead just end up building lovely little camps that I pick up and move every time I switch planets.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Torokasi posted:

Sorta stupid interface question. I see a ton of other photos with people talking to themselves or people commenting that NPCs are talking, but I can't figure out how to do that with my character or talk to the one friendly NPC I've found. What button am I magically failing to press to make this work? :v:

Mouse over them and press E. Some of them don't talk, some sell you stuff, some will talk without prompting.

Tengames posted:

jesus christ you guys are so goddamn loving quick to defend the goddamn ~story~, that god forbid your loving item that relocates matter with energy beams might be a bit more practical then smacking a tree with a blunt stone ax, and that players not have to wait for multiple teirs for it.

Well, in real life I have a nice modern multitool with a small saw blade that I could conceivably cut a tree down with, but if I used it to cut a branch and some strips of bark and used the bark to tie a sharp rock to the stick to make a crude axe, it would probably be more practical to use that. Same concept with the starting multitool in Starbound.

nightchild12 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Didn't get a response to this from page 1:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone know what a Matter Block is and how to get it? I have the rest of the materials to craft a rad helmet and that's all I'm missing.

Anyone? The wiki I found has nothing on it. Is it a boss item or higher tier item?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Another feature wish: make the pickaxe area of effect taller. Doesn't matter if it means gimping it to 2x4, I just want to be able to dig a tunnel as high as my character without doing twice the work.

Alternatively, make digging time also factor in how much you are digging. If you are only affecting a 1x1 block, I'd like it to go nine times faster.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Tengames posted:

jesus christ you guys are so goddamn loving quick to defend the goddamn ~story~, that god forbid your loving item that relocates matter with energy beams might be a bit more practical then smacking a tree with a blunt stone ax, and that they not have to wait for multiple teirs for it.

It isn't so much the story in the case. The tool is literately designed for building, it isn't a mining laser, it isn't a sci-fi axe. It is designed for putting up walls and moving furniture. You are saying "away with the designed progression of the game, I do not like that my game has pickaxes, that is caveman technology despite being used in modern times when we've achieved space flight. My building tool should also do everything ever." Game includes multiple tools, they start primitive and eventual get upgraded into crazy high tech stuff, that is this game's thing.

Why are you not also making the complaint that you are using "caveman tech" bows for hunting and not a techbow that shoots lasers, or complaining that you can find swords and hammers that shoot magic or giant skulls or bones that explode into more bones, that is anything but sci-fi.

What a lot of us are saying is that it seems silly that you want them to uproot the entire style of progression they have set up, throw out all the assets and code and completely replace it into a single tool because you just happen to find one in a locker on your ship because you don't like pickaxes because its been done before. It sounds stupid to some of us.

I mean, hell, they can easily solve this by saying that the MM is broken and is almost nonfunctional, that way your future upgrades to it would be more in terms of repairing functionality and they wouldn't have to destroy a ton of work to do so.

Honestly, I don't even like the ideas of "jack of all trade" tools after playing end game Terraria. That poo poo was stupid because you were constantly exploding your house, the ground and the background layers every time you misclicked. Separate tools are nice since they are easier to control. :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 6, 2013

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Nomikos posted:

OK, trapped the tier 3 boss and killed it, unlocked the X Sector, and am busily racing towards the end of the tech tree. Gone through Durasteel, Aegisalt, and Ferozium so far. No more new crafting recipes so far except more melee weapons, basic furniture, and racial armor, so I guess they weren't lying when they said the higher-tier stuff isn't enabled/implemented.

:v:

Let me guess, you've been awake since 9:59 am PST yesterday?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The more i read about Starbound, the more i want directed mode to be available so i can convince Killeroflawyers to allow me the great pleasure of being a human run, "AI WAR/XCOM" inspired galactic menace that will wreck peoples poo poo if they dont keep my terrible city-world and its various colonies and laboratories in line. :black101:

gently caress i hope it will be extensive, im talking "Create an NPC, set it to hunt the players, drop it on a world and watch as it gleefully hunts them like the Predator." I'm possibly more hyped for this then reason should allow. Being a DM in this kind of game sounds like a dream come true.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Slime posted:

Why does making armor on my anvil use up pixels? I'd give it a pass if I was later in the game and was using high-tech armor, but I'm smashing metal into shape. That shouldn't cost funky future space materialmoney.

I can't comment on whether it's good from a game design standpoint, but for MY IMMERSION I imagine that the pixels are used in the 3D printer to make all the little incidental bits that constitute a suit of armor beyond the raw metal: straps, buckles, feathers, oil and so on.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I just want to get an item that gives me as much energy regen as possible and just dash across entire planets.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Slime posted:

Know what I think would make the game feel more sci-fi early on? Instead of better picks, you upgrade your matter manipulator. Maybe the one you start off with is damaged and you're just fixing it up as you go along. Wedge a chunk of stone in there to keep these two components from touching, get some copper to fix up some wiring, replace the casing with some iron, make more corrosion resistant wiring using silver and gold. Then later once you get more high tech you ditch that silly manipulator for something better. The tech and the basics just feel kinda poorly meshed together, too. Why does making armor on my anvil use up pixels? I'd give it a pass if I was later in the game and was using high-tech armor, but I'm smashing metal into shape. That shouldn't cost funky future space materialmoney.
This is pretty much what i was thinking, something along the lines of your matter manipulator stored on the ship having a few blueprints along with it to upgrade with local materials in case of an emergency. You could even have it use fuel for mining powered by ores, to imitate the repairing a pickaxe function. using pickaxes instead doesn't make it any more authentic with the scifi tech still in your hotbar unless you have a really selective type of immersion.

Enzer posted:

Why are you not also making the complaint that you are using "caveman tech" bows for hunting and not a techbow that shoots lasers, or complaining that you can find swords and hammers that shoot magic or giant skulls or bones that explode into more bones, that is anything but sci-fi.
Because I want to use a single tool for convience, Because people can have reasons for things beyond story and immersion.

Also yes, having to use a bow or specific knife for hunting is stupid. why cant I use any weapon I wish? Why cant I use my awesome weapon i bought from a shop to cut up some alien steaks?

Tengames fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 6, 2013

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nomikos posted:

I can't comment on whether it's good from a game design standpoint, but for MY IMMERSION I imagine that the pixels are used in the 3D printer to make all the little incidental bits that constitute a suit of armor beyond the raw metal: straps, buckles, feathers, oil and so on.

In addition to this, the next patch will significantly reduce the pixel cost of low-tier armors.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
Just make it so your ship crashes on your first planet, and you have to go through the tutorial and get the fuel to get it back up and running. This helps twofold, It gives you a newbie home at first, and solves the caveman thing in a way that makes some sort of sense. There you go, you're welcome.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I like the caveman tier.

I actually wish you couldn't just jump around with wood, your ship should be busted so you're forced to tech advance to the point where you can repair it.

If you want jet packs out the gate the play another game I guess?

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

mune posted:

We will do our best to accommodate your wishes.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Tentatively opening my server (hosted on my own machine) to the public, or at least you fellow goons. Experimenting with keeping it up 24/7 since I leave the PC on anyway, but my friends and I would be happy to have some more visitors. Only "rules" are that if you see someone has made some sort of marker/structure at a planet's beam-in point, it'd be nice if you couldn't go and bulldoze said planet because it's been "claimed".

Anyway, join if you like. IP is 99.252.214.148

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mune posted:

It's a lot more interesting than people asking why their screen mysteriously turned blue before they mysteriously died! Hopefully the new thread OP will cut down on that.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Verranicus posted:

Tentatively opening my server (hosted on my own machine) to the public, or at least you fellow goons. Experimenting with keeping it up 24/7 since I leave the PC on anyway, but my friends and I would be happy to have some more visitors. Only "rules" are that if you see someone has made some sort of marker/structure at a planet's beam-in point, it'd be nice if you couldn't go and bulldoze said planet because it's been "claimed".

Anyway, join if you like. IP is 99.252.214.148

What's the max per server? I haven't researched this game much.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Holy poo poo, Florans with laser rifles on a lvl 1 world :stare:
That's a bit overkill. But their prison is awesome. :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fair to Midland posted:

What's the max per server? I haven't researched this game much.

I think I remember the dev's said that there was no cap and it is more of a "whatever the server can handle" deal.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Enzer posted:

I think I remember the dev's said that there was no cap and it is more of a "whatever the server can handle" deal.

Really?? That's awesome, will try this guy's server then. I was expecting a 4 person cap.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Until keybinding gets added, here's a template AHK script you can customize to fit what you like. You'll need Autohotkey installed, and you can find out key/modifier names here and here. It works as [Key you Press]::[Key that gets sent]

code:
; Starbound keybinding template
#IfWinActive Starbound - Beta

; Movement
w::w
a::a
s::s
d::d
Space::Space

; Use
e::e
MButton::MButton

; Hotbar
`::`
1::1
2::2
3::3
4::4
5::5
6::6
7::7
8::8
9::9
0::0

; Hands
z::z
x::x
LButton::LButton
RButton::RButton

; Side Menu stuff
Escape::Escape
i::i
c::c
n::n
l::l
j::j

; Misc
q::q
Ctrl::Ctrl
Shift::Shift
Alt::Alt

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was on a server with around a dozen active players and there wasn't much lag at all but YMMV. I hope they keep up on server optimizations so we can have semi-massive servers. The game's format screams for it. But in order to accommodate higher player counts I'd like to see better player tracking, party functionality, and better chat functionality. Somewhat related but also useful for single player would be an upgradeable navigation view that can tell you what kinds of structures are on a planet, who is inhabiting it, what kind of materials are abundant, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 6, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Can you "claim" an existing hostile structure like the prison and make it your home or will enemies respawn there?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tengames posted:

Seriously why can't we just have both? Maybe compromise and say Mater Manipulators are faster but Picks and Axes cover more area? That way we can just have our manipulators if we want and there's still a reason to have a Pick for big projects and poo poo.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

So yeah, Starbound doesn't play well at all with Windows locking, either on time or manually.

djw175 posted:

So what's a planet seed with a good glitch town? I want to see more that the game offers me and I can't find one no matter how hard I look.

Alpha R Hya 02 IV at X:-83274924 Y:25121666
Will have to walk left for a good while, though, but the town is pretty big. Also has various abandoned Apex facilities dotting the surface

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
How do you global talk? Or is the green say text global?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Fintilgin posted:

Can you "claim" an existing hostile structure like the prison and make it your home or will enemies respawn there?

You can claim them, as far as I know.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Yes! Enemies in dungeons and generated structures don't respawn. I got one of the little USCM outposts with a single robot right next to the teleport spot on my first planet, cleaned it out and I've been using it as a base ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why are these not growing? am I doing something wrong?

• Locked thread