Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Varinn posted:

Anyway, continuing the discussion from the last thread, I just don't think the first tier fits at ALL tonally with the rest of the game. Having crude scifi machinery and camping equipment or SOMETHING would feel so much more in line with the rest of the game than Literal Minecraft Progression.

Well, that's the thing though.

I haven't read up on the backstory, but presumably you are either escaping / a stowaway / setting out on this tiny rear end ship to god knows where. The only things you have with you are this matter manipulator you find, a weapon, and some seeds. The 3D printer isn't loaded with any useful things you could create and you didn't bring any tech with you. It makes sense that the matter manipulator you have now might not be some super duper high tech one from back home or whatever. Even more, it's easier to use technology when you already have it than when you have to make it. I know how to use a flashlight, but I sure as hell don't know how to build one. So starting out with more basic tools and eventually working your way up works even in a lore/immersion sense.

So the complaints seem to be -- we have to use pickaxes! To mine ore! Why can't it be more scif-fi!

I mean, I guess whatever floats your boat. I don't mind the standard progression and Tiy has made it clear higher tiers (that are not currently implemented) will have cooler sci-fi stuff. Hell, aren't guns technically tier 2 or tier 3? That's not very far removed from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think the devs should have a huge "THIS IS AN ACTUAL BETA" overlay when you first log in or something.

This game is not feature complete. The progression isn't balanced. There aren't any good tutorials that explain basic things.

This will all be in the game, eventually. But you can't expect much from day 1 of a beta that they're using to actually test various things. I feel like a lot of the "complaints" wouldn't exist if the game was in its complete state, with better hand-holding tutorials/quests and a storyline that explains why you're building from the ground up. At that point I bet the first tier would be over pretty fast, too. Like maybe you'd build yourself some copper armor, find yourself a nice weapon and boom, you summon the boss and whack it into submission and, hey, look, guns! or whatever.

I mean, I feel like that would make people like Varinn feel better. Even if you are stuck making a pickaxe or whatever you'd have cooler tech to play with a lot sooner than what we're seeing now.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Tengames posted:

The whole "caveman" thing kinda falls flat when you start with a space ship, 3d printer, and a high tech matter manipulator, and you have to use said manipulator to cut down your first tree, and mine the stone for your first pickaxe. if it can do all that, why cant I just freaking use that instead of having to bang rocks together for progress?

Clocks posted:

I haven't read up on the backstory, but presumably you are either escaping / a stowaway / setting out on this tiny rear end ship to god knows where. The only things you have with you are this matter manipulator you find, a weapon, and some seeds. The 3D printer isn't loaded with any useful things you could create and you didn't bring any tech with you. It makes sense that the matter manipulator you have now might not be some super duper high tech one from back home or whatever. Even more, it's easier to use technology when you already have it than when you have to make it. I know how to use a flashlight, but I sure as hell don't know how to build one. So starting out with more basic tools and eventually working your way up works even in a lore/immersion sense.

Because your ship doesn't start with much more than a weak-rear end matter manipulator and how exactly are you going to know how to upgrade it if you're stranded on some planet with not much more than that and a flashlight?

The tool is used for moving poo poo around and has some power to break a tree (eventually), the rest you have to build up yourself. I mean, you can use it and very slowly mine rocks if you want, but a pickaxe at that point in time does the job a lot faster.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

There are no hylotl settlements because the ocean biome currently doesn't exist and they live exclusively underwater.

For all you viewers at home that means that there is going to be underwater enemies as well before they're finished.

I was curious about this and was thinking it was something like that (lack of hylotls). Doesn't help that almost no one is playing one currently either, it seems.

But yeah, a lot of complaints boil down to "you're playing an incomplete beta." And the devs are not beyond scratching or reworking huge systems. The upcoming patch is changing how armor/damage works, for example. And all the "why can't we do more scifi stuff!" complaints sound like they'll be coming as bonuses for reaching higher tiers.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oh my god. :3:

Also, eventually they're gonna have to put all those cats in. I sure want me some cattes.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Reiley posted:

I only made it to the Beta sector last time but I'm hoping the patch revises guns to make them more potent against monster, since they felt weak against same-level stuff before. Using the guns is just like Soldat, I love that this game could be a co-op world-exploring Soldat.

Well, they're doing a whole overhaul on the damage/armor system so I guess we'll see how it works! I think it's going to be based more on absolute damage values so it'll be more scalable and less abrupt on how you get your rear end kicked.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

darnon posted:

How does the 3D printer work (other than being an exploit to dupe items for free)?

Items that have a pixel cost when you mouse over them (so, mostly decorations and some tools) can be placed into the 3D printer (open the 3D printer up, then your inventory) and "scanned" for a pixel cost. This destroys the item but allows you to replicate for a pixel cost at a later date, allowing you to make more decorations etc without scouring planets to find another one of whatever thing you want.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Wonder how soon the new patch will drop. I took a few days off of playing when this patch was announced over the weekend (since I'd rather not get too attached and experience the new stuff with a wipe anyway) but seems there may or may not be a character wipe coming, so I'll hold off for a few more hours. Wanna play me some starbound!

vvvv I mean, I assume they are having the patch out by today, if not then sometime tomorrow. I'd rather wait and play with less chance of a reset than to spend a few hours playing the beginning of the game and having to redo it again.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 10, 2013

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I know a lot of people are salty about having to mine coal and stuff, but it's really not a big deal. Try mining down -- you'll actually find a lot of ore! Especially since recently they overcompensated a bit with the ore generation. I've had a lot of fun spelunking and finding connecting caves (you usually don't have to dig that far to find something that connects to something else) and this tends to get you a lot of resources.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, it's unfortunate that it seems like boss drops weren't balanced yet. I picked up like 3 legendary cloud/bubble swords and they were all really bad. Oh well.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Mondlicht posted:

I feel pretty lucky that my starting planet has a ton of coal, though I'm afraid to summon the UFO because I don't think I'm very equipped to fight it!

I literally killed it in like 15s with an iron bow and no armor.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

This thread is full of the most tame red titles ever. :psyduck:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Are there only girl ponies? Not clicking through to read more, so just going off the images posted. I just find it hilarious/stupid that they have that whole brony backstory but they're all girls. Just one more thing I hate about the fandom, how a bunch of stupid guys co-opted what was a nice kid's show.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Another good idea for people who want coal or whatever is to find a desert (or maybe even arid?) planet and start mining any sand/gravel you see. When it comes loose, any ore in it does as well and you can easily scoop it up.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

On the flipside, Hylotls are pretty knowledgeable about most things you can observe, so it's kind of fun to play on one because they're pretty educated about what they're looking at (instead of humans going "woah shiny thing is cool!" or florans going "ssstab!"). Of course, florans going "ssstab" when observing everything is its own kind of fun, so it really just depends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Hylotl are weird. I made one a patch or two ago to check out their examine dialogue, and when I examined a diodia I found it said something like "ah, diodia, one of the few edible vegetables! :smug:"

I thought they were vegetarians? Wouldn't they eat a ton of veggies then?

This isn't true. I was playing a hylotl and walking through an avian village and one of the dialogues from an avian was "oh, you eat meat too? drat it, trolling failed" or something very close to it.

So they're definitely not just vegetarian, or at the very least your player character isn't (obviously).

• Locked thread