Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mezzanine posted:

This thread is probably moving a mile a minute, but in the hopes that someone notices:

How is the performance on the OSX version?

My Specs:
- MacBook Air, Mid-2011 model
- 1.7 GHz CPU
- 4GB RAM
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

It runs Terraria just fine in Wine, and Minecraft runs alright. If the beta is at least playable, I'll go ahead and buy it.

PLEASE take note, currently the game doesn't run at all with anything before 10.9 (Mavericks). I'm running 10.6.8, and I can't update to Mavericks (a reason unrelated to Starbound, has to do with my audio hardware not being supported after 10.8), so unless you have Mavericks installed, don't buy it.

I'm REALLY hoping that Bartwe or Tiy can fix this :smith: Aren't they already dealing with Windows XP? Snow Leopard is a LOT later than that. I'd say it's the Mac equivalent to Windows 7.

Tiy, I'd love to hear from you whether Starbound will eventually be compatible with pre-10.9 Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Revol posted:

I believe one of the other developers is in charge of the Mac version. Legris? It was a lady. I remember her panicking on the beta release livecast, afraid that the Mac version was gonna be broken on Steam because of something she did.

Oh, I wasn't aware of this. I'm still looking for any official word as to whether or not they'll be (even eventually, I'll wait!) support pre 10.9.

It's funny that the maker of my audio hardware (Presonus) has labeled my device as legacy, and therefore won't support it POST 10.9. Then again, I probably shouldn't be playing games on the same computer I use for audio.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so what's the downside to beaming back up to your ship when you're in trouble (on the surface, of course)? I see people camping out overnight, and I don't know why they'd bother. Granted, I havent' played the game all that much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Saw this on Reddit, thought it was pretty neat.

http://imgur.com/a/wiNx2

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think it might be in their best interests, if they're being bombarded by idiots, by putting out a monthly content pack and/or update. That way, it's scheduled, it's expected, and whatever they've managed to work on since the last update, they put out.

Or they could just put stuff out whenever they want.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So are the ship upgrades something you'd buy or build? I know so little of this game.

Also, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of goon-run servers. I know there's one, but I figured this game would be more popular than Minecraft.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Plus why do you need more than one server, unless it's just maxed on capacity?

I just remember how Minecraft, even in early development, had tons of server threads. I actually find that I'm having more fun with Starbound, there's way more variety and like someone else had said, it's still early access. It's incredible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I got a question about the actual game, what's the best way to loving survive on a tier-2 planet? I have crappy guns. I need better guns. I have silver armour, but that's it. My energy is only at 125, otherwise, I'd use my shotgun more.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I will never get what people hate about threaded comments. Then again, I was reading Slashdot before anything. :shrug:

Holy poo poo, I haven't been on Slashdot for 10 years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It should be like that by default.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't stop you losing your place when there are about 400 replies to one comment, and you forget or can't tell (from those thin little lines) who's replying to who.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My trackball brothers! :woop:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After a week of using a trackball, you sit and wonder how you were so wrong for so long.

You are born again.

Works well with Starbound, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I guess the only way to be a relatively unbothered game dev is to work on a game, never give out personal details whatsoever, and only release it once it's done.

Oh, and never have forums. Ever.

Sorry that there's so much poo poo you have to put up with, Tiy. :smith: If it helps, I was playing Minecraft with friends the other day, and kept thinking about how much I wanted to just beam to my space ship and hang out there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tiyuri posted:

Really cool stuff

So's Starbound. gently caress all of the haters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

iuvian posted:

Wouldn't people with the most playtime be the ones with the best opinion on the state of the game?

That logic fails once you realize that these basement-dwelling morons don't do anything else but hate-play this game, apparently.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Genuinely pumped for this, having not played Starbound (and none of the nightlies) since around March or April.

I mean, I'm so pumped, I've resubscribed to this thread. Does everyone still actually hate the game, or is it ironic? It's hard to tell.

Sarcastic and non-sarcastic replies are welcome, tia.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I feel bad for you guys who are jaded from following the nightlies, or from just waiting for the update for so long; I haven't played since April, so I've been having fun just checking out all the new stuff, and I'm looking forward to getting to an outpost. I guess I just like liking stuff, because so far, this game is fun to me. :unsmith:

Apologies if this post just isn't :negative:-enough.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying to change my controls, switching 'Inventory' and 'Drop', so I can open up my inventory with Q (and drop with I, though I don't give a poo poo about that). Every time I try and set a new control, it always says "L-Alt + Q" (or + I). Is this a bug? My alt key is not pressed down or anything, and I even tried clearing both key definitions beforehand, just in case it wasn't allowing two functions per key.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, I know Chucklefish is the... publisher? for Risk of Rain, are the 'gates' modeled after the teleporter in RoR?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Starbound: Winter update is out, frozen dicks and frozen hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

This is the one. We must at least preserve this.

I don't get it, but I was also not following this thread / game for about 8 months.

• Locked thread