Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously why can't we just have both? Maybe compromise and say Mater Manipulators are faster but Picks and Axes cover more area? That way we can just have our manipulators if we want and there's still a reason to have a Pick for big projects and poo poo.

I think it is more an issue that picks get replaced outright after the first 3 tiers with sci-fi poo poo like a mining laser or something. Rereading Tiy's post, he doesn't mention that the MM gets upgrade, just that the tools you use get replaced when you get to the point you can make them. So the issue I am having is that I'd rather have the separate tools to see how they can become more interesting in their own right then just having slightly faster versions of the MM. I mean, I would rather have a hitscan style mining laser than a MM that breaks stuff down faster, but still has its built in limitation of how far out it can manipulate for balance reasons. They have all this stuff already ready, just seems silly to throw out out all now. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Slime posted:

The tech and the basics just feel kinda poorly meshed together, too. Why does making armor on my anvil use up pixels? I'd give it a pass if I was later in the game and was using high-tech armor, but I'm smashing metal into shape. That shouldn't cost funky future space materialmoney.

Good thing tonight's patch reduces the values or removes them completely for early armor and weapons, then.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004
Reposting from the old thread, might warrant going in the OP if confirmed:

I think that platinum isn't spawning on T3 or below. I've gotten hundreds of titanium ore from T3 lava spawn mining, but no platinum. Seems like a bug. Is there anyone at T4 who can let us know that it's actually spawning?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Zereth posted:

Why are these not growing? am I doing something wrong?

What plant is that? Some people are reporting that there are a few (carrots, nanomelons and like, one or two others) that are not growing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've gotten both carrots and nanomelons to grow on my spaceship.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Does anyone know of a decent, cheap host for a Starbound server? I've found a couple but one is based in the UK (I'm EST) and the other looks to be based our of Germany.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Space is becoming an issue on my Starship. I know the idea is to build a base on a planet, but that's very inconvenient when I just want to explore.

Also, is there any way to sort inventory?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've gotten both carrots and nanomelons to grow on my spaceship.

You can grow crops inside your ship? :aaaaa:

Now I really want the bigger ships, going to have a hydroponics section. :dance:

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Zereth posted:

Why are these not growing? am I doing something wrong?

If those are chili peppers, I think they just take forever to grow, or are bugged. I have the same thing happen with chili peppers that I have planted. I think I might have had one of my chilis grow a single step in a few hours of playing, but can't confirm right now.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Has anybody gotten the star system/planet seed system to work? I've tried entering a few people's coordinates and it never finds anything or goes to the right planet.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I think one of my favorite things so far is that each race has their own crops, and that the Glitch get robo-tomatoes and robo-radishes. Farming is neat. :allears:

But I have a question. I just beat the penguin UFO, got the molten core, and made the metalworking bench. When I use it, I don't seem to have any new recipes. Likewise, when I beat the UFO I didn't get a quest complete message or a new quest popping up. Did I run into a bug, or is there something I haven't done yet?

Soral
May 30, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Can you "claim" an existing hostile structure like the prison and make it your home or will enemies respawn there?

I've been using one planet as a kind of home base/storage shelter and the glitch castle I built all my poo poo right next to hasn't had a single npc respawn, hostile or otherwise, since I cleared it out like 12 hours ago. So probably no.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Butts. Twice now I've used the beacon and no UFO. Think I'll just wait for the patch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Does anyone know of a decent, cheap host for a Starbound server? I've found a couple but one is based in the UK (I'm EST) and the other looks to be based our of Germany.

I have a lifetime Developer 3 server at CloudAtCost:
http://www.cloudatcost.com/pricing.php

I think this should be able to run a rather large server, but I haven't even connected to it once and I'm too lazy to set things up.

If anyone wants to set up a Goon Starbound server on here, shoot me an email at bluntforceawful@gmail.com and I can give you ssh access or whatever to do what you need.

It's also a very affordable place to get a server to run your own thing (didn't realize they extended the one-time-payment promo into a permanent service)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

VDay posted:

Has anybody gotten the star system/planet seed system to work? I've tried entering a few people's coordinates and it never finds anything or goes to the right planet.

Do you have enough fuel?

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
I'm... really liking this game.

Played it last night for a few hours with a buddy of mine. We've pretty well explored the 3 planets in our starting system and are working on silver armor. Decided to roleplay an inquisitor and his ogryn sidekick and purge any insufficiently human settlements we come across. There's an avian airship and town we have access to but we haven't cleared them out yet (found a few lone huts and razed those, though). Waiting to finish this tier of armor.

Our little base:

Newly constructed Avian Welcome Lodge:

My pimped out space barge:

Tengames posted:

jesus christ you guys are so goddamn loving quick to defend the goddamn ~story~, that god forbid your loving item that relocates matter with energy beams might be a bit more practical then smacking a tree with a blunt stone ax, and that players not have to wait for multiple teirs for it.

It's a videogame, dude. You're using axes and pickaxes because they're both intuitive and established as part of the genre. Sure, they could have made it so that you just upgrade the matter manipulator, but using ores to do so doesn't make a lot of sense and isn't intuitive as a result. Any further argument from either side is just sperging. :colbert:

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

VDay posted:

Along these same lines, is there an easy way to find a planet nearby? So far all I can seem to do is Find Random or enter specific coords, but maybe i'm just not seeing something on the map controls.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

VDay posted:

Make sure you're in the right star sector - you can't use Gamma coordinates in Beta, or Alpha coordinates in Gamma, etc.

Deathwing posted:

Along these same lines, is there an easy way to find a planet nearby? So far all I can seem to do is Find Random or enter specific coords, but maybe i'm just not seeing something on the map controls.

Right click the map until you see the star map, use the arrows at the edge of the screen to scroll

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Enzer posted:

You can grow crops inside your ship? :aaaaa:

Now I really want the bigger ships, going to have a hydroponics section. :dance:

Welcome to my mess:

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Deathwing posted:

You can right click to zoom out on the star map to see other stars, then click on them to check out the systems and planets.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

Deathwing posted:

Right click on your map, it will zoom out.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Ahh, okay. Many thanks, figured it was something simple :)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If anyone has Alpha Coordinates for planets that have structures near the spawn, or any planet with a Tech on it (or really just any cool planet), please post them. I'm compiling a list of cool things on planets and these would be nice to have for purposes of building bases on planets.

You can add them directly on Google Docs here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/edit?usp=sharing (link fixed)
Or I will pick them out of the thread and add them.

e: Please include the planet's Biome and Threat Level as these may be necessary to find the right planet

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 6, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I have to say that from a purely game play perspective I like the copper-iron-silver progression rather than a bullshit science one. I know from the get go how strong the copper items are compared to iron but I probably wouldn't if it was something like plasma-proton-nanomachines.

I'm loving the game so far and can't wait for the to add more poo poo. My only real problem with it is that there's literally no reason to go underground unless a building leads you there and once you find the few structures on each planet there's nothing keeping you there. I imagine these problems will be fixed with content later though.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 6, 2013

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Is there anything I can do about the horrible lighting situation when digging? If I'm using a two-handed weapon or the pick and accidentally break into an area, I have to quick put down a torch and if there's a monster present, I'm generally dead before I can get that far (since I might have taken fall damage). The flashlight is nice, but I don't really use any one-handed weapons.

Also, is there any way to use two techs at the same time? I have the dash and the double jump, but can only use one.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Starter planet Alpha Gamma Sci Majoris I (forest): X=11115083 Y=-81448917
To the left of spawn (about 5 screens), down the left hand side of two interconnected cave systems is a giant Floran prison. I haven't scoped the whole thing out yet, but it is at least 6 levels with a lava pool and guards carrying lasers and big rear end swords.

I've been stealing everything and tricking out my ship.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I have to say that from a purely game play perspective I like the copper-iron-silver progression rather than a bullshit science one. I know from the get go how strong the copper items are compared to iron but I probably wouldn't if it was something like plasma-proton-nanomachines.

Yeah but it's essentially based off the same principle because gold actually sucks for building things out of.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
X= 59877410 Y= -70634402
Alpha Umbraxion 1207 II

If you go left, avoiding the monsters (it's a danger lvl 10 planet) then you'll find an anchor from an airship, with friendly avians who will sell you blueprints for their armor, and also guns.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I picked up a 4-pack and have one left over. Might anyone be interested in taking the last one off my hands for $11.25?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

OneTwentySix posted:

Is there anything I can do about the horrible lighting situation when digging? If I'm using a two-handed weapon or the pick and accidentally break into an area, I have to quick put down a torch and if there's a monster present, I'm generally dead before I can get that far (since I might have taken fall damage). The flashlight is nice, but I don't really use any one-handed weapons.

Also, is there any way to use two techs at the same time? I have the dash and the double jump, but can only use one.

Torches, I guess? They'll keep you warm too.

edit: ahahaaha incredible

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

My Impressions As A Beta Tester

- No natural regen at all is really killer, especially in a game where poo poo can pretty much two-shot you at the moment. 'Just sit in a tent or a bed for a minute or so to get your health back' is a pretty dumb answer when the point of the game is to be moving around all the time. It doesn't even need to be a massive amount, just enough to slowly patch you up over time if you stay out of trouble for a while. Along with that, bandages should probably give some small amount of instant healing followed by a bit of the health regen they already have, so if people really want some fast healing in the middle of combat they can choose to burn through more bandages than would be needed during a post-battle patch-up.

- Caveman tier is still pretty boring and weird when compared with the rest of the game, and I've already had multiple people ask if it's literally just Terraria on a bunch of smaller worlds instead of one big one because they saw me hopping around with an axe and pick. Some revamp of the player's initial scenario to have it make more sense than jetting around in a spaceship while still relying on smacking rocks together would probably go a long way to help people's initial impressions, because a lot of the cool sci-fi poo poo is either being used by your enemies at that point or completely unavailable to the player until after a while.

- The game is cool and whatever but it desperately does need a lot of cool underground poo poo to be found on basically every planet. I'm well aware that not everything is implemented. (no poo poo) I'm just hoping that the dev team knows that even with the massive amount of planets to visit that people will want to spelunk a lot on the ones they think are neat.

- Crossbows are cool. That is all.

- Having better access to bombs as a viable tool and weapon would go a long way towards mixing up combat and exploration. Maybe an early-ish crafting recipe?

In any case, thanks for all the hard work Tiy and crew! Game shows a lot of promise.

e: holy poo poo whoever got varinn that custom title is the gooniest motherfucker

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

for the amount of time this game has been out, some of these space ships are pretty impressive

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Enzer posted:

What plant is that? Some people are reporting that there are a few (carrots, nanomelons and like, one or two others) that are not growing.
Chilis. And Neonmelons, Carrots, and some 100-flavor plant are also not growing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Are there any places that offer hosting servers for Starbound like Minecraft yet?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I found a Futuristic Pyramid on X 9236144 Y 72611316 Beta Al Dhibain 87 II a if you go to the left of spawn. Go check it out for cool stuff.

edit: Also if you're posting coordinates PLEASE post the planet name because it makes it 100x easier to know what planet you're talking about.

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 6, 2013

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

My Impressions As A Beta Tester

- No natural regen at all is really killer, especially in a game where poo poo can pretty much two-shot you at the moment. 'Just sit in a tent or a bed for a minute or so to get your health back' is a pretty dumb answer when the point of the game is to be moving around all the time. It doesn't even need to be a massive amount, just enough to slowly patch you up over time if you stay out of trouble for a while. Along with that, bandages should probably give some small amount of instant healing followed by a bit of the health regen they already have, so if people really want some fast healing in the middle of combat they can choose to burn through more bandages than would be needed during a post-battle patch-up.

- Caveman tier is still pretty boring and weird when compared with the rest of the game, and I've already had multiple people ask if it's literally just Terraria on a bunch of smaller worlds instead of one big one because they saw me hopping around with an axe and pick. Some revamp of the player's initial scenario to have it make more sense than jetting around in a spaceship while still relying on smacking rocks together would probably go a long way to help people's initial impressions, because a lot of the cool sci-fi poo poo is either being used by your enemies at that point or completely unavailable to the player until after a while.

If you head to a Jungle planet or often even other planets, there's sometimes a ton of surface vegetation that you can cut with your sword to get plant fiber. It's easy enough to get that I'm running around with ~100+ bandages constantly even though I'm spamming them like crazy. There are Red Stims for faster healing in combat, which you can find in some structure types, as drops, or get a Stim Merchant in your ship/base that sells them.

Also it can't really be stressed enough that caveman tier can be skipped entirely by flying around the galaxy like Han Solo and stealing everything from every civilization you find. You can find all of the toolbenches you need early on, tons of materials and food, and magical weapons. All of the "cool sci-fi stuff" is available right away, you just have to fly somewhere and find it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So do trees respawn or can I plant them or something? Because I am dangerously close to clear-cutting my starting planet.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I found what looks like a mineshaft with an elevator but the elevator doesnt seem to work.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Nomikos posted:

OK, trapped the tier 3 boss and killed it, unlocked the X Sector, and am busily racing towards the end of the tech tree. Gone through Durasteel, Aegisalt, and Ferozium so far. No more new crafting recipes so far except more melee weapons, basic furniture, and racial armor, so I guess they weren't lying when they said the higher-tier stuff isn't enabled/implemented.

:v:

How did you trap it in the first place? I tried summoning it once, saw one massive wing ascend off-screen over my base, then two fireballs crashing into the roof and nobody heard from him ever again. I've got the materials for a new decoy but I'm worried the boss will just gently caress off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and read the codex. The description of how the human character got into this mess is just amazing.

[spoiler]He/She brought a pet tentacle monster on board and whoops it killed all the crew. Whoops! "No crying over spilt blood, though."[spoiler]

• Locked thread